PDA

View Full Version : Mini Review - Festool MFT 1080 w/ATF 55.

Todd Burch
02-06-2004, 8:41 AM
I finally got the MFT 1080 set up and started using it. I like it. I took the box as delivered from Festool onsite and put it together. Attached you will also see the extension table.

Getting the fence guide and the saw rail perpendicular took about 3 three test cuts, and wasn't that big a hassle.

The second shot is a "proof of the pudding" test of the quality of saw cut with the ATF55 using the MFT 1080.

On the top cut-off, you can see some splintering on my prefinished countertop cut-off (generated when I was adjusting for 90°). Bob Marino tells me that even this much should not have occurred, and I think that I did not have the rail's splinterguard fully planted on the surface. The bottom cut-off shown, however, was cut finished-face down, and I am quite pleased with the quality of cut. This is MDF core cherry ply, and with the vacuum attach whil eI made these cuts, there was VERY LITTLE dust. (I've used the ATF 55 on MDF w/o the vacuum, and it (obviously) makes a HUGE MESS). So, the VAC works.

So far, this appears to be a good system for my onsite work. When I start the block paneling soon, I'll really be getting into using it.

Todd

Donnie Raines
02-06-2004, 12:54 PM
Todd, is this the unit that is used only for a circular saw? Or would this happen to be the unit that will permit you to attach a router for cutting straight dado's and gooves and the like?

DonnieR

Chris Padilla
02-06-2004, 2:03 PM
My understanding is it will work with their router, too.

Chris Pasko
02-06-2004, 3:45 PM
I too have the atf55 and the 1080, and my limited use has had fabulous results! I have used it to cut about 5 doors the other day to size, and am tickled with it! The cuts are 100% splinter free so Todd, I am thinking you are correct in assuming that your guide wasn't down, as the plastic piece has 0 clearance between the blade and itself, so nearly impossible for chip out. I was cutting up a bunch of red oak the other day and it nearly looked like it came off my slider, I couldn't believe it.

Donnie:

The router uses the same rail as the saw so to answer your question, yes the rail on the table will also work with the router for datos and rabbets! The system is very well thought out!

-Chris

Donnie Raines
02-06-2004, 3:48 PM
I too have the atf55 and the 1080, and my limited use has had fabulous results! I have used it to cut about 5 doors the other day to size, and am tickled with it! The cuts are 100% splinter free so Todd, I am thinking you are correct in assuming that your guide wasn't down, as the plastic piece has 0 clearance between the blade and itself, so nearly impossible for chip out. I was cutting up a bunch of red oak the other day and it nearly looked like it came off my slider, I couldn't believe it.

Donnie:

The router uses the same rail as the saw so to answer your question, yes the rail on the table will also work with the router for datos and rabbets! The system is very well thought out!

-Chris

Thanks Chris. Is the rails universal or do you need to order router specific rails? Thanks in advance.

DonnieR

Chris Pasko
02-06-2004, 4:03 PM
Thanks Chris. Is the rails universal or do you need to order router specific rails? Thanks in advance.

DonnieR

NP, the rail is universal, the router comes with a jig that bolts to the base and rides on the rail of the rail (if that makes sense =)). If I can I will take some photos today so you can see what I am referring to.

-Chris

Chris Padilla
02-06-2004, 4:04 PM
Rail is universal.

Jim Becker
02-06-2004, 8:35 PM
Todd, is this the unit that is used only for a circular saw? Or would this happen to be the unit that will permit you to attach a router for cutting straight dado's and gooves and the like?

When Bob visited the shop here with "all the toys", we used both the saw and the router with the table and guide. I have a free-standing guide and use it with my Festool jigsaw...no problem.