PDA

View Full Version : Creekers Weekend Accomplishments....

Dennis Peacock
10-15-2007, 10:15 AM
Good Morning to ya
15 Oct 2007

I hope this posting finds each of you in good weather and dry shops.
It's raining here today and I sure could have used a nice dry day to get more finish sprayed on this kitchen table. Here's the top with a partial finish on it:

What I learned in making this piece is not only about making your own curved work but that doing a "brick-stack" method for making curved work is less wasteful and the curved piece is more "stable" (meaning no spring-back). I made my own veneer for the arches of the table so that I would have a very good match of wood grain and color. Here is what the table base looks like:

I'll share some very important tips with you that I learned on this project (no, it's not done yet, but it's ever so close to being done):
1. Always make a Full Sized Pattern of your curved work.
2. Always include straight and 90º lines on your drawing for best reference when cutting joinery for the curved pieces.
3. NEVER throw away your Full Sized Pattern...well, at least not until the project is completely assembled and ready for finish.

Saturday was work at the day job and practice my music for Sunday at church. Then it's time with the family and just generally being lazy Sunday afternoon and evening.
Today? It's out to the shop (after I get done with a conference call for the day job) and start staining 6 chairs made from Malaysian Parawood that my customer purchased at an unfinished furniture store. I have no idea how this will will "color" nor take finish, but I guess we'll see.

So what did YOU do this weekend??

Best of weeks to you all.

Al Willits
10-15-2007, 11:14 AM
Saturday started the car/boat port in the back yard and Tyler called, so I took a short break and had breakfast with him, heard some more about the retirement home up north, lucky guy, very lucky...also chatted for a bit about woodworking, guns and a lot more, nice visit.

Got back home and shortly there after the wife came home from work, so together we got the frame assembled.

Sunday I had to work, and after worked we were going to finish the car/boat port, but it was raining, so I finished the main part of the railing for the front steps and we just kinda took it easy for the most part.

Nice table btw.

Al

John Bailey
10-15-2007, 11:31 AM
Last week I mentioned I was working on a cider press. Well, I finished it this weekend and used it Sunday. This is the press, and after pressing the cider, we combined it with tomatoes, garlic, onions, jalepino peppers, green peppers, cilantro, alugara(sp), and carrots for a great pasta and salsa meal from the garden.

73594 73595

John

David Duke
10-15-2007, 11:32 AM
Saturday morning I got the bay window seat/storage unit installed, took longer to load everything up then unload than the actual installation but the customer was happy and thats what matters most anyway (aside from the check!!).

Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning was spent cleaning the shop.......you know there is actually concrete down there!! Saturday night we attended the LOML's 30yr high school class reunion. Sunday we had lunch with my mom then went Christmas shopping :eek:!! On our way back home we stopped and visited our grandson (oh yea we also saw our son and DIL :D:D), so overall it was a great weekend, hope yours was too!!!!!!!

Tom Henry
10-15-2007, 11:35 AM
I made a push stick that has a backsaw handle.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=67149

Kyle Stiefel
10-15-2007, 11:38 AM
Last week I mentioned I was working on a cider press. Well, I finished it this weekend and used it Sunday. This is the press, and after pressing the cider, we combined it with tomatoes, garlic, onions, jalepino peppers, green peppers, cilantro, alugara(sp), and carrots for a great pasta and salsa meal from the garden.

73594 73595

John

John,

That looks delicious and it is breakfast time here.

Dick Rowe
10-15-2007, 11:44 AM
Nice looking table Dennis! I haven't been brave enough to try any bent wood stuff yet.

Like a lot of folks here I have built pieces from the Wood magazine mission bedroom plans from a few years back. Over the past 10 months I have built the bed, two night stands and two chests.

My wife really wanted a dresser as well as the chests, and since there wasn't a Wood plan for a 'low-boy' dresser I decided to adapt my own plans from some of the other pieces.

Attached are some photos of the new dresser which I installed this weekend. Some of the folks that have built this stuff will notice that I don't have any corbels on the pieces. My wife didn't like the look with the corbels, so I omitted them.

This QSWO stuff is incredibly heavy, and since I learned from building the chests, this dresser was going to be impossible for one person to move alone so I actually built the dresser in seven pieces which I could carry upstairs to the bedroom by myself and assemble on-site.

