PDA

View Full Version : Performax Dust Collector and Air Filter?!?

Todd Hoppe
10-15-2007, 7:51 AM
Does anyone have experience with either this Performax air cleaner or dust collector? http://menards.inserts2online.com/pageLarge.jsp?pageNumber=10&startPageNum=7#

also here if the above link doesn't work?

http://menards.inserts2online.com/MenardsMenardDaysSale/pdf/20071014-20071028-10.pdf

Thanks,
Todd

Brad Townsend
10-15-2007, 8:08 AM
You probably won't get much firsthand information on either of these, as they are just introduced. The bad news here is that the PerformaX name doesn't carry the same prestige as it did when found on the high quality line of drum sanders. It is now use to brand a line of very inexpensive tools of questionable origin. Having said that, either of these items COULD be a very good bargain, as neither requires the degree of precision needed for good power tools.

Tyler Howell
10-15-2007, 9:11 AM
No experience on these .
Not impressed with the Performax brand carried by the green borg.

Matt Meiser
10-15-2007, 9:13 AM
The Performax name is apparently not owned by WMH tool group anymore. There was a web site for the new Performax stuff no longer works either, so going to Menards and looking at the specs on the boxes is probably the only way to get any data on them.

On the dust collector, the size of the impeller and the filtration capability of the bag are probably the most important facts. The size of the impeller will give you an idea on the real CFM rating--the one printed on the box will be inflated. You can compare the impeller size to independent reviews on some other DC's of that size.

If I was looking for a bargain dust collector, the Harbor Freight 2HP with the DIY conversion to a cartridge filter instead of the upper bag is probably a better deal. There's quite a bit of informaiton out on the web about this conversion.

On the air filter, the most important things are probably CFM and how good the filters are. Take a look at the filters first. My Delta and many others use a pleated pre-filter that looks like a furnace filter. The inner filter is a bag filter that has a frame with cloth bags that the air moves through. Get the dimensions off those filters and see if you can find suitable replacements from someone like Grainger. Even with my Delta, I buy replacement filters at Grainger because they are cheaper than Delta's. A good HVAC shop might have them too. The original filters in my Delta has Purolator labels on them so it was easy to find the right replacements. If the filtration and air movement are good, that's about all there is to an air filter unless you want extras like a remote, timer, etc. Mine has none of those, but I added a mechanical timer--installed in a box at floor level so I can reach it.

Todd Hoppe
10-15-2007, 5:14 PM
Thanks to all who responded. I'm, frankly, less concerned about price for a dust collector, but I don't wnat to spend a fortune on an air cleaner. I've been trying, with no luck, to find a good deal on a squirrel cage blower to build one myself.

Brad Townsend
10-15-2007, 6:22 PM
Thanks to all who responded. I'm, frankly, less concerned about price for a dust collector, but I don't wnat to spend a fortune on an air cleaner. I've been trying, with no luck, to find a good deal on a squirrel cage blower to build one myself.
Have you checked with local heating & cooling contractors to see if they could get you one out of an old furnace? When a furnace goes out, it's rare that the blower has failed. I got my furnace replaced two years ago, kept the blower out of it and let the contractor haul the rest away. Still haven't used it, but will get to it someday.:D

Brent Grooms
10-15-2007, 7:24 PM
Todd... I have a blower and motor that even work! Yours... just come pick it up/ meet up somewhere

Denny Rice
10-15-2007, 9:42 PM
I also seen a Performax series at Menards and Compared to my JET air filtration system that thing is a toy. I don't remember but I want to say that thing was about 12" long and 8" high. The Jet I purchased is a 3 speed remote controlled system and it was only about sixty dollars more w/ five year warranty.

Tyler Howell
10-16-2007, 3:41 PM
Todd... I have a blower and motor that even work! Yours... just come pick it up/ meet up somewhere
I sure like the way creekers do business.;)
Proud to be a member:cool:

Lenny Kouma
10-23-2008, 8:31 PM
The wife bought me a Performax air filtration unit for Xmas. 3 speed 300,350,400 cfm. It is solid, quiet and works well. The only problem is I can not find filters for it. Menard's sold her a Jet filter when she bought it as an extra but the Jet is a different size. The performax is 16 3\4 x 9 5\8 x1 7\8.
The manual says it is a canadian company and the website does not list parts.

Aaron Ledbetter
09-10-2011, 12:11 PM
I know this is an ancient thread, but I thought I would open it back up to see if anyone had anything more to add now (since it's been 2 years :))...?

I saw this unit at my local Menards, and I definitely like the price; but if there are no filters for it, then there really isn't much of a point of owning it - now is there?

I find it hard to believe that there are no filters made for this unit, but it wouldn't be the first time I've seen stupidity like this!!

SO - has anyone else made this purchase? Could you find any filters?

Callan Campbell
09-12-2011, 1:45 PM
Hey Aaron, I don't know. Although Matt's post is now 4 years old, it was nice to learn that WMH sold off the Performax brand, as that was news to me. :rolleyes: I agree with you though, if filter are a hassle, why both with odd ball sized units, even at a low buying price.