PDA

View Full Version : WorkSharp or WC Slow Speed Grinder and Wolverine Jig

Bill Ragland
10-15-2007, 10:54 PM
Hope this is the right place to post this as I am primarily looking for advice from those who turn.

So I have been reading reviews and searching for comments on sharpening systems. It is a bit confusing but I have decided to go with the WorkSharp or the WoodCraft slow speed grinder and a Wolverine jig.
My primary use will be for sharpening turning chisels. I have only read a couple of posts about using the WorkSharp for turning chisels. It is obvious that it is done freehand and wonder how difficult this would be to learn while it appears that the Wolverine Jig and grinder are made to order for sharpening turning chisels.

I do like the small footprint of the WorkSharp.

So I am in a quandary as to what to do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, especially if someone out there is using the WorkSharp for sharpening turning chisels.

Also I am a newbie at turning and therefore new at sharpening turning chisels.

Tim A. Mitchell
10-15-2007, 11:11 PM
Are we all looking for new sharpening equipment? Actually, there have been a few posts recently about grinders and the jig. The concensus that I have read is the Woodcraft grinder and the Wolverine Jig are a good way to go. I am sure the people that own will chime in for that.

I think I am going to push for the combo for Christmas (or at least the jig, since I do have a grinder).

Good luck in your decision. I will be reading the responces you get as well:D .

Tom Ricochet
10-15-2007, 11:41 PM
I use the WC slow speed grinder and Wolverine jig for sharpening. I do not own a Work Sharp, but have seen a demo twice, and used it a little bit. I think it is a good tool for sharpening cabinet makers chisels, carving tools, and the like, and I may indeed get one for that purpose. My advise, if you are primarily interested in lathe tool sharpening at this time, get the grinder and Wolverine first - if you don't want to invest in both that and the Work Sharp. I don't think the Work Sharp is nearly as fast as the grinder, and does not offer the repeatability of the Wolverine jig. The finer edge possible with the Work Sharp isn't a big consideration for most turning tools as it would be for chisels and carving tools.

Rick Apt
10-16-2007, 6:28 AM
I have both and while I am infatuated with my new WorkSharp toy, I still use my grinder and Wolverine often. I would not be without the grinder as it is able to everything the Worksharp can do just, in my case, without the precision.

I will say that I saw an incredible difference turning dry, roughed out bowls after using the WorkSharp ... but I would buy the slow-speed grinder, the wolverine and attachments first.

Andy Blackwell
10-16-2007, 7:39 AM
I vote for the Wolverine and attachments as a first investment. It is great for bowl and spindle gouges, skew chisels and scrappers. And the grind is repeatable which I think is important. With a repeatable grind you know how the tool is going to respond to the wood (except when you get a catch which no one ever does.):D

Nick Clayton
10-16-2007, 8:36 AM
I own the Woodcraft slow speed grinder with the various Wolverine attachments. One thing that really helped out was upgrading to Oneway Wheels and their balancing system. Silky smooth.........

Bill Fleming
10-16-2007, 11:07 AM
I am a Tormek user and love it.

I have heard some say that set up take more time - have not found this and have used Wolverine system as well.

I have purchased a second Universal Support so my setup with one support for bowl gouges and the other support for either scrapers or Lancer skews depending on what I am working on.

This approach is fast - provide a great edge and I love the Tormek for all the other sharpening jobs as well.

Wolverine is great but really for turning tools only and the grinder, I have found less suited for other sharpening needs. Some have both.

Cheers

Bill Ragland
10-16-2007, 10:02 PM
Thanks for all the responses. It seems that the WC Slow Speed Grinder and Wolverine Jig (will probably get the Penn State version) is deemed best for sharpening turning chisels. So I'll take all the sage advice and go with that system.

I still like the WorkSharp, expecially its small footprint but I won't go against the wisdom provided here. Thanks again, great forum.

Bill Ragland

Bill Ragland
11-07-2007, 7:03 PM
Thanks to all for your advice. I finally decided on the WC slow speed grinder. I built a clone of the wolverine jig and while I am no expert at it yet, this set up lets me put a pretty good edge on the turning tools. There is a little wobble in the grinder but only at shutdown so not a real problem. I was dreading the sharpening of the tools but now find it easy and actually kind of satisfying. Thanks again. I made the right choice.