PDA

View Full Version : Bookcase - progress pics

Todd Burch
02-06-2004, 8:31 AM
I'm working on a big study job in Houston - all (mostly) in cherry. Some walnut too.

Two bookcases are pretty wide - 55½" (over a width of a sheet of 1/4" plywood) and the third bookcase is 73½" wide. I needed a way to cover the back of the cases, without the hassle of having to edge-glue long pieces of very thin veneer ¼" plywood.

I decided to use a walnut border around the cherry ply. I had some left over ¾" walnut plywood. I essentially made flush-faced picture frames with the walnut and cherry plys.

After all the back panels were made, I glued and nailed them on the back of the casework. Now, all the rear panels between the shelves are much nicer than a typical case back. And, the walnut/cherry mix will match the floor - a cherry floor with a walnut border.

The first picture is of a typical panel. I still had to edge glue plywood for the top panel, but it was a much easier task since the length was not that long.

The second picture is one of the narrower bookcases (and yours truly) put together onsite before it was lifted and set on the cabinetry. This particular case is 76½" tall and 55½" wide, and 11¼" deep (face frames are not installed yet)

Thanks for looking. Todd

Steve King
02-06-2004, 8:46 AM
Todd,
The back panels make the project!
Looks great!
Steve

Mike Scoggins
02-06-2004, 8:46 AM
Good idea on the panel, Todd. I'll have to remember that. The contrasting woods will definitely add more interest too.

I enjoy seeing your posts; you do great work.

Mike

Bob Lasley
02-06-2004, 8:55 AM
Todd,

You are a creative little devil, ain't you? I like it, alot, and I'll bet your client does too.

Bob

Tyler Howell
02-06-2004, 9:00 AM
You get the big OOOOOOH AAAAAH too. ;) Todd when I grow up I want to be like You and Terry!

Dennis Peacock
02-06-2004, 10:38 AM
You get the big OOOOOOH AAAAAH too. ;) Todd when I grow up I want to be lie You and Terry!

OK Tyler......my fealings are hurt now..!!!! ;)

Todd.....really nice touch there and a nice design. I'll have to remember that on LOML bookcases I have to do some time this year.

Keith Starosta
02-06-2004, 10:41 AM
I have to admit, when you were explaining this concept on the phone several weeks ago, it sounded pretty cool, but I couldn't fully appreciate the way it would come out. Until now! Very nice.

I'm really looking forward to the finished product.

Keith

Dave Avery
02-06-2004, 10:53 AM
Todd,

Way cool... thanks for the post. You're not going to believe this, but I'm currently doing to the same thing for the back of a bookcase I'm making.... mahogany veneered panels in mahogany frames. Thanks for confirming that the idea will actually work.

Also, great looking work. Dave.

Tyler Howell
02-06-2004, 10:58 AM
[QUOTE=Dennis Peacock]OK Tyler......my fealings are hurt now..!!!!

Dennis,
Don't be hurt! :( It's.... well it's........It's that you work too many weekends and your septic tank is on the blink. :o There I’ve said it. :( What kind of life is that for me to aspire to?? You’ve got good toys and do great work, :) but I’ve already worked shift work /call and I just can’t go back there:rolleyes:….. A bad septic tank is just too scary to think about.:eek:

I’m sorry, It’s me not you. :(

Waymon Campbell
02-06-2004, 11:23 AM
Todd - Nice job. How are they going to be finished?

Waymon...

Jason Tuinstra
02-06-2004, 11:41 AM
Todd, great looking case. I love the walnut/cherry combination. It's a real nice touch. I can't wait to see some finished pic's. I'm sure the finish will give that contrast even more punch. Way to go.

Dennis Peacock
02-06-2004, 11:47 AM
[QUOTE=Dennis Peacock]OK Tyler......my fealings are hurt now..!!!!

Dennis,
Don't be hurt! :( It's.... well it's........It's that you work too many weekends and your septic tank is on the blink. :o There I’ve said it. :( What kind of life is that for me to aspire to?? You’ve got good toys and do great work, :) but I’ve already worked shift work /call and I just can’t go back there:rolleyes:….. A bad septic tank is just too scary to think about.:eek:

I’m sorry, It’s me not you. :(

Tyler.....

I wish we were neighbors.....we would have one heck of a time..!!!! :D

Tom Sweeney
02-06-2004, 11:52 AM
You're not gonna paint this one white ;)

Todd that is going to look really cool once the finish is applied - can't wait to see the finished product.

Maybe I should move down there & live with my brother - then I can apprentice for you & learn how to actually make beautiful things like you do :D

Tyler Howell
02-06-2004, 12:36 PM
Tyler.....

I wish we were neighbors.....we would have one heck of a time..!!!! :D

Dennis please! Septic tank first.;)

Daniel Rabinovitz
02-06-2004, 2:37 PM
Todd
Your welcome for allowing me to look.
And as the other fellows said a big OOOOH-AHHHHH!
And not only that but Well Done!
Those panels are really beautiful.
Daniel :cool:

Chris Padilla
02-06-2004, 5:15 PM
Todd,

This is a much better pic for your avatar! You don't look so pasty! :) It is perfectly sized and ready to go!

You're Welcome! :p