PDA

View Full Version : Should I put windows in a garage/shop?

Brian Elfert
10-14-2007, 11:12 PM
I'm still in the planning stages of a 40x50 garage/shop along with a new house to be built late this fall or next spring.

What are the recommendations for windows? Some say no windows at all in a garage as they are the weak link for someone to break in.

25% of the space will be shop with the rest for parking a large motorhome and regular cars.

Bart Leetch
10-15-2007, 1:02 AM
I would like windows in my shop but up high where they let light in but can't be looked in to see what there.

Kurt Strandberg
10-15-2007, 5:43 AM
I'm still in the planning stages of a 40x50 garage/shop along with a new house to be built late this fall or next spring.

What are the recommendations for windows? Some say no windows at all in a garage as they are the weak link for someone to break in.

25% of the space will be shop with the rest for parking a large motorhome and regular cars.

I like the light from my 2 windows but mine are not the best window and they let the wind blow through, I don't see your location if that is a concern at all.

Matt Meiser
10-15-2007, 7:43 AM
As many as possible. Mine only has two windows. I wish I had more. What I would do, knowing what I know today, is have a couple large regular height windows on the side facing the house. On the hard-to-see side, I would put windows up high.

Another option is skylights. We recently added one to our bathroom--it was incredible how much brighter it got when we opened it up.

Mike Wilkins
10-15-2007, 9:01 AM
You need some windows so you can see the UPS driver delivering new tools.
Or you can put some awning windows up high to let in some natural light (from the sun, not the drinking kind).

Cliff Rohrabacher
10-15-2007, 9:02 AM
I did windows in mine. I'd not have it any other way.

If you are gong to have a bench against a wall and a window at the bench don't make it a south facing wall. Light from a Southern exposure is harsh and gets in your eyes

Al Willits
10-15-2007, 11:20 AM
If you live in Mpls, I'd put them high enough to keep some of the locals out, leastwise that's what I'd do.

On the other hand, according to our local politicans, we don't have a crime problem, I wonder if the guy who stole the Alpine deck in my truck knows that???

Al

Doug Shepard
10-15-2007, 11:44 AM
I've got 4 but if I could trade them for 2 skylights, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Aside from the visible-to-others issue, you'll lose valuable wall space there too and I dont think you'll get as much light as a skylight.

Al Wasser
10-15-2007, 11:45 AM
If you are worried about theft, take a look at the tube lights. I have one in the bathroom and it does a fantastic job. I think you want as much light as possible in a shop and the natural light provided by windows, open doors, etc just seem so much better than overhead lights. If you do windows, consider putting them higher on the wall so they don't take space for storage or work benches. Windows also provide ventilation in the summer.

Dick Latshaw
10-15-2007, 12:00 PM
Windows also provide ventilation in the summer.

I don't believe they have summer in Mpls. When I lived there, there were two seasons: Winter and August.:)

Greg Peterson
10-15-2007, 12:09 PM
I've two windows in my shop. One is 4'x6' that I installed, facing east. Both windows have blinds that are closed when I'm not in the shop. Before I put the window in, it was like a dungeon in there. Now, I can sit out there and watch the squirrels chase each other around the huge walnut tree in the neighbors field next to my property. Or the occasional Sharp-shinned hawk that stops by for a morsel every now and again.

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/pfw/AboutBirdsandFeeding/Accounts/images/ID_images/shshaw296318Scan03web.jpg

Greg (8,341 days)

Nancy Laird
10-15-2007, 12:29 PM
Skylights will provide the best light without taking wall space that windows would take. We love ours, in the shop as well as in the house.

Nancy (67 days)

Al Willits
10-15-2007, 4:39 PM
I don't believe they have summer in Mpls. When I lived there, there were two seasons: Winter and August.:)

Ya forgot road construction..:)

Al...we have summer here, but ya gotta be awake that 1/2 hour or you'll miss it.

btw we are having a heat wave today, its 50 degree's right now...:D

Brian Elfert
10-15-2007, 7:34 PM
I don't live in the city of Minneapolis and am not worried about theft. I don't believe theft is a real big issue in the outer suburb I want to build in.

The no windows to prevent theft was something I read somewhere and I thought it sounded like a good idea.

Brian Elfert

Jim Becker
10-15-2007, 8:20 PM
Natural light is essential, IMHO, and that's why I have a lot of window space in my own shop despite the hit on wall space. If had been the one designing and building it, many of the windows would be high on the wall to get the best of both worlds. The security aspects can be dealt with if you think things through. On a similar line, I also prefer out-swing doors (with security hinges) so that when it's nice out, you can have them open without taking up any shop space. If a garage type door is required, use a roll-up. More money initially, but again, no space taken overhead to block lights and DC duct.

Rich Engelhardt
10-16-2007, 5:20 AM
Hello,

Some say no windows at all in a garage as they are the weak link for someone to break in.
I had to cut a hole through an exterior wall for a dryer vent two weeks ago.

Trust me - cordless tools obsolete the concept of a window being a weak link.:eek:

The sawzall went through the siding like a hot knife through butter.

Al Willits
10-16-2007, 10:54 AM
Hello,

I had to cut a hole through an exterior wall for a dryer vent two weeks ago.

Trust me - cordless tools obsolete the concept of a window being a weak link.:eek:

The sawzall went through the siding like a hot knife through butter.

