PDA

View Full Version : Corian Product Ideas Wanted

Peter Meacham
10-14-2007, 10:36 PM
Anyone have any plans or photos of products to make from Corian please? I am using a ShopBot. Thanks, Pete

Keith Outten
10-16-2007, 9:23 AM
Peter,

Here is a link to get you started.
http://www.wnywoodturners.com/workshops/fscoriandemo/fscdemo1.htm

You will find plenty of pictures here at The Creek as well, our archives contain lots of signs and other projects.

Here are some other suggestions;

Cutting boards, light switches, electrical outlet cover plates, bathroom accessories, mirror frames, shelving, kitchen accessories, window valance, plaques and signs, keychains, drawer pulls and knobs, towel racks, hand mirror frames, ceiling and wall access panels, moldings...

You can download plans for a Santa's sleigh and reindeer, coffee table, computer workstation and a few others from the ShopBot web site. If you can't find them let me know.

In a couple of days I will check my archives to see what I have you may be interested in, my schedule right now is so hectic I am swamped.

Peter Meacham
10-17-2007, 10:01 AM
Thanks for the input Keith.

I have always wanted to do light switch and receptacle covers to match Corian counter installations but I have not taken the time to draw up the covers. I think that would be a good product line for us and we could contract with counter top installers to supply the covers. Just need to get the products drawn up and tool pathed.

I was also thinking of recessed drink coasters with a painted monogram engraved in the bottom and a thin piece of cork adhered to the underside - say a set of 6 coasters for $9.99. What product would compliment the coasters for a complete suite?

Are clocks a seller these days? - seems to me some interesting Corian clock shapes could be produced.

If you have any patterns that you would share with us we would appreciate it as I know you do a lot of Corian work.

With the holiday seasons coming up there ought to be lots of gift and decoration products to produce.

Thanks, Pete

Ed Carpenter
10-17-2007, 11:07 AM
You can see a guitar my son made here: http://solidsurface.com/gallery/guitar/ The body is made out of Adobe color.

There are lots of other really clever, and amazing, ideas hidden on Corian's massive website at http://www2.dupont.com/Corian/en_GB/design/designindex.html

Good luck & have fun :)
Ed

-----------------------
Ed Carpenter
http://solidsurface.com

Doug Jones from Oregon
10-17-2007, 4:02 PM
What product would compliment the coasters for a complete suite?

A towel to mop up the liquid from the sweating glass. Unfortunately, the corian will not absorb the moisture.

Peter Meacham
10-17-2007, 9:38 PM
Ed, thanks very much for the input - that guitar is awesome, well done to your son. And thanks for the link to the UK Corian site - very interesting. Thanks, Pete

Phil Sanders
10-17-2007, 10:04 PM
Gosh, I wish the link saved was still active, but it seems the web site no longer exist.

Some lady in California was selling 6" x 6" or 10" x 10" wall plaques of Corian for adding color to back splashes on kitchen counters. Think about ceramic tiles, and the bright color accent tile square pieces that are added to back splashes.

She would sand blast out any number of shapes (like flowers, tea pots, rolling pins, and so on) to a depth of about 1/8" or maybe 3/16" and fill the void with bright colored epoxy. Very impressive bright color tiles. Problem of course was manually sandblasting. Charged a lot of money.

So with your setup, route out a sheet full of the squares, and cut them up to individual squares for your customers. Fill the voids with dyed Corain epoxy en mass.

The link I wanted to post showed several completed kitchens, and like ceramic tile accent pieces, made a big difference on the "warmth" of the kitchen.

I hope this leads you to your own new ideas. Like, doing a whole back splash as one piece?

Phil

Ed Carpenter
05-18-2008, 6:55 PM
I just noticed that the link to the guitar was dead (7 months later ;), oooops! ). The link is reposted now. Hopefully Phil will have a chance to see. Peter, thanks for the Kudos. Here is the link again: http://www.solidsurface.com/gallery/guitar/
Ed

Joe Pelonio
05-19-2008, 11:31 PM
Just last night we watched a TV program from the builder's show. One of the newest things is bathroom counter tops that are lit from beneath. They were using the translucent corian. This one was ice white, with colored squares inlaid. Not my taste, but seems like some people must like it.

