PDA

View Full Version : Personal web page

Mike Vickery
10-16-2007, 3:10 PM
http://www.distinctiveturnings.com/mikevickery/

Just made myself a personal web page last week and wanted to see if you guys had any feedback.

Note - This is not for online sales. I have another site set up for online sales I was just playing with some stuff.

Glenn Clabo
10-16-2007, 3:32 PM
Mike,
Nice work...both the turnings and website. The site works nice and smooth...nice pics...nice...nice...nice.

Hey did I tell ya it's nice?

Neal Addy
10-16-2007, 3:48 PM
Great website, Mike! Very elegant presentation, color scheme is easy on the eye, quick loading, and easy to navigate.

Beautiful work, too. I love the bowl on the front page.

I played around with Joomla trying to pick a CMS for my website. Nice to see a working site running on it. I like the way the gallery add-on integrates with it. I may have to take another look at Joomla.

Mike Vickery
10-16-2007, 4:19 PM
Neal,
I had tried Joomla a while ago and thought it was a total pain. Just installed it again last week and had a much easier time for some reason. Once you get the hang of it, it is really easy to use. I think the biggest thing is getting a good template to start with, some are easier to modify then others. Mine is based on the default template with a few changes to the header and a custom logo added.

Neal Addy
10-16-2007, 4:27 PM
I may seriously consider switching. I went with Drupal (see profile) but was never happy with the gallery integration. I eventually coded my photos in by hand. It works but it's not very easy to manage when I want to add a new item.

Paul Engle
10-16-2007, 4:29 PM
Nice site Mike, i have to redo mine as it was my first time at it and got way too much text in it but am limited to 10mb as that is all I can afford ( free with DSL).Site is smooth and works very well , well done man!

Sean Troy
10-16-2007, 4:52 PM
Very well done and easy to navigate. How are things in Arizona?

Mike Vickery
10-16-2007, 5:12 PM
I may seriously consider switching. I went with Drupal (see profile) but was never happy with the gallery integration. I eventually coded my photos in by hand. It works but it's not very easy to manage when I want to add a new item.

I actually wanted to integrate in Coppermine since I already had a gallery installed on my server but I could not get it working. Using the components was a really easy integration though I tried several before I got one I really liked.

Mike Vickery
10-16-2007, 5:14 PM
Things are great. We just had elections last week in the club and we have Stu Batty doing an all day demo in a couple of weeks.

You will have to come back out for a club visit one of these days. Maybe work it out so you can do a club demo.

Bernie Weishapl
10-16-2007, 7:11 PM
Mike that is a very nice site. I like the ease of navagation. Well done.

Kevin McPeek
10-17-2007, 1:13 AM
The site is looking great Mike. I'm jealous.

Brian Weick
10-17-2007, 8:57 AM
Nice site mike- well done , I like the way you laid it out- I am in the process of redoing mine, if I ever find the time to finish it. I must say that is a great picture of you and that lathe- well done- Question, I use front-page to design and upload my web page - what did you use?
Brian

Mike Vickery
10-17-2007, 11:13 AM
Nice site mike- well done , I like the way you laid it out- I am in the process of redoing mine, if I ever find the time to finish it. I must say that is a great picture of you and that lathe- well done- Question, I use front-page to design and upload my web page - what did you use?
Brian
I used a content management system called Joomla.
http://www.joomla.org/
It is free open source software and is pretty easy to use. It is very popular so their is a wide variety of plugins and templates available.

I am a computer geek by profession but not a web guy so I needed to keep it simple. In total I put the site together in just a couple of days. I probably spent more time learning how to make the trasparent background pictures then anything else.