PDA

View Full Version : Measuring

Sean Troy
10-15-2007, 8:00 AM
Hi all, being that I do mostly turning but am slowly doing more flat work, I was wondering what everyone uses to measure with. I've always used a tape measure but know there must be a more accurate way especially when your measuring 1/16ths and smaller. Thanks, Sean

David Duke
10-15-2007, 8:19 AM
Depends really on what you're measuring, for smaller measurements such as board thickness, width of groove/dado and the like I use dial calipers, but for the bulk of my measurement I use a tape. I try and use the same tape all the time because of the possibility of variations between different ones but I must admit that because I have a tendency to "plant" tapes (dang things won't come up) that I keep 2-3 laying around so that I can find one when needed. I also use a scale blade or adjustable square as the situation requires.

frank shic
10-15-2007, 9:58 AM
sean, i use a digifence which is an aftermarket digital measuring system that can be installed on almost any biesemeyer style fence. the accuracy and repeatability on this thing is much better than trying to struggle with the parallax phenomenon when reading the measuring tape stuck to the fence rail. i also use a fastcap true32 measuring tape for most of my metric measurements - no need to "burn an inch."

Lee Schierer
10-15-2007, 12:24 PM
For dimensions longer than 12" I use a tape measure. I bought several identical ones so the measurements are cosistent even if I don't grab the same one all the time. For shorter measurements I use a 12" or 6" metal scale that has graduations down to 1/64. For thicknesses whil planing, I use a cheap pair of digital calipers I picked up from Harbor Freight. The dial pair I had succumend to sawdust in about a year, so far the digital ones have survived 2 years and counting.

glenn bradley
10-15-2007, 12:30 PM
Tape measure (always the same one) for general sizing. Oddly I always reach for a Pro-tape center-finding tape that I picked up along the way. Whatever tape you have that is accurate will do.

For detail and finer work I have a set of 6", 12", 18" and 24" rules. The thing I've done to help myself out is to check my measuring devices against each other. If they all agree, you'll be surprised less often.

I also have a 6" Incra rule with .05mm holes in it for times when that sort of thing is required (not often but a joy to use). A saddle square comes in handy more often than I ever thought it would. Check against your machines as well. My current TS tape is fine but the previous one had to be replaced.

Gary Keedwell
10-15-2007, 12:34 PM
My six inch scale gets most of the duty. My six inch dial verniers see alot,too. Keep them in wooden case when not in use. Good habit.:)
Gary

Rick Gooden
10-15-2007, 1:17 PM
I only use tapes for rough measurements. 6", 12", 24", and 40" metal rulers with stamped graduations. For thickness I use a fractional (analog) caliper set.

Mick Zelaska
10-16-2007, 8:09 AM
When working at the bench - I have a scale fixed to my work bench. Butt the end of the workpiece to the stop at the end and measure.

Working elsewhere - I use a flat tape (as opposed to the standard curved) tape measure

Rod Sheridan
10-16-2007, 9:27 AM
I use steel rulers with a hook end for items up to 24" in length, after that I'm stuck with a tape measure.

Always use the same tape throughout a project or you'll discover that they're different from each other, not much, just enough to convert a built in, into a hammer in......Rod.