PDA

View Full Version : Magnetic Switch

aaron hero
10-15-2007, 1:35 AM
I just bought a Unisaw, it has a 4Hp 1ph 220 motor. The saw came with a magnetic switch but I would like to replace it because I want to be sure the overload protection works properly and I dont care for the buttons and overall design. I want to get a new mag switch with larger buttons.
I dont know what the heck is wrong with me or what I am doing wrong, but I cannot find any switches except on Grizzlys site (I dont care for their offerings)
Where can I find a good quality mag switch w/ large, easy to use buttons?
Thanks!! Aaron

Matt Meiser
10-15-2007, 7:53 AM
The ones like Grizzly sells are the same as the other sources I know of, unless you go with something from one of the major electrical product companies like Cutler-Hammer or Allen Bradley. Even then, I'm not sure exactly what they have available in a "plug and play" configuration. A local electrical distributor can probably help you there, but you will pay big $$$ for it.

The other option, if you know how to wire everything up, or if you know someone who does, would be to buy all the components and wire it up yourself. I've taken this route because I can put nice big industrial pushbuttons on. I haven't done the overloads because the tools I've put mag switches on haven't had them to start with.

I've found FactoryMation (http://www.factorymation.com) or Automation Direct (http://www.automationdirect.com) to be a good source for industrial electrical components.

Rod Sheridan
10-15-2007, 11:20 AM
Hi, go to your local electrical supplier with the motor full load current in amperes.

They will be able to supply you with a magnetic starter with the correct overload relay............Rod.

aaron hero
10-15-2007, 11:39 AM
Unfortunately I have no local supplier so I have to order one or drive 150 miles. The one Grizzly sells is what I have now and the buttons are very small and are flush with the surface, I have to look at the switch in order to find the button to turn it off.
I have typed in every combination of words I can think of and still cant find a switch, My head aches! A.H.

Cary Swoveland
10-15-2007, 12:11 PM
Even if it's just a stop-gap solution, you could make a cover for your switch that would allow you to depress a paddle that would mechanically depress a switch button.

Cary

Rick Levine
10-15-2007, 12:15 PM
Check this one out. I bought one for my Woodtek 3hp DC and it works great. It just needed slight wiring modification to replace the supplied switch. Now all my blast gates start and stop the unit.

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/lrmsethd.html

Dick Brown
10-15-2007, 12:23 PM
You can wire the control circuit in your mag switch in line with another push button switch and put it anywhere you want or use any size push button panel you want. Keep in mind that just the push buttons will be quite expensive in themselves. I have done this on my saw and put the switch above the saw on my over the saw dust collector support. Love being able to reach the switch with a full sheat of plywood on the saw. This in no way changes the operation of your present switch. Very nice to have two diffrent areas where you can reach to start/stop your saw. If your circut breakers are sized right for your saw, they should trip if you have a major problem even though they are there to protect the circuit rather than the saw. I agree that it would be great to know just what amp draw it would take to trip the overloads but doubt that the setting scale on most is correct to a gnat's eyebrow. I can tell you how to wire a remote pushbotton into the curcuit if you PM me.
Dick