PDA

View Full Version : Good wood in Kansas City???

Greg Muller
10-15-2007, 12:08 PM
All,
I am trying to locate a good source of wood in the Kansas City area. Being that I do not yet have a planer or jointer (however I am in the market for used tools of any kind!!!), I need it to be finished. If there are any SMC members in the area, I would love to pick your brain.

Also, does anyone know of a KC area company that will do large item planing/surface sanding?

The more resources in the Kansas City area I can find, the better!! All suggestions are welcome!

mark page
10-15-2007, 2:27 PM
Greg,

PM sent

Greg Muller
10-16-2007, 8:53 PM
Mark,
I received your PM and also one from your contact. I left him a message.

I am really starting to get enthused about woodworking again after a few years off after a home fire, then marriage and kids. Don't ask which was more lethal to the woodworking, the family or the fire... It's too close to call.

I will be purchasing a portable planer and a jointer as soon as I can find a good deal, used may be a good option fo me right now, so if you hear about anyone selling in the area, let me know!

Again, thanks or the contact!! I owe you one.

Don C Peterson
10-16-2007, 9:03 PM
I too have been trying to find a good source of lumber in the KC area. Liberty Hardwoods is a good choice, I was very happy with the Ash that I bought from them. The biggest drawback is that you can't select your own pieces.

Recently I stumbled across Mark Frieden Hardwoods. http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/013683.php. He is great to deal with he planes both sides of the wood, but doesn't rip a straight edge. It's also a bit of a road trip. The prices were right though...

Even more recently I found Simpsons Sawmill up near St. Joseph http://www.simpsons-nativehardwoods.com/index.html I haven't bought from them, but they seem like good folks to deal with, and their prices beat Liberty on most things.

Schutte is really expensive, but they have a good selection, particularly if you are wanting pre-dimensioned boards.

Anyone have any other good sources?

Greg Muller
10-16-2007, 9:56 PM
A guy working at Woodcaft in OP told me about Liberty Hardwoods and I was planning on making a run up there this weekend, but they don't let you select your own??? I never heard of such a thing. Do you have to preorder or something?

Schutte has finished and sized wood? I might try them if I can locate them.

Thanks for the links and ideas! :)

Lester Gillett
10-16-2007, 10:21 PM
Hi All, Liberty Hards woods is going to open a New Store Called Metro Hardwoods. They will be open some time later this month. The store
will be on Noland RD across the lot form Harbor Freight store. They said
they will be selling lumber and equipment. Will post a note when they
are open.

I have some lumber to sell as well . We have Walnut and Oak
with a small amount of cherry. I work with a sawmill east of Here and
we can mill your logs, just let us know and we can tell you where we
are. 816 588-1785.

Lester

Don C Peterson
10-16-2007, 11:10 PM
A guy working at Woodcaft in OP told me about Liberty Hardwoods and I was planning on making a run up there this weekend, but they don't let you select your own??? I never heard of such a thing. Do you have to preorder or something?

Schutte has finished and sized wood? I might try them if I can locate them.

Thanks for the links and ideas! :)

Yes, Liberty is generally geared toward commercial sales but they will do retail. You call, place your order, and then go pick it up. They are located just south of Worlds Of Fun. http://www.libertyhardwoodsinc.com/ The one experience I had with them I was buying over 100BF of Ash for bunk beds, and while I couldn't pick and choose my boards, I was very happy with the quality. In fact due to the high quality of the boards in general, I wound up with quite a bit of extra wood at the end of the project because I just didn't have as much waste as I thought I would.

Rick Williams
10-16-2007, 11:17 PM
Schutte is down on Southwest Blvd. Do a Google search for Schutte Lumber and you'll find them.

Larrys Sawmill up in NW Missouri is another option. PM me and I'll send you the link.

Do a Woodfinder search as someone else mentioned.

Greg Muller
10-16-2007, 11:43 PM
I did the Woodfinder search, Schutte wasn't listed, but I just located them on Google, thanks all!

Jamie Baalmann
10-17-2007, 12:14 AM
http://www.paxtonwood.com/kansas-city.html You might try Paxton... We get qswo from them and it is nice stuff

Randal Stevenson
10-17-2007, 12:31 AM
Hi All, Liberty Hards woods is going to open a New Store Called Metro Hardwoods. They will be open some time later this month. The store
will be on Noland RD across the lot form Harbor Freight store. They said
they will be selling lumber and equipment. Will post a note when they
are open.

I have some lumber to sell as well . We have Walnut and Oak
with a small amount of cherry. I work with a sawmill east of Here and
we can mill your logs, just let us know and we can tell you where we
are. 816 588-1785.

Lester

Liberty Hardwoods, isn't open on Saturdays, to my knowledge. Just during the week (commercial sales is their target). They moved from over by my house, about the time I found out about them (isn't this always the case). I appreciate the info on Metro Hardwoods, as I have been watching them work on the store, and no one I knew was sure if they were going to be a wood supplier, or a hardwood flooring store. I bought some of Lesters cutoffs this summer for small project boards and need to get my shop in order so I have room to put in an order. Haven't make it up by St Joe yet, but heard good things, and haven't been to Paxton's since the buyout, (heard some of them were getting more out of the wood side, so I didn't want to go and be disappointed).
I am looking forward to Metro Hardwoods, I just hope it's not the boutique feel, it looks like it is going to be, by its size.

