PDA

View Full Version : Woodturning in Iraq- Second practice run

dave barnhart
10-16-2007, 1:51 PM
Ok, I learned some lessons from my first practice cut. After waiting for my Corpsman to make his drumsticks, and that pesky work stuff, I finally got to use the lathe. My design has changes a little due to the chisels I have available. The responses from my 'technical question' helped me not make the mistakes I made the first time. I used Tung Oil finish on it (since it is all I have). Oh the white cards are my gauges, since I don't have a divider.

Glenn Clabo
10-16-2007, 2:06 PM
Dave,
I believe you have just made one Big-A-Bonker.

Ken...should we hire the man when he gets back...even though he let a Corpsman go ahead of him?;)

(Ken Fitzgerald and I are the founders of Bonkers-R-Us, Inc. )

Ken Fitzgerald
10-16-2007, 2:13 PM
I dunno?........Let a corpsman go ahead of him?.......Wait...in a dangerous area ....that might not be a bad idea!......A Marine?......Yeah....we'll hire him!

Are we to the point where we need to hire people Glenn? I missed the last board meeting......:eek: :rolleyes: :D

Dave......You sure show a lot of determination...and skill.....nicely done!

And thanks for all you do!

Jon Lanier
10-16-2007, 2:32 PM
Does the mayor intend to use that on the violators? Whew, that's a honker. Make sure he knows Teddy's words, "I speak softly and carry a big ... GAVEL."

Good to see your doing well.

Jim Kountz
10-16-2007, 8:59 PM
Dave you gotta quit that man, youre making me look really bad now!! LOL just kidding of course. Your stuff is looking way better than mine and Im practicing every night! Guess youre just a natural at it. Good job and thanks for all you do!!

Stay safe.
PS, wheres home when your in the states?

dave barnhart
10-17-2007, 11:27 AM
Hmm. I didn't think it was all that big. Its about 2.25" diameter max. Some of the city counsel need more than a bonk with a gavel, in my opinion.

Jon Lanier
10-17-2007, 4:05 PM
Maybe it's the relationship to the lathe we are seeing. Could be that we are use to seeing larger lathes and out ratio is out of whack. Could you put a ruler or hand or something in the picture to give us a better idea of size?

dave barnhart
10-18-2007, 3:04 PM
Here is a better shot. I was also able to use the Seabee's drill press. I made a 'v' block to hold the head. The handle is an old mosquito-net pole (birch I think) that I turned. The production pieces will be all White Oak. 3.75" long 2.25"dia & approx 12" total. I don't like the finish, so I will have to work on that. I only placed one coat of Tung Oil Finish on the head (I didn't want to waste it, since I don't have much left.)

Jason Christenson
10-18-2007, 3:31 PM
I think it looks good, but the handle looks too "spindly" to me.

Jason

Jon Lanier
10-18-2007, 4:02 PM
Here is a better shot. The production pieces will be all White Oak. 3.75" long 2.25"dia & approx 12" total.

Thanks for that pic.. It doesn't look so honking big now. Just right. :cool:

dave barnhart
10-18-2007, 11:33 PM
The mosquito-net pole is only 3/4" dia to start with, and I didn't want it any smaller. My production will be a little thicker and I want to turn three beads near the head. The bead commemorate the three times we defeated the Iraqis. 1991, 2003, and the next time.

Brian Weick
10-20-2007, 12:11 PM
:) Looks great Dave! It's hard to step away from the vortex - I give you a lot of credit Dave! nice work-keep it going!
Brian

Dennis Peacock
10-20-2007, 12:27 PM
Looks real good there Dave.!!!! I think you are doing really well.

Andy Hoyt
10-20-2007, 2:58 PM
"Corpsman going first."

What's wrong with that?

Oorah!

Nice bonker, Marine.