PDA

View Full Version : Jet 1236 comments and questions

Jerry Allen
10-15-2007, 11:03 AM
I just got a used Jet 1236 I found on craigslist.
It is in moderately good condition, a blue one from about 1997. It had some strange things like a shim from a Folgers coffee can under one side of the tailstock and a 22" belt when it should have had a 23". The manual is pretty bad, but I managed to get some more info on the net.

I have two Jet mini lathes and was not expecting the difference in noise level, but given the Reeves drive, I figure it's okay. I was able to get the headstock aligned to the tailstock by adjusting the headstock, but have some concern that in doing so, the turning axis may still not be truly in plane--seems okay though. After turning a few items, I am pleased with the performance. The extra power is nice and I like the speed change mechanism much more than the Jet Mini VS since I don't lose power.

Unlike the Jet Mini, all the set screws and hold down nuts were sloppy. One set screw on the bottom of the tailstock was actually gouging the bed. I peened the threads on all the loose stuff and cleaned up the bed and all the lockdowns are working nice now.

I used 6 12x12x2 cement stepping stones on the lower base frame and it is nice and solid to turn on. The weights are quick easy to remove and replace for moving.

I got to see first hand what difference a longer bed would an bigger motor would make without spending a lot, so will be much more inclined to get a new bigger machine in the future.

Questions I couldn't figure out:
1) What is the threaded left end of the headstock spindle for? I really miss having a hand wheel at the headstock. Has anyone added one there?
2) There is some rust on the base. Is there a place to get some paint that matches correctly, or should I just do the whole base with something close?

Dick Strauss
10-15-2007, 11:37 AM
Jerry,
The left side of the headstock is for outboard turning off that end of the lathe. It might be used for a large platters, etc. If you use a chuck, you'll probably need to get a different threaded adapter for the chuck.

I can't help with the paint but I'd be tempted to do the whole thing in "Jet white" instead of the blue.

I fully agree with your comments about the difference in power with the 12"/14" midisize lathes vs the minis. That is why I never followed conventional wisdom and bought a mini.

Good luck,
Dick

Paul Engle
10-15-2007, 1:12 PM
On mine that left thrd end is for the hand wheel. and yea a 22" belt will fit but it changes the speeds from the factory spec's as it sits lower in the pullies( closer to the axis's, speeds it up , higher low speed) . I tried looking for lower low speed with longer length belt but is too sloppy, the 22'' hard to get on and off.
I'd go with the blue as my early Jet stuff is blue. Good luck finding that factory color paint.

Bob Hampton
10-15-2007, 6:36 PM
I think that u will find the spindel shaft on the left side of the head is actually for a hand wheel ..its left hand thread but i dont recall what size..jet CS may be able to help there.
As far as the noise level ..yes its noisier than a jet mini (i have one also)but if u use some light oil lube on the pullies and shafts it will quiet down alot....i lube mine about 3 times a week.
You will also find that after u swivel the head u will have to align the head to the tail stock again...simply move the 2 together and and adjust the head and lock it down ...time and use have worn the notches where the pin locks the swivel in the head ...thats all thats wrong there ..mine is the same way ...just takes a min to do ...
They are a nice machine ....enjoy it
Bob

Jerry Allen
10-16-2007, 11:12 AM
Thanks for the replies. I'll look around for a handwheel.

I had no trouble removing the 22" belt or installing the the 23".
Just put her in low and rolled it over the edge of the front pulley.
I may try a 3L link belt. Some say it won't work, and others say it's a must do.

I'll did lube the shafts, Bob, but maybe it needs more...

I like the white paint on the newer Jets, but don't want to mess with overpainting or stripping the entire machine. Think I'll just try for something close and just do the stand. Or maybe I'll make a wood cabinet to put it on.

Someday I may go for a newer model. Now that I got my feet wet I can see where the bigger lathe is worth it. Not so cramped, better power and I love that speed changer!

Paul Engle
10-16-2007, 12:51 PM
I tried my link belt on it and was not happy with the way it rode the two pulleys , needs to be 3/8'' wide to get proper speed ranges, but you can try . I looked for urethane belting with cord ( it is round not flat, stretches too much even with the cord molded inside, it's the splice that fails) and a cut belt but to work but no so much in 3/8'' . I finally went to 3/4 hp DC with electronic speed control and I convert it to single pulley drive when doing larger out of balance blanks. takes about 5 minutes to do the conversion ,once I made the new mount , course the reeves drive will be stuck in one position but the vs allows me to get down to < 50 rpm , not a lot of torque at that speed but I can rough easy and then speed up. Mine is somewhat noisey at the low speed but I do not stay there cept to rough in the blank , then speed it up.

Jerry Allen
10-17-2007, 11:22 AM
Paul, are you saying you tried a 3L, 3/8, link belt?
I have link belts on my jointer and bandsaw and they really have made a postive difference. Of course the Reeves may be a different story but I've read very positive comments regarding the Jet 1236 and link belt elsewhere. If it doesn't smooth it out, it's hardly worth the price.

I noticed that if I pull down on the shift handle past the first position I can lower the speed some. Need to find my rpm meter...