PDA

View Full Version : Kreg or Incra

aaron hero
10-14-2007, 10:32 PM
I am looking into a new miter for my Unisaw and cant decide between a Kreg KMS7102 or a Incra MITER1000/18T Miter.
Have any of you used either one of these? I have read reviews writen by "profesionals" but I dont put much faith in those who get paid to review tools.
Thanks for any real opinions! Aaron

Eric Larsen
10-15-2007, 12:09 AM
Me too, but in addition weighing the Osborne as well.

Has anyone published a "miter gauge roundup?"

Dave Mapes
10-15-2007, 12:21 AM
I have the kreg and have been very happy with it. It is rock solid and very accurate.

However that being said if I was to purchase a miter fence today I believe I would choose the incra 1000se over the kreg. All because of the difference in the incra's extend fence support for 18-30" vs the kreg's fixed 24". I have had times when cutting long miter boards that couldn't be cut miter saw the extra support for the table saw would have been helpful.

George Carion
10-15-2007, 12:31 AM
I recently purchased the Incra 1000SE. It's very accurate. It's nice to be able to conveniently get perfect angles all the time. I like it a lot.

JayStPeter
10-15-2007, 10:42 AM
I have the Incra and like it. I saw and played with the Kreg at the WW show this weekend (one of the few vendors there). The Kreg is OK, but I'd pick the Incra. Seems more accurate to me.

Jay

Greg Robbins
10-15-2007, 10:48 AM
Dubby sled! :)

Jared Cuneo
10-15-2007, 12:09 PM
Woodworker's Journal has a miter gauge roundup this month.....

I'm still on the fence, no pun intended, as well....I made some dados this weekend that we're almost 1/16 off on one end of a 12" panel, I was furious, but cannot afford to redo it....

I think that I am going to try another crosscut sled before I buy a new gauge....

JC

Gary Muto
10-15-2007, 2:06 PM
I purchased the Incra 1000SE a few months ago. My only regret is tht I didn't get it long ago. I'm very pleased with it.

Gary Keedwell
10-15-2007, 2:38 PM
Dubby sled! :)
Me too. Had it for over 15 years. I have a nice Miter but always reach for Dubby.:)

Gary

Gary Curtis
10-15-2007, 2:40 PM
There was an evaluation of after-market miter gauges in the October, 2003 issue of FineWoodworking magazine. You can see it online.

Gary Curtis

Scott Welliver
10-15-2007, 3:16 PM
I have the Incra 1000SE on my Jet cabinet saw and really like it. Very well made, fits perfect to the slot, includes a T-slot adapter. The "flip-up" depth stop and extending fence are really useful.

I originally bought a 2000 and did not like it. It only does angle cuts in one direction, and the fixed bar overhangs the edge of the table (I have a small shop, every inch counts). I sold it on Ebay and bought the 1000SE instead, since it doesn't overhang the table unless you need it to, at which point you can slide out the bar extension.

Customer service from Incra is great in my experience too. The first week I had the 2000, I dropped it and bent the bar. I called Incra to buy a new one, they asked how long I'd had it and then said they'd send one out at no charge.

No opinion either way on the Krieg -- haven't seen or used one of them.

...Scott

Dick Bringhurst
10-15-2007, 3:29 PM
I too bent the bar on my Kreg. It is light weight aluminum and bends easily. Also the the extension bar rides on plastic "buttons" which catch on the edge of the saw table when doing an angle cut. I also own one of the early models of the Incra it is much sturdier, but has some limitations. Dick B.

aaron hero
10-15-2007, 4:20 PM
I was kinda hoping everyone would prefer the Kreg! I was leaning that way just of it's appearance. I havent held one but the photos I have seen make it look very well built. I guess I better get one in my hands before I make up my mind. Thanks! Aaron

Eric Larsen
10-15-2007, 4:30 PM
Nobody likes the Osborne? They're running website special on their model three for $110.

Besides the "Norm Seal of Approval" -- it looks like a solid piece of hardware. Anyone have one?

My "local Woodcraft" is 400 miles away, so I don't have a way of picking one up and groking it.

-E

Brandon Shew
10-15-2007, 4:37 PM
1000se user here too. It's been reliable and more importantly accurate.

Neil Lamens
10-15-2007, 4:52 PM
Hi Aaron:

Investigated the Incra, Kreg and Jessum..............waiting delivery on the Incra.

Neil

Heather Thompson
10-15-2007, 5:16 PM
Incra, Incra, Incra

You might be able to tell I am a big fan, I have a 1000SE, 5000 sled, TSIII with 96"? rails, Wonder Fence and a PRL fine pitch. I have some other Incra toys, but I don't want to GLOAT.

Heather :D

Rod Sheridan
10-15-2007, 6:41 PM
I have the Jessem and really like it, if memory serves me (I'm away on business so I cannot go to the shop), the Jessem has an extendable flip stop that goes to 32 inches.

Regards, Rod.

Brian Hale
10-15-2007, 7:53 PM
I had the Kreg and gave it away. That aluminum bar is a real bad idea unless you use it exclusively for small stock.

Next i got the little Incra (V27?). It's all steel and deadly accurate but i wanted something bigger so i got the Osbourne. I don't think you'll find a more solid miter gage but there is a bit of slop in the angle setting due to the pin-and-hole setter. Once your used to it it's more then accurate enough.

What ever you choose stay away from an aluminum bar, they flex way to easy.

Brian :)

aaron hero
10-17-2007, 1:37 AM
Thanks everyone! I guess I will have to listen to the majority and get the Incra, but if you guys are wrong, look out!
Thanks again! Aaron

Lance Norris
10-17-2007, 2:19 PM
Aaron... Wood magazines current issue(179 october2007) has a miter gauge review. They recommend the Incra 1000se and the JessEm MiteRExcel. The Incra is $140 and the JessEm is $225. I bought the Incra 1000se on their recomendation and it is excellent. You wont be disappointed in this gauge. I first bought the Incra v27, but sent it back because the 1000se has a nice aluminum fence and has the ability to do 67.5 degrees. I have some flag display cases to build and need that angle.

Tim Dorcas
10-19-2007, 7:49 PM
It works fine but it is really hard to fine tune a non standard angle. I have an all JessEm router table top and that thing rocks! I would not hesitate to get anything of theirs. Second up would be the Incra.

Jamie Smith
10-23-2007, 4:55 PM
I have the osborne also, and I do like it (though it takes up alot of space when not on the saw). If I were to look today, I would probably have the jessem miterexcel on the list as well.

Mike Matise
10-24-2007, 1:15 PM
aaron;

I recently bought the Incra 1000SE and really like it a lot. Very solid and accurate. Not the easiest to adjust if you want to switch it from one miter slot to the other, but perhaps that's the price you pay for having a well-built and stable tool.

Just FYI, I got it from Hartville tool for $115 back in September. Now I see it's $124, still a really good bargain considering it includes the better fence and stop.

http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/11038

(I've got nothing to do with Hartville tool, btw. Just like their prices.)

Mike