PDA

View Full Version : Doughmakers Lids

Pete Simmons
10-15-2007, 2:17 PM
Spoke to Doughmakers today - No hope for painted lids.

They said some engravers were buying the unpainted lids and painting them themselfs.

Anyone here doing that?

What type of paint? Foodsafe?

Any info.

Anthony Welch
10-16-2007, 8:49 AM
I've e-mailed doughmakers with no response. So I'm going to order from Nordic Ware. I think theirs are enamel paint and not anodized.

Pete Simmons
10-16-2007, 9:15 PM
I have gotton some free samples from Nordic Ware.

Yes they are painted and should engrave well but I am very disappointed in the quality.

A Doughmakers pan weighs 5 times what the Nordic Ware pan weighs.

I do not feel the quality is of the level that I would want to sell.

If you are comfortable with the thin low quality pan they are very cheap to buy.

Laura Zaruba
10-17-2007, 11:18 AM
I just don't understand why Doughmakers wasn't able to make it work. While the NordicWare pans were popular with my customers they scratched easy. After seeing the difference in quality between DM & NW I swore I'd never go back to NW. I still have requests for engraved pans but I'm very hesitant to sell NW pans again.

Roger McDowell
10-17-2007, 11:49 AM
I just received a supply of raw lids from DM that I'm having powder coated and will offer for sale if anyone is interested.

Joe Windsor
10-17-2007, 5:27 PM
Don't want to stir the pot....but I was just doing some online searching and came up with this site: http://www.doughmakers.com/engraved.htm

I wonder if that is why they won't sell colored lids to anyone???

Pete Simmons
10-17-2007, 6:45 PM
I wonder if that is why they won't sell colored lids to anyone???

----------------------

Why would you say or think that?

I am KarensCakePans.com and have done fine with Doughmakers.

One of these sites (mycakepan I think) has always painted their own lids and the say they sell 50,000 pans a year.

James & Zelma Litzmann
10-17-2007, 8:25 PM
Hey everyone, I order boxes of the NW and all I will say is I wish I hadn't. I really miss doughmakers!

Is everyone else getting the noticed to subscribed threads? I am not.

Anthony Welch
10-17-2007, 10:33 PM
I've thought the same as Joe. There were those who are on DM links as selling the pan lids, and I also wondered what was going on.

Okay, so be it. I have a powder coat machine (from Harbour Freight) that do rifle casings for pens I make. I also have in storage, a gas oven that we purchased new, but moved to a home that was all electric except for heat. All I need to do is run a line to the oven and I'm set to do items as large as these lids.

Does anyone have anything they'd like to share as to doing this our selves.

The powder coat machine is not that expensive and you only need an oven big enough to place the item in. And the powder also is not out of reach either.

If this is doable', I'd like someone else to chime in and let's put this together for our selves. Someone could do a tutorial on this, that may have more experience than me. (Remember, I havn't even started engraving yet:mad: ).

mike klein
05-18-2012, 5:39 PM
I was getting ready to order some Nordic Ware lids but after reading this thread I'm having 2nd thoughts. Looks like its been a few years since these posts were made so maybe NW has made some quality improvements.

Has anyone had any experience lately with the colored cake pan lids or are they still made cheap.

Mike

Mike Lassiter
05-18-2012, 7:19 PM
We ordered from NW a couple of years ago, and haven't sold any yet. We lasered a red one (multiple times in fact) and afterwards the red area that was lasered stayed a light pink. Not anidized but painted I'm pretty sure. The tops don't fit very well to me and honestly are not the quality that I want to offer. We likely will use the NW ones we purchase as gifts.

With that said, I am very demanding as to the quality I offer, or buy. I don't buy the cheapest looking for top quality. And I don't offer top quality for the cheapest price either. I have not got to see DM pans first hand, but they appear to be high quality. Quality matters more to me, and I think you have to start with something of good quality to end with a high quality item.

Bob McGinn
05-19-2012, 6:53 AM
The Doughmaker lids we have used seem to be powder coated and Yes this is workable. Another business in the area (motorcycle) is set up with an excellent Powder Coat facility. Any color you want... I'll get some conversation going to see where he might be from a cost standpoint (both low and high volume runs). This guy produces high quality powder coating on otherwise difficult wheel surfaces.

mike klein
05-19-2012, 9:48 AM
I'm glad I asked before I bought. Thanks for your input guys.

Mike