Many houses here in Mpls are on alleys and more than being secure, what your trying to avoid is the walk by and looking in from happening.
Personally whether your in the outer suburbs or not, I think this holds true.

If they want to get in they will, Dad was a locksmith and said "locks are to keep honest people honest" so outta sight outta mind.

btw where do you think the inner city kids go to steal high buck items?
Its the suburbs, where people leave their garage doors and homes open.imho :)

Al

Chiz Eisenhuth
10-16-2007, 4:56 PM
I'm hoping that you don't mind some input from a newbie. The window in my shop is pretty standard height and I enjoy looking out. Now, a friend of mine took a different tack on the situation. He replaced the glass in the window of his passage door as well as those in the garage door with Lexan and then hung some cloth over them so that he could take a peek out if need be - they face in different directions. He opted out of venetian blinds on the pass door for some strange personal reason that I didn't understand. He said that he had to be really careful when cleaning the Lexan in order to keep from scratchng it. His point was that they wouldn't break the Lexan. My comment back was that if they hit it hard and long enough they'll succeed in breaking out the frame. There's really nothing at all that is keeping an unwanted 'guest' from wrecking their way into our homes and garages. Pretty unsettling thought!

Jude Kingery
10-16-2007, 5:09 PM
Hey Rich, many varied opinions for you to consider; our shop's in a tiny garage so alas no windows, although I'd LOVE to be able to look out, nice weather days I just open the garage door. Hence music is a nice addition to the shop, can't do turning without good music! As to security, (I spent a number of years working w/crime victims and doing crime awareness programs as well) it is true - if someone wants to break in, they'll find a way, and second - I would not want to live in a fortress or jail - but perhaps the most important point is - a dog is your best security system ever! Not a guard dog, just one who's a member of your family and will bark to alert. Out of well over 2,000 rape cases, I only worked one - just one - in a home that had a dog and we think the stranger/intruder drugged the dog for a number of reasons. Anyway, just some things you might add to your considerations, best wishes! Jude

Robert Goodwin
10-17-2007, 5:59 PM
But in a garage shop with limited space it is taking up valuable wallspace. They are high enough though that I do not really worry about theft.

Vernon Taylor
10-17-2007, 6:43 PM
Given the size of the shop and the storage of a mh I would put in a rear exit door for emergancy egress which would also serve as cross ventilation when desired. I would also install carbon monoxide detecters as well as a fire alarm.Just my 2cents.:)

Brian Elfert
10-19-2007, 2:17 AM
Given the size of the shop and the storage of a mh I would put in a rear exit door for emergancy egress which would also serve as cross ventilation when desired. I would also install carbon monoxide detecters as well as a fire alarm.Just my 2cents.:)

Smoke detectors are a given and I always buy the more expensive alarms that have CO detection included. I'm planning at least three service doors which would include one or two in the rear for emergency egress.

I need to figure out a good way to get alerted if the smoke detector in the garage activates. I don't know that I want to tie the garage detector into the house system as I wouldn't know if problem was house or garage then. The garage will not be attached.

Brian Elfert
10-19-2007, 2:21 AM
btw where do you think the inner city kids go to steal high buck items?
Its the suburbs, where people leave their garage doors and homes open.imho :)

I've unintentionally left my garage door open at least a dozen times in the nearly six years I have lieved in my current house. I'm in a first ring suburb now and nothing has ever been taken. The garage is tucked behind the house in such a way as nobody could see an open garage door without driving down my 200 foot driveway.

The last time I did this was just a few days ago when I apparently hit the button without watching that the door actually close.

Rich Engelhardt
10-19-2007, 7:11 AM
Hi Jude,
I couldn't agree more about the pooch - we have two.
In 1985, I had to drive from Cle. Ohio to Phx Az to see my mom after she'd had a stroke. I took our German Shepherd Sugar aka : "Aunty Social " ;) along to torment,,,err,,,for company on the week-long drive.
On the way back, I checked into a motel in Dallas - at O'dark thirty in the middle of the night.

A rather scruffy looking gentleman in the parking lot took an immediate liking to my car, my luggage and I assume my wallet - as I was going from the car to the room. the look on his face was priceless when he rounded the front of the vehicle and found himself face to face with 130 lbs of "love and afffection - and a lot of teeth" :D.

I remember his words clearly:
"Oh, that sure is a nice car. I wish I had that nice car. (then he rounded the front of the car) Oh,,WEEEE that sure is a BIG DOG!!"

Jeff Kerr
10-19-2007, 9:22 PM
I have windows that are standard height and placement for ventilation. I also have fixed pane windows that are up high on the wall just under the eve of the roofline so to allow more natural light but not let someone look in.

I didn't go with skylights because I have them in the house and it is just a matter of time before a skylight leaks. (No need to debate. I have 4. They have all leaked at one time or another. Have had them re-installed 3 times and even had the manufacturer to my house).

Back to the point. The window is how I got robbed. Jimmied the lock came in and let themselves out with all the tools. By the way this is a detached garage.

So before you think that your house won't be selected. I live on a private road with only a few homes. I am the only resident that runs dusk til dawn lights on my property and I was the one selected by the thieves.

If you really want to do your best to protect your stuff, add a monitored alarm system and cameras so that hopefully you get a picture of the theft and the license plate of the car.

Steve Clardy
10-20-2007, 11:40 AM
I have small windows in my two 10x10 garage doors, and 1 window at rear of shop.