PDA

View Full Version : How would you trim this window?

Todd Burch
02-06-2004, 8:48 AM
I have this radiused window with an 18" radius. The client does not like the curved drywall, and I need to trim it out.

What would you suggest? I'll be making 3/4" cherry box frames to insert into the other rectangular window casings, and the frames will extend out 3/4" into the room past the drywall to meet the block paneling framing. However, all the rest of the fur-down around the room, it will be painted drywall except for the crown below the furdown and again where the fur down meets the ceiling. (In other words, the bottom corners of the fur downs will be painted)

Thanks for any suggestions. Todd.

Walt Pater
02-06-2004, 9:12 PM
To be clear, Todd- The client doesn't like the curve that runs laterally out from the window to the bottom arc of the green board patch? Does s/he not like the expanding radius? I ask because If you can preserve the 18" radius of the window sash to where it would meet the front of the fur-down, you'll have an easier go of it, IMHO. What does the panelling look like?
Does that fur-down conceal HVAC or other ductwork?
Ain't trimming a bee-utch sometimes?
Walt.
PS I'm thinkin' some sort of pediment, not standing too proud, where the green board is, then echoing the panelling inside the arch? Hmmm. maybe not. This is why I like to follow plans.

Todd Burch
02-06-2004, 11:51 PM
Hey Walt.

The fur-down is hollow. It didn't used to be there, but I had the sheetrockers add it because the top of the window was only 1½" from the ceiling. That would have made installing crown impossible, and still would have been a trim-out challenge.

I can re-rock to keep an 18" radius, however, it would also have to slope down to allow ceiling beams & crown to be installed above.

Here's another (poor quality) image of what the paneling will look like on that wall.

I follow plans too - but in the case - I'm MAKING THEM AS I GO!!

Todd

Walt Pater
02-07-2004, 7:25 AM
Todd: Nice rendering. I didn't know about the box beams. I am absolutely, positively, 100% stumped. I recommend that you:
1) Give deposit back.
2) Declare "Miller Time."
3) Call Felder and cancel. I'm sure Austrians are very forgiving.
Seriosly, though. The more I look at your drawing, I really think that once it's all up (the coffer, the crown), you'll lose the arch. My eye (and this is dubious) sees the crown and the interior radius of the window-is there a way to put up some faced cherry jamb extensions in the arched window, to highlight that curve, rather than the drywall arch? Maybe one of the architects will see this post, my computer will break, and you can get some real feedback. Good luck. Walt.

Tyler Howell
02-07-2004, 8:55 AM
[QUOTE]
1) Give deposit back.
2) Declare "Miller Time."
3) Call Felder and cancel. I'm sure Austrians are very forgiving.

LMAO:D:D

You guys know how to start my day!

How would some matching bead board in the curved space with a trim piece on the facia? 90 deg. to the window rather than the cave effect? Its going to look great whatever you do Todd.
Maybe a recessed lamp?

Ed Weiser
02-07-2004, 9:54 AM
Todd:
I think you really only have two choices: 1) Pull the center radius window and replace it with a matching rectangular sash to match the others or 2) extend the soffit all the way across with a return closer to the window to avoid covering the glazing. Personally, I would pull the window; it will restore the elegance of the project and avoid the impression of "making do" design.
Just my $.02.

Ed

Tony Laros
02-07-2004, 11:09 AM
Can you replace the high 18"radius window with a half circle 18" radius? This would allow the box to go straight across, and probably leave enough room for a curved jamb and curved casing. Is the exterior brick/siding finished? That would be another complication. To me, the round-top installed is the wrong size for the room height, and will always look like a design error.

Todd Burch
02-07-2004, 12:25 PM
Tony, I think you hit the nail on the head, so to speak. The window is definately too tall for the room. Before I had the fur-down built around the window, there was only 1½" from the top of the window to the ceiling - and that was with no trim yet installed.

I just remembered that I had a picture of it taken last May (can you spell "drawn out project..."?) The photo angle is not the best, but this is how it was to start with. From the outside of the house, it looks great.