PDA

View Full Version : Sears/Bosch router kit on clearance at Sears

Jason White
10-16-2007, 11:20 AM
I was at the Sears Hardware & Appliance store in Chelmsford, MA this morning and they had 3 of these left for $122. It's made by Bosch and nearly identical to the 1617EVSK.

http://products.howstuffworks.com/craftsman-professional-variable-speed-2-1-4-hp-fixed-base-plunge-base-router-combo-kit-26620-review.htm

If you can't find one locally, I wonder if the manager there might transfer it to another store for you.

JW

Gary Keedwell
10-16-2007, 11:40 AM
Oh no, a Sear's sale?:mad: :)
Gary

SCOTT ANDREWS
10-16-2007, 11:59 AM
Oh no, a Sear's sale?:mad: :)
Gary

Here goes another 121 post thread.Gary,use a bigger club to beat the horse this time.

Eric Larsen
10-16-2007, 12:02 PM
Is this the one you mean?

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00928084000P?vName=Tools&cName=Portable+Power+Tools&sName=Routers+%26+Laminate+Trimmers

EDIT: Obviously not... the link above has three bases. Dee-dee-dee.

Randal Stevenson
10-16-2007, 1:33 PM
As it's on closeout, you will have to view it on Sears parts site. The full model # is 130.26620. It looks like the Bosch 1617 and Sears used to list it as 1617-12 for their part number. It is red in color and the handles on the fixed base are stained differently (dark), and sits on a clear base plate that uses the Craftsman screw pattern. The body is still threaded for the Bosch plate/bolt patern. They originally had the switch problem that Bosch also had (why I used to see them at my local parts store) but I was told it was corrected also. It does have the above the table adjustment of the later Bosch series.

I picked up one for $82 the other day after buying one for my father last year (he still has lot's of Craftsman bolt pattern jigs/templates/bushings etc from the early 70's. Now I can leave a motor in either base and still have spare parts, or sell off the Craftsman bases.

Carl Crout
10-16-2007, 3:01 PM
In one of the ww mags, they tested these and found that they were NOT identical to the Bosch. It seems that Bosch is making one that meets Sears (lesser) specs not theirs.
Buyer beware..

Randal Stevenson
10-16-2007, 3:06 PM
In one of the ww mags, they tested these and found that they were NOT identical to the Bosch. It seems that Bosch is making one that meets Sears (lesser) specs not theirs.
Buyer beware..

This has been debated before. They tested ONE Craftsman 1617. They could have just as easily got a bad one.

Jason White
10-16-2007, 3:22 PM
Not defending Sears, but those reviewer remarks were directed more toward the base plate and some accessories that the Bosch kit included but the Sears kit did not.

I own the Bosch and have fondled the Sears. I've no doubt that, at least on the inside of the machine, it's the exact same router.

Even if it's a slightly lesser router, it's still made by Bosch and better than anything Sears has carried in years. They must not have made much of a profit on them, however, because it appears they won't be carrying them anymore.

JW

Buyer beware..

Carl Crout
10-16-2007, 9:50 PM
This has been debated before. They tested ONE Craftsman 1617. They could have just as easily got a bad one.

As far as I know, ALL magazine tests are done with only ONE of each product. If we put any stock in any other tests on any other SINGLE products, then we gotta trust this one. Therefore the Crapsman router is in fact made by Bosch but to Crapsman specs not Bosch's higher standards.

You could always buy one of each and take them apart and prove me (and others) wrong. Have you heard the saying" Put up or shut up"?:D

Randal Stevenson
10-17-2007, 1:19 AM
Have you heard the saying" Put up or shut up"?:D

I believe you will find, that attitude isn't tolerated around here. My basis has been the last year using my Bosch and my fathers Craftsman Bosch clone. The reason I bought him the Craftsman was due to his accessories that he has had for years (such as the bushings not included with the Craftsman).
Last week bought the Craftsman version of the Bosch on closeout for $82 + tax but am NOT planning on disassembling a perfectly fine working tool, for you.
But by the manuals...
On the parts schematics, the internals are the same. The base plate, handles, Craftsman labeled parts are different. The Field, Armature, bearings, etc, use the same part numbers in both manuals.

Carl Crout
10-17-2007, 9:07 AM
I believe you will find, that attitude isn't tolerated around here. My basis has been the last year using my Bosch and my fathers Craftsman Bosch clone. The reason I bought him the Craftsman was due to his accessories that he has had for years (such as the bushings not included with the Craftsman).
Last week bought the Craftsman version of the Bosch on closeout for $82 + tax but am NOT planning on disassembling a perfectly fine working tool, for you.
But by the manuals...
On the parts schematics, the internals are the same. The base plate, handles, Craftsman labeled parts are different. The Field, Armature, bearings, etc, use the same part numbers in both manuals.

I didn't know that Craftsman was using Bosch part numbers. When did they start doing that?

Randal Stevenson
10-17-2007, 10:22 AM
I didn't know that Craftsman was using Bosch part numbers. When did they start doing that?

No idea, as I have no idea either what they used for part numbers before. I thought it was always based on the manufacturers internal numbers (Atlas, King Seely, Ryobi, etc...).
Every part number I've ever looked up from them (due to convience of the diagrams), had a part number which belonged to the manufacturer, which I googled for price shopping.

Wade Lippman
10-18-2007, 2:58 PM
I went to Sears. All they had was the display model. It was missing the collets, wrenches, dust guard, and whatever else comes with it. One handle was broken. They were willing to take 10% off the $120 because it was the display.
Geez I hate Sears. We have bought our last three major appliances from them because there isn't anyone else nearby. I am going to try harder next time.