PDA

View Full Version : Best blade for circular saw / sheet goods?

Brad Ridgway
10-14-2007, 8:43 PM
I don't have enough room / money for a panel saw, and still going back and forth on a sliding table for my GI M-185L.. so i've been cutting plywood with 2x4s on my driveway and a 10 year old dewalt circular saw.

A couple of weeks ago, i got tired of the splintering i was getting with my general purpose blades and bought a dewalt "laminate/sheet good" blade. Initially it cut ok but it was very very slow! Today it just started smoking. That may in part be my fault as i wasn't using it on sheet goods all the time and got lazy on blade changing, but even so, this hasn't held up well - teeth appear to be rusted, not just pitched after a couple of weeks (and i treat my stuff well)

Anyway, i'm hoping for something that cuts faster/smoother than this - but maybe on a limited powered saw, i'm out of luck in finding something that will perform close to my Freud laminate/ply blade does on the table saw... i've found tons of posts on recommended 10"s blades for table saws, but didn't see anything on the circular saw - would appreciate any pointers...

thx
-brad

Bill Ragland
10-14-2007, 10:18 PM
I don't have enough room / money for a panel saw, and still going back and forth on a sliding table for my GI M-185L.. so i've been cutting plywood with 2x4s on my driveway and a 10 year old dewalt circular saw.

A couple of weeks ago, i got tired of the splintering i was getting with my general purpose blades and bought a dewalt "laminate/sheet good" blade. Initially it cut ok but it was very very slow! Today it just started smoking. That may in part be my fault as i wasn't using it on sheet goods all the time and got lazy on blade changing, but even so, this hasn't held up well - teeth appear to be rusted, not just pitched after a couple of weeks (and i treat my stuff well)

Anyway, i'm hoping for something that cuts faster/smoother than this - but maybe on a limited powered saw, i'm out of luck in finding something that will perform close to my Freud laminate/ply blade does on the table saw... i've found tons of posts on recommended 10"s blades for table saws, but didn't see anything on the circular saw - would appreciate any pointers...

thx
-brad

I have a Freud Diablo 40T Finish blade in my circular saw for cutting large panels. Maybe about $15, can't remember exactly. Same process, on top of 2x4 in the garage. I have not cut plywood with it but have cut a lot of melamine particle board and it leaves a decent edge on the panel. On plywood I would suggest putting painters tape on the cutline on both sides. That will reduce tearout/chipout.

Jim Becker
10-14-2007, 10:29 PM
Prior to buying my guided saw system, I was using exactly that same blade as Bill mentions in my old B&D circular saw to cut sheet goods down. Very nice cut for the money.

Randal Stevenson
10-14-2007, 10:31 PM
How often do you cut plywood? If a lot, then I would look at one of the guide systems, like the one in the bottom of this forum, or other brands as suit your needs/taste and budget. If not very often (just a few big projects every once and a while) google a sawboard. You trim off the end and the blade runs along side it, helping to eliminate chipout on the good side. As to the blade recommendation, Freud has a pretty good 7 1/4" blade. It is a 40 tooth diablo, that the borg carries for around $15.

Tom Cowie
10-15-2007, 6:10 AM
Freud no question. They make a very good CS blade. Remember the more teeth the slower it will cut. If you force it through it 's going to burn again:)
Tom

Burt Waddell
10-15-2007, 8:39 AM
I agree 100 per cent with the 40 tooth Freud Diablo blade. Along with this add the Eurekazone base to your saw and use a AC-1 insert (Total cost about $30.) This setup will create a "zero Clearance" insert and do wonders for cut quality.

Burt

Keith Beck
10-15-2007, 10:36 AM
Brad,

Another tip is to make a ZCI for your circular saw when using it to cut plywood. I made one for mine by using double-sided tape to stick a piece of paneling over the base then plunging the blade through. Of course, that'll probably mean that your blade cover won't work anymore so be careful of that.

Keith

Charles Wiggins
10-15-2007, 11:14 AM
Brad,

I've been using an Oldham plywood blade, a 734b, I think. I got it because it was available and inexpensive. It did great to begin with as well, but I need to replace it.

As far as cutting the sheet goods, I made a straight edge guide out of 1/2" thick baseboard molding and a sheet of hardboard. I just glued the molding along the edge of the hardboard and used it as a straightedge to trim the hardboard to width. The hardboard edge gives me an alignment reference. As long as I put the cutting jig over the 'good' side of the cut I can run the hardboard right up to the line and cut right against the line.

I put a sheet of 1" thick polystyrene (foam wallboard) on the floor and put the sheet on top of it. I have a couple of notches cut out of the edge of the sheet for clamp clearance, so I can clamp the guide to the work. I NEVER try to cut anything over 1/4" thick in one pass. My rule of thumb is 1 pass per 1/4", so I will take 3 passes to cut all the way through 3/4" ply. Making the first pass shallow and the last pass directly on top of the foam really minimizes tear-out.

Happy cutting!

frank shic
10-15-2007, 11:22 AM
brad, you said the blade was smoking?!? are you sure you had the blade installed in the right direction? i've done the same thing before with a cementboard circular saw blade. i've used the eurekazone in the past with the freud 40 tooth blade and although it does not give you a chip-free cut on melamine, it works wonder on plywood.

Rob Diz
10-15-2007, 12:33 PM
I agree 100 per cent with the 40 tooth Freud Diablo blade. Along with this add the Eurekazone base to your saw and use a AC-1 insert (Total cost about $30.) This setup will create a "zero Clearance" insert and do wonders for cut quality.

Burt

I couldn't agree more. I have not had any splintering, and an edge that could easily be the smoothest I have ever had with a CS. I don't know if you will get the same results without a ZCI function you get from the EZ system, but it would seem worth the $15 to try the blade alone before taking the plunge on the EZ system.

Brad Ridgway
10-16-2007, 7:58 AM
thanks everyone you guys are awesome...

Ya i have cheesy two piece guide rail i clamp down now. It's ok, but a better rail (the festool stuff seems a bit pricey for me though) wouldn't be a bad idea and i definately like the ZCI idea...

A lot of what i'm builind gis shop stuff / cabinets, so the bulk of my work is ply. The Freud seems popular - done!

thx again
-brad

btw, ya smoking, no joke... and i know it was right direction (teeth pointed counter clockwise looking from the nut). I think i just pushed it and put it through some material it wasn't intended for either...

Stan Welborn
10-16-2007, 8:24 AM
Another vote for the Diablo. I purchased it after someone here recommended it. Dino I think. Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the cut.

Nick Clayton
10-16-2007, 8:24 AM
I use an Amana 40T blade(FC-520) for sheet goods and trimming interior doors. I also used double sided turners tape to fashion a piece of hard board to the bottom which I then plunged the blade through creating a zero clearance setup. Hope this helps:)

Charles Wiggins
10-21-2007, 1:59 PM
Well, all you guys convinced me! I got a $10 Borg giftcard for my birthday and a 10% discount card, so I decided to get a 7 1/4 40T Freud Diablo blade for cutting sheet goods. (My Oldham blade was wearing out anyway.) Just got home and can't wait to use it.

glenn bradley
10-21-2007, 3:12 PM
I also run the Diablo.

James Ayars
10-21-2007, 7:30 PM
I use a 15 year old Craftsman 12 amp saw for a lot of stuff and got tired of the Irwin 24t combo blades. Nobody around here sells Freud so I went with a Dewalt 36t thin kerf blade for repair job I was doing. I was cutting 3/4" AC plywood and it was like a had a brand new saw.

James