Greg Muller
10-17-2007, 12:54 AM
I've looked in the windows of thenew Metro Noland Rd store, thought it was a flooring place. I'll be there opening day to check out the stock. I may stop by there tomorow and ask the workers when they are opening, I'll let everyone know.

Greg Cole
10-17-2007, 9:17 AM
I wouldn't bother going to Paxtons. Last time I was there I was not impressed with price, selection or quality.
Schutte has a nice selection if your wallet is fat. I paid $9 a bf for some cherry from them in a pinch last fall, I can get that same material from Mark (mentioned above) for less than 1/2 price. But if you don't have a shop set up, the S4S stuff is 'bout ready to go off the shelf.
Give Mark a call and he's more than happy to talk about what you need-want and just run out on a Saturday morning and pick it up or pick through what he's got. I like to get my sticks rough, but Mark does a good job planing & I don't mind having to SLR & join the edges.
I've heard about Simpsons, but I am just gearing the shop back up for the fall-winter season so now is about time for a lumber run to let things season to the shop. :) Saint Joe isn't THAT far.....
In all honesty, my best lumber deals in KC have been through Craigs list. 100 bf of ash @ 1.50 a bf, 100 bf red elm @ 2.00 a bf.... also missed out on a couple other posts for well aged air dried walnut.... going away for 10 days a darn vacation can ruin a good thing! LOL :rolleyes:

Cheers.

Greg

Marcus Ward
10-17-2007, 10:52 AM
Man I look at the prices on these pages and my backside starts to hurt. You guys need to take a drive down by me (Windsor MO). I pay 2$/bf for quartersawn white oak, 1$/ red oak, 1.75$ plainsawn white oak, 2.20$/bf for cherry, $2 for maple, and I think walnut is going for $2.25 bf. Those are skip planed and straightlined (some are not straightlined). I think you can get em finish planed also but I always buy rough to save money. I think he's also got cedar and ash for relatively cheap also. If anyone is interested let me know and I'll tell you how to get ahold of the guy who owns the sawmill. Just warn me before you come down and clean him out so I can stock up. :D

Greg Muller
10-17-2007, 9:54 PM
Metro Hardwoods info:

I stopped by the new store today as promised, and a guy working there told me that had been planning on opening on 10/22, but due to some suppliers being late, they are now going to open on/near November 1st. He let me in the store to look around, it seems they are going to have a pretty good selection. One whole 50' wall of exotics, plenty of sheet goods, more racks than you can shake a stick at. They also have plenty of ShopFox products on sale. They will be having WW machines on sale and an area for demo and classes.

I left my name, number and address there or a mailing list they are starting. It will tell us the opening date and specials, etc.

Guaranteed I will be there opening day!! Kid, meet Candy Store!:D

Andy Haney
10-18-2007, 7:36 AM
"...Metro Hardwoods...on Noland RD across the lot form Harbor Freight store..."

Does anyone have a street address for this place I can put into MapQuest?

Thanks,
Andy

Greg Muller
10-18-2007, 9:36 AM
Great idea,

here's the address;

4452 South Noland Road
Independence, MO 64055-4743

phone number :
816-373-1710

Store manager;
Jeff Edemann

That's all I have so far...

Don C Peterson
10-18-2007, 10:12 AM
"...Metro Hardwoods...on Noland RD across the lot form Harbor Freight store..."

Does anyone have a street address for this place I can put into MapQuest?

Thanks,
Andy

Andy,

I see you are out in Ottawa. Have you dealt with Mark Friedan? I bought some Walnut from him a couple of weeks ago. He's out just west of Ottawa, and his pricess were pretty good (he seemed like a really nice guy too.)

Andy Haney
10-18-2007, 8:21 PM
Andy,

I see you are out in Ottawa. Have you dealt with Mark Friedan? I bought some Walnut from him a couple of weeks ago. He's out just west of Ottawa, and his pricess were pretty good (he seemed like a really nice guy too.)

Yes I have, and it is a pleasure doing business with him. Next time you come this way, give me a heads up. I'll be happy to buy you a cup of coffee and visit with woodworkers.

Andy

Jim Andrew
10-18-2007, 9:20 PM
You guys might check out the Forestry Forum. It's mostly a group of sawyers. There are some around and in KC. Most have lumber for sale as well as doing custom sawing. I joined after I bought a mill, and have picked up quite a few tips. Nice guys on the FF.

Brian Ross
10-18-2007, 10:01 PM
Man I look at the prices on these pages and my backside starts to hurt. You guys need to take a drive down by me (Windsor MO). I pay 2$/bf for quartersawn white oak, 1$/ red oak, 1.75$ plainsawn white oak, 2.20$/bf for cherry, $2 for maple, and I think walnut is going for $2.25 bf. Those are skip planed and straightlined (some are not straightlined). I think you can get em finish planed also but I always buy rough to save money. I think he's also got cedar and ash for relatively cheap also. If anyone is interested let me know and I'll tell you how to get ahold of the guy who owns the sawmill. Just warn me before you come down and clean him out so I can stock up. :D

How long a drive from Kansas City to Windsor and would you mind sharing your supplier? Got tickets for the Garth Concert so may as well make the trip worthwhile. TIA
Brian

Greg Muller
10-25-2007, 2:03 PM
I just talked to Jeff, the manager of the new store, Metro Hardwoods. They are opening on November 5th. They are just getting in the bulk of their stock. He also mentioned they are going to carry a few finishing options...

Can't wait for them to open. Saving my dead presidents...