PDA

View Full Version : How much clearance

John Viercinski
10-16-2007, 9:41 AM
I'm renovating my kitchen and am adding a counter/breakfast bar. The bar will be from right to left as seen in the attached picture. I need to know how much clearance to leave for safe passage past the counter. I couldn't find anything in the residential code book. I was thinking 30"-36". Its a small kitchen, so the more counterop space the better, but I need to leave enough room to let someone by.

Any suggestions??

Gary Keedwell
10-16-2007, 9:48 AM
I'm not a contractor nor do I play one on TV, but I would ask for some code because I'm thinking about wheelchairs and such.:)
Gary

Paul Girouard
10-16-2007, 9:51 AM
My rules of thumb are as follows ,

36" is do-able , as in two people can sort of slip past each other , and carrying items like grocery bags is comfortable.

42" is "comfortable " width when two people are commonly in a space.

30" is a bottle neck unless it is a one person kitchen and then 30" is tight when caring grocery bags , a commonly done thing in a kitchen.

Anything less than 30" is a nightmare.

Good Luck.

GERALD HARGROVE
10-16-2007, 9:56 AM
John,
I just completed my kitchen renovation and I would suggest 36 to 42. If that is your only access point to bring appliances into the kitchen, make sure you have enough width for that. Taking doors off the fridge is a nightmare.

John Viercinski
10-16-2007, 10:07 AM
Thanks for the input. I actually thumbed through the residential code book again today and found the passage. Code requires a minimum of 36" for safe passage. So, I'll use 36" right down to the 1/32" to get the most out of my cabinets and countertops.

Matt Day
10-16-2007, 10:25 AM
36" is ADA for wheelchair passage.

Grant Morris
10-16-2007, 11:19 AM
I would say 36" minimum. That is probably the building code minimum these days and would also allow you to get your big new fridge into it :-).

glenn bradley
10-16-2007, 5:44 PM
I agree with a lot of the responses here. 36" minimum; more is better. Rig up some scrap to simulate the opening and have two people pass each other while carrying a cup of coffee or doing some other normal activity and you'll find a 'comfy' width right away.

Pete Brown
10-16-2007, 11:20 PM
If you're using that space to get a future fridge upgrade (or stove) in or out, you need 36+ inches. That's more comfortable to work within anyway. Remember to take into account any countertop overhang.

Pete

Richard Blaine
10-17-2007, 11:56 AM
Obviously, if code requires 36", you're going to have to do at least that. However, when we built, a mix-up caused us to go 33". Not pleasant, but not terrible. Any less than that would not have worked.

Dave Falkenstein
10-17-2007, 1:39 PM
I'd also say a minimum of 36". Measure your refrigerator and make sure it will fit through whatever space you provide. I had one that had to be lifted over an island to get it into the kitchen. That was a bear!!!