I'm thinking do an image in reverse on the bottom side, fairly deep, and when lit from below, the image will be much brighter than the background?

Keith Outten
05-20-2008, 6:42 AM
The two new translucent Corian colors are Arctic Ice and Glacier Ice. Arctic Ice has speckles in it, Glacier Ice is just a translucent white. Both are new 2008 colors that aren't available for purchase yet. I have samples that I got at a local distributors demonstration event.

Glacier Ice is the coolest stuff I have seen in awhile, it will be awesome for lithophanes, laser engraving and for dye-sublimation. I have a standing order for a sheet as soon as it starts shipping :)

Steven Wallace
12-21-2008, 1:40 PM
Where is Corian sheeting available in the US. Is it available in big box stores like Home Depot or Lowes? Or do you have to go to a specialty store of some type?

Phil Sanders
12-21-2008, 3:00 PM
Where is Corian sheeting available in the US. Is it available in big box stores like Home Depot or Lowes? Or do you have to go to a specialty store of some type?
Steve:

IIRC, the DuPont registered trademarked Corian product is only sold to installers who have taken the DuPont Accredited Installer's classes. Many reasons why this is so. I seem to recall some folk talking about the generic Nairoc (Corian spelled backwards) from other makers not so strict, but still almost no sale to general consumers like one finds in Home Depot.

Again this is from memory, find a Kitchen counter-top installer, explain what you want to do, and maybe he will take a chance on you, and resell the product to you. I read that DuPont gets real nasty with anyone re-selling Corian without OK from DuPont. Sometimes, however, they will have 1/2 sheets, or so left over from a project and thus they will be happy to let it go for a profit in today's economy. It's easy, if all you want is a few double sink cut-out scrap pieces.

There is a web site that sells Corian, but Corian is heavy for UPS shipment, cost a small bank balance. Usually this web site sells small scrap pieces to turners who make Pens. Send me a Personal Message if you want the web site address.

What ever you decide, I recommend you take the time to research the product safety data sheet for Corian. That ain't sawdust you will be breathing in, trust me.

Larry Bratton
12-21-2008, 7:21 PM
I am using a product that claims to have identical properties to Corian. It is called LG-HI-MACS. It cuts and engraves nicely. Keith send me some Corian and it appears to be very similar. The HI-MACs product is manufactured in Adairsville, GA. but the parent company is Korean.
Here is a reply I received from their rep when I inquired about the properties of the product.
"The physical properties of LG HI-MACS and DuPont Corian are identical. The reason your friend likes Corian so much is that it, like HI-MACS, is 100% Acrylic and flies off the router smoothly, as opposed to products with a Polyester base.

You can see the physical properties by going to our website, www.kvfdist.com (http://www.kvfdist.com/) , click on Technical Docs, click on LG HI-MACS Technical Specification Sheet.

The advantage we have over Corian is that LG HI-MACS is made in the USA, in Adairsville GA. We have a 15 Year Commercial/ 15 Year Residential Transferable Warranty, Corian has a 1 YR Commercial/10 Year Residential. We have the Eden Collection with minimum 12% Recycled Content, they do not. All of our products are NSF and Greengard Certified. Plus, we have more colors available in 1/4".
So, you guys be the judge. Contact them and they will probably send you some samples

Angus Hines
12-22-2008, 9:23 AM
Larry,

What their contact info?

Thanx

Tim Vice
12-22-2008, 1:35 PM
Make pet headstones. Birth plaques. Any routing can be filled with epoxy. I use a product called inlace. Custom cutting boards and sell them to the cabinet installer for a "present" for their customer. If I remember right the inlace is food safe.

Larry Bratton
12-22-2008, 5:56 PM
Larry,

What their contact info?

Thanx
Angus:
That link is to the distributor in Raleigh,NC.

Kevin L. Waldron
12-22-2008, 7:01 PM
If your in the south try www.meyerdeco.com (http://www.meyerdeco.com) they sale Hannex another Corian look alike.

Kevin

AL Ursich
12-24-2008, 7:35 PM
Check out the www.carvewright.com (http://www.carvewright.com) forums for corian Lithograph Pictures.

AL

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=9750