Sorry about the picture quality but attached is a picture of the new dresser, and the dresser next to one of the chests I made earlier this year.

The next, and final piece I need to build, is a wall mounted mirror to compliment the new dresser, but I need SWMBO to come up with the final dimensions.

Matt Meiser
10-15-2007, 11:54 AM
We went camping again for most of the weekend, but were only 4 miles from home so I had some time on Sunday to get some straightening done in the shop. Since we were so close to home I hauled about a 1/2 bed load of scrap over to the campground and we used that for our campfire, which we had going pretty much continuously for the weekend due to the cold temps. Oak, maple, cherry, and poplar scrap make for nice warm camp fires.

Nancy Laird
10-15-2007, 12:50 PM
Dick, the dresser and chest are very nice. I really like them.

LOML and I had a relatively busy weekend--Lots of laser orders to be completed on Friday and Sunday - had out-of-town company Friday night and Saturday until about noon--then goofed off the rest of the day. Did go to the 100th anniversary of our favorite Wright's Indian Art on Sunday - lots of Native American artisans there, and we found a new wedding band for hubby to replace the one that was stolen in Las Vegas!:mad:

And today it's back to the day jobs for us--then on Friday, Phoenix-area here we come - see this thread:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=66076

Nancy (67 days)

JayStPeter
10-15-2007, 12:55 PM
Went to the Richmond Woodworks show on Saturday. The show was small. I wanted to check out some of the newer equipment, but there was little to be found. No Steel City, no Work Sharp, no Domino, heck no Delta/PC/DW.
But, the show wound up being awesome anyway. I got to see Frank Klaus demo some dovetail cutting and other interesting stuff, Glenn Huey building a side table, and Mike Jurnigan making some chairs old school. Smaller crowds than the DC area shows I've attended meant I actually got to talk to those guys a little. Those were the first dovetails I've ever seen done (other than a few of my own mediocre attempts). I also met some WCers. I only walked away with a Kreg bench clamp and a couple pieces of curly maple.
Sunday I cleaned my shop so I could use it to cut some wood to build out my front door frame for a storm door. It's primered and ready for me to paint the entryway next weekend.

Jay

Tyler Howell
10-15-2007, 1:32 PM
Got some Work done!!!
Splashed a little paint.
Did some planning for the new master suite up north.
Met with Al for a little chow. Good conversation. Beautiful day
A productive weekend in all.
Play Safe.;)

Art Mulder
10-15-2007, 2:37 PM
Two of these, to add to the one I made last week.

1- Maple and Purpleheart

2- Oak and Redheart

3- Maple, Walnut, and Yellowheart

These'll be for a fundraising silent auction in the new year.

Kevin Cole
10-15-2007, 3:27 PM
Saturday I helped finishing stairs. Anyone ever see bamboo flooring, cool stuff.
On Sunday I built a 11' long lumber storage area above my workbench. Lifting a 6"x6"x7' green chunk of basswood above your head is no picnic. Hopefully when it comes down it will weigh less.

John Shuk
10-15-2007, 4:36 PM
I did a Cub Scout trip overnight Sat night with my 6 year old. It was very nice and I've been eagerly awaiting this phase of his childhood. I look forward to my 3 boy being given the chance to try Scouting.
We've done lots of camping and hiking but I think there is more to it when the kids get to share these things with their peers a bit more.

Jim Becker
10-15-2007, 8:42 PM
This was mostly an "outside" job weekend. Saturday, I broke up and disposed of an old brick walkway (dumping the remains as backfill where our new front porch will be), stripped the old shutters off the stone portion of our house (there will no longer be shutters since the newer areas and the addition (http://toscax.us/blog/addition.htm) do not have them), completely rewired our CATV cable to the inside of the house (a bit of crawl space and fishing work), dug a 50' trench with the big orange power tool for getting the downspout drains from the addition and new patio to grade, trimmed a very large an ancient rhododendron to get rid of some die-off and get it off the house and partially repaired the backfilling of the gas line trench from the old house to the new addition. I also put in the speaker wiring for home theater in the addition and re-designed the Cat 5e wiring plan to alleviate a lot of extra work and material for the electrician who will be pulling the wire. (I'll terminate that stuff) Oh, and I got in the shop for an hour to finish up the bookshelf portion of the cabinetry that's going in the "toilet room" of the new master bath. Busy weekend...