PDA

View Full Version : First Post

Andy Blackwell
10-15-2007, 7:22 AM
Hi All:

I am retired USN, corporate maverick and CPA. My passion now is making sawdust and shavings. I live on a little spread in Sumerduck, VA. When not performing "honey do's" I spend my time in the shop which is a combination woodworking and metal working.

The pictures are the result of some of my weekend adventures. I think the crotch piece would make Lyle Jamieson eat his heart out. Wood is cherry.

Forgive the photos, not one of my better talents.

Andy

Bob Hallowell
10-15-2007, 7:56 AM
Andy,
Nice to meet you, lets see what you make out of all those balnks!

Bob

Sean Troy
10-15-2007, 8:03 AM
Welcome. There is a great group of people here with lots of knowledge. Nice little saw there.

Glenn Hodges
10-15-2007, 9:09 AM
Welcome Andy, thanks for the pictures.

Paul Engle
10-15-2007, 10:10 AM
Hi ya Andy, I notice the BBQ in the back ground ...hmmmmm oh i digresss...Welcome to the Creek , USN huh, well we won't hold that against ya...:eek: :D , just kidding. Nice chunk of cherry ya got there, and that wood mizer , oh baby blank time !!!! I lived in Manassaasaasas and Warrenton back in the 70's stationed at Vint Hill Farms, sure do miss NOVA sometimes....

Dick Strauss
10-15-2007, 11:43 AM
Andy,
Welcome to SMC! I think you have all of salivating over that nice little portable BS mill you've got there.

FYI-If I were you, I'd leave the blanks thicker than those shown in the pile under your chainsaw (assuming they are for turning??).

Dennis Peacock
10-15-2007, 1:11 PM
Howdy Andy and WELCOME to SMC!!!!

How do you like your Woodmizer??!!! Inquiring minds want to know. :)

Andy Blackwell
10-15-2007, 6:10 PM
Thanks for the welcome. I'll try to respond to your questions.

Paul - The BBQ is actually a garden cart with a small house setting in it for my outside cat. He guards the wood-mizer.:) BBQ is down on the patio.

Dick - The blanks are 3 and 4"s thick. They will be cut in to turning squares for mini-hollow forms once they are dry. I have a small kiln that will speed up the drying.

Dick & Dennis - The BS is a LT-15, cuts a 27"s dia. log up to 11 ft. long. I have lots of fun with it and in the five years that I have had it have had no problems. Am currently exploring installing an electric chain drive to move the head fwd/back. That will save a little wear on my old bones.

Again. Thanks for the welcome.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-15-2007, 7:07 PM
Welcome to the Creek Andy!

Bernie Weishapl
10-15-2007, 10:29 PM
Welcome Andy. Great looking setup. I am not sure I would Kiln dry the ones for HF's or bowls. Lots easier turning green.

jim tracy
10-16-2007, 7:00 AM
Andy,

Welcome, I live in Warrenton (right down the road) and I am new to woodturning but have already become quickly addicted. You should look into the Capital Area Woodturners (local chapter of the AAW) a great bunch of fellow turners. I joined the group last month.

Andy Blackwell
10-16-2007, 7:25 AM
Bernie - I just dry them down to about 18%. Seems to cut down on the distortion. The ambient humidity around VA is about 12%. At 18% they turn well and the pile of shavings is not so big.:)

Jim - I have been a member of CAW since 1999. It is a great club and has a tremendous lineup of demonstrators each year. I am one of the mentors at the club so if you would like to come down sometime and practice a little I will be most willing to assist you. Also you can attend the skills enhancement meeting twice a month at the Bryant School. The newsletter has the schedule.

jim tracy
10-16-2007, 12:44 PM
Andy,

Thanks for the offer!!! Tom Boley has been my un-official mentor but I can use all the help I can get......... Been to the last two meetings and I love the club.

Brett Baldwin
10-16-2007, 2:57 PM
Welcome Andy. Looking forward to some of your finished products.

joe greiner
10-19-2007, 8:43 AM
Ditto the CAW club. I visited last Saturday. Very congenial bunch and a great facility at Bryant. I'll likely schedule future expeditions to match the club's programs.

Joe

Steve Schlumpf
10-19-2007, 1:02 PM
Welcome to the Creek Andy! Looking forward to seeing some of your work!

Alan Arnup
10-19-2007, 11:46 PM
Ditto the CAW club. I visited last Saturday. Very congenial bunch and a great facility at Bryant. I'll likely schedule future expeditions to match the club's programs.

Joe

Hi Joe,

Just saw your name after having discovered Saw Mill Creek
and registered myself yesterday. This is a remarkably
similar site to Woodwork Forums where you may remember
me as "Allan at Wallan" in Victoria Australia.

Regards,

Alan

I am not at all worried about dying
... but just hope I am not there at the time.

joe greiner
10-22-2007, 9:53 AM
Hi Joe,

Just saw your name after having discovered Saw Mill Creek
and registered myself yesterday. This is a remarkably
similar site to Woodwork Forums where you may remember
me as "Allan at Wallan" in Victoria Australia.

Regards,

Alan

I am not at all worried about dying
... but just hope I am not there at the time.

Hi, Alan. Welcome to SMC. Lots of talent here.

Yep, I recognize you from WWF. Several others here with "dual citizenship." Allen Neighbors (OGYT); Bob Childress (Honorary Bloke); Cliff Rogers (=); Claude Arragon (la truciolara); probably quite a few others.

Spelling is a little different here, but most of us can figure out any necessary translations.

Joe