PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite tool?

Bob Glenn
10-15-2007, 11:18 AM
I'll get us started.

No deliberation here for me.

Draw knife....... razor sharp, used bevel down.

I can sit at a shaving horse for hours with a draw knife. It gives me the most latitude and satisfaction when working wood.

frank shic
10-15-2007, 11:19 AM
that would be my tablesaw. i get such an immense amount of joy knocking 49 x 97 inch melamine panels done into virtually chip-free prefinished material for my next cabinet!

Jim Kountz
10-15-2007, 11:22 AM
My brain and hands are my favs!! LOL Seriously though until a couple of weeks ago I would have said my planes and chisels but that was before I got a lathe. Now Im not so sure........

Vic Damone
10-15-2007, 11:50 AM
I'm constantly going to the band saw to cut a little piece for this or that. Watching rough sawed wood come out the back side of the planer seeing the grain for the first time is my favorite. Aside from the noise you basically just stand there and watch. I like that.

Vic

Gary Herrmann
10-15-2007, 11:50 AM
At this point, anything I can use one handed.

Danny Thompson
10-15-2007, 12:12 PM
Right now, my 1/2" Lie-Nielsen Bevel Edge Chisel. Smooth and sweet. Pares woodgrain like a chocolate bar.

Nancy Laird
10-15-2007, 12:17 PM
At present, my lathe. I just love chucking up some wood and seeing what's inside under the rough cover.

Nancy (67 days)

Gary Keedwell
10-15-2007, 12:42 PM
The one I'm currently researching.:)
Gary

Tom Walz
10-15-2007, 1:48 PM
Hand plane

It felt like magic 50 years ago when my grandfather taught me how to use it and I still love the look and feel and smell of a nice curl.

Greg Peterson
10-15-2007, 1:54 PM
My Stanley #60 1/2. Never more than an arms length away.

Jimmy Seckel
10-15-2007, 2:38 PM
Festool OF 1400 router! This thing is amazing so quiet, no dust, it's the first router I can honestly say I really enjoy using. Every other router i've ever used always made me cringe when turning them on and then the dust and mess to clean up afterwards. I am truly amazed by the Festool at the moment, no dust, no vibration and so quiet. However, I'm sure I will have a new favorite soon because I am now hooked on Festool LOL

scott spencer
10-15-2007, 3:33 PM
Favorite power tool is the TS, favorite hand tool is a plane.

Bob Glenn
10-15-2007, 3:37 PM
Festool OF 1400 router! This thing is amazing so quiet, no dust, it's the first router I can honestly say I really enjoy using. Every other router i've ever used always made me cringe when turning them on and then the dust and mess to clean up afterwards. I am truly amazed by the Festool at the moment, no dust, no vibration and so quiet. However, I'm sure I will have a new favorite soon because I am now hooked on Festool LOL

Jimmy, I have a router like that, but mine was made by Stanley over a hundred years ago. ;)

Bob Glenn
10-15-2007, 3:39 PM
Hand plane

It felt like magic 50 years ago when my grandfather taught me how to use it and I still love the look and feel and smell of a nice curl.

Tom, the plane would be a close second for me. I'm still amazed at the tool and the results.

Dan Forman
10-15-2007, 3:45 PM
Though I'd hate to have to rip everthing by hand (in the absence of a table saw), the tool that is most enjoyable to use for me is one of my many handplanes. There is something about using a sharp, well tuned plane that is so gratifying, keeps one very much in the moment, and produces such a smooth finish.

Dan

Jeff Raymond
10-15-2007, 4:13 PM
me Like 12" Jointer.

make Wood Flat.

good.

Jude Kingery
10-15-2007, 4:18 PM
It'd have to be my 3/8" bowl gouge. Jude

Gary Keedwell
10-15-2007, 4:22 PM
me Like 12" Jointer.

make Wood Flat.

good.
I remember the only tool that would open my can of fruit was a P38. For 13 1/2 months, that was my favorite tool.
Gary K.

Kurt Strandberg
10-15-2007, 4:26 PM
My Compucarve, although some might not call it a tool, even with 150 hours on it, it still amazes me what it can do.

Charles Green
10-15-2007, 4:47 PM
I'm going to go with my Dowelmax. This thing is perfect everytime. I just built a new workbench that is doweled with 10 dowels at every joint. 160 dowels total that lined up perfectly and it is super strong.

Dale Osowski
10-15-2007, 5:17 PM
My Japanese planes, I always look forward to using them.

Dale

Dave Sweeney
10-15-2007, 5:21 PM
Not sure that I have a favorite tool but I have the most fun when I'm using my jigsaw.

Jason White
10-15-2007, 5:37 PM
Currently, my Festool ROTEX 150 sander coupled with a CT22 dust collector. I've used the hell out of this thing refinishing floors and stair treads. NO DUST! Smooth as silk and bomb proof.

My wife also just bought me a Lie-Nielsen low angle block plane for my birthday. I haven't really used it yet and hate to, since it's polished so beautifully. It's like shiny jewelry! :D

JW

I'll get us started.

No deliberation here for me.

Draw knife....... razor sharp, used bevel down.

I can sit at a shaving horse for hours with a draw knife. It gives me the most latitude and satisfaction when working wood.

Charles Wiggins
10-15-2007, 5:47 PM
My PC 12v cordless drill. It's about 12-13 years old now. I've build and repaired a lot of stuff with it. I'm on my 3rd battery and second charger, but the drill keeps humming along.

Steve Wargo
10-15-2007, 5:57 PM
I love cutting molding with my moulding planes the most... but my favorite tool is my Sauer & Steiner A5 smoother. It makes wood shiny.

Ben Grunow
10-15-2007, 7:43 PM
I have to say, because my Sawstop cant hear me, that it is my hand plane. A cheapie stanley block plane.

As time passes, I find myself reaching more and more for a hand tool that is close instead of a power tool that involves lots of setup and noise. When the tools is sharp (relatively- maybe a few nail nicks from shingling etc) the results can be amazing, and quiet.

Dan Barr
10-15-2007, 8:00 PM
gotta have em'. cant live without em' I use those things for almost everything except what i do with the Wixey digital angle gauge.

dan