PDA

View Full Version : Sliding TV Tray??

Gilbert Vega
10-16-2007, 12:14 PM
I'm wanting to build a TV tray for my MIL for Christmas. It will be setup permenant and act as a side table when not in use. I thought are to either have the table top sliding over the chair or rotating over the chair. The exposed table base will have a storage compartment. The conern is stability when the top is extended over the chair. The table design will probably be similar to a Chippendale side table.

Has anyone built anything similar? Thought on stability? Thanks.

Gilbert Vega
10-16-2007, 6:35 PM
***bump***

Jamie Buxton
10-16-2007, 7:31 PM
I built a similar device to hold a book. I had an arm along the floor that extended under the chair. You could chin yourself on the bookstand. I'm not sure how that approach would hook into the Chippendale style, but I'd think that compromising the visuals would be better than dumping the MIL's dinner in her lap. :)

Gilbert Vega
10-18-2007, 1:54 PM
That's what I thought about originally. Maybe I can work in a stretcher and figure some way to attach it to the chair. Thanks for the input.

Larry Crim
10-18-2007, 3:36 PM
I'd like to help but I need a visual do you have anything on paper yet that could give us a better idea of the direction you are going?
larry

Gilbert Vega
12-28-2007, 12:10 PM
After a lot of head scratching, I came up with this design. It is made of Walnut with a Maaple ply bottom. The only thing I really don't like is the esposed drawer slides. The storage are created when the table-top is extended can be used for storing napkins, salt/pepper shakers, etc.

The apron is split on the end that extends, All joints are mortise and tenon. One coat of Tung oil has been applied in the pics. The bottom will be finished with lacquer and the top will be coated with wipe-on ploy.

Thanks for looking.