PDA

View Full Version : ShopFox 1741 dust collection

Tom Maple
10-15-2007, 10:11 PM
I would like some feedback from those of you who have already used your SF 1741 with a dust collection system. I have started assembling my jointer and noticed that the dust collection chute has two triangular open areas near the top. They are one either side of the chute.
My first thought was to seal them up with some sheet metal so no chips or dust would enter the cabinet where the motor is. Has anyone done this? Or is it not necessary?
My second thought was that perhaps the openings are needed to provide enough air flow for the dust collector. Perhaps the opening around the cutter head is so small that not much air flows around it.
If a modification is to be done I would like to do it before I install hundreds of pounds of cast iron on top of the cabinet.
Thanks for your help.
Tom

Bart Leetch
10-15-2007, 10:33 PM
I don't know about the SF jointer, but my Sears 6" has openings 4" wide by 3/4" high opening on each side right under the cutter head. You can see the one on the left side in the picture. I've never had any dust come out of them. I do believe that they are to let enough air flow to make chip collection possible.

glenn bradley
10-15-2007, 11:50 PM
Quite a few folks have mentioned this. I'm sure you'll find other posts about it if you use the search function. Pieces of 1/4" ply silicone chalked in the right paces was the cure if I recall. All recommend doing it before assembly. Here's one - http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=53208&highlight=Calling+Jointer

Tom Maple
10-16-2007, 8:52 PM
Thanks for the link, Glenn. I will do as the others have done. It actually is simpler than putting in separate sheet metal pieces as I had originally planned.
Tom