PDA

View Full Version : Any using the 'Work Sharp' sharpening system?

Rick Schubert
10-14-2007, 11:39 AM
I'm considering buying the WS3000 for sharpening chisels and plane blades and am wondering how current users like the system. Seems easier than a grinder and all the stones. Any disadvantages? Dislikes?

Thanks in advance. Rick

Phil Thien
10-14-2007, 11:47 AM
Love mine. Within thirty minutes I had about eight chissels sharp and ready for use. Touch-ups take a minute or two, no more.

Ken Glass
10-14-2007, 4:57 PM
Phil,
I have had mine for 3-4 months now, and I have never had chisels so sharp. I mean, "Scary Sharp." It is so easy, I have been using my chisels more and more because of the ease of use. I even received a free chisel from them after I got my WS3000. I reviewed it on another forum for them. When I bought mine, they were discounting them $30.00, if you were buying for a WW club. I am not sure that offer is still going though but contact them and try at 1800-597-6170.

Craig Stueve
10-14-2007, 5:36 PM
I will be following this thread closely as I have also been looking at the Work Sharp WS3000. I am not trying to steal the thread but I have a few questions that I think are relavent to the original post.

I would like to hear from those of you using the system how well the abrasives hold up? What do you find to be the most used abrasives when sharpening chisels and plane blades? Additionaly what accessories would you purchase in addition to the system itself?

Craig

Shane Sura
10-14-2007, 5:47 PM
I am like Craig and will b e watching closely. One other question to add to the list is how well does the machine work with plane bladed > 2 inches? How well does it work from the top?

Thanks,

Shane

Jim C Bradley
10-14-2007, 6:40 PM
Hi,

Every good thing that has been posted is true from my perspective. I have NOT done a plane blade over 2" wide so I cannot add to that.

The procedure is very fast, very repeatable, VERY sharp. You can pick up a chisel you did last week and know it will touch the abrasive at exactly the same angle as it did before.

We all should know caution around sharp chisels and plane blades. And most of us are careful around these blades. When you use Work Sharp you have to be VERY careful---the blades are amazingly sharp.

With my cheap HF blades I use only the first two steps of sharpening to start with. I do not even touch the tools to the finer abrasives --- there is no need. To me the cheap chisels are for: 1) There may be a nail in there, 2) I am apt to put some serious torque on this blade when I am excavating under a door frame when I change from vinyl to carpet, 3) Three is for all of those other things that are apt to ruin a good tool.

The WS took those, approx. $1.00 each, HF chisels and made them sharper than any other method I have used on good quality blades.

I know I sound like I own the company (wish I did)---but dang it is nice to purchase something that actually lives up to the ad department's claims.

Enjoy,

Jim

Mark Carlson
10-14-2007, 10:00 PM
Rick,

I have the 3000 version and like it a lot. I wanted something simple for chisels and plane blades. Someone on another forum I was familiar with gave it a good review so I got one. I have the Tormek but never really got good with it. The Tormek is now stored away and the worksharp sits on my bench ready to go. I dont have any plane blades over 2in so that hasn't been an issue for me. I dont have a lathe so I havn't used that aspect of the system either.

~mark

Elizabeth Yocum
10-14-2007, 10:20 PM
I have the system and to say it's easy and it works is an understatement. I really wanted to learn to do sharpening by hand, with stones, etc. But was getting frustrated to the point of wanting to quit. Saw a Work Sharp video and decided to try it. Just as an example I dug out an old chisel my Dad gave me that has not been sharpened since he last did it before he died (10 years ago) and it's been beat to pieces chopping off nails etc. It was chipped, had some old caulk on it (basically abused like a tool should not be). I put it on the Work Sharp and it looks like new and can pare off end grain with ease. It took several minutes just because it was in such bad shape --- but it's sharp now. My other chisels took no time at all to get good and sharp.

I've not tried plane blades yet, but have no doubt the system can manage it.

I did do a carving knife on the underside with the slotted plate - worked great. Took a little time to get used to seeing the blade through the plate and to get my hand position, but once I got that - my carving knife is sharp.

I would not hesitate to recommend this system. For $200 it's well worth the money.

Elizabeth Yocum
10-14-2007, 10:35 PM
I have the system and to say it's easy and it works is an understatement. I really wanted to learn to do sharpening by hand, with stones, etc. But was getting frustrated to the point of wanting to quit. Saw a Work Sharp video and decided to try it. Just as an example I dug out an old chisel my Dad gave me that has not been sharpened since he last did it before he died (10 years ago) and it's been beat to pieces chopping off nails etc. It was chipped, had some old caulk on it (basically abused like a tool should not be). I put it on the Work Sharp and it looks like new and can pare off end grain with ease. It took several minutes just because it was in such bad shape --- but it's sharp now. My other chisels took no time at all to get good and sharp.

I've not tried plane blades yet, but have no doubt the system can manage it.

I did do a carving knife on the underside with the slotted plate - worked great. Took a little time to get used to seeing the blade through the plate and to get my hand position, but once I got that - my carving knife is sharp.

I would not hesitate to recommend this system. For $200 it's well worth the money.

Pete Clifford
10-15-2007, 1:09 AM
I am like Craig and will b e watching closely. One other question to add to the list is how well does the machine work with plane bladed > 2 inches? How well does it work from the top?

Thanks,

Shane

The major disadvantage of the WS3000 is that it only works on blades up to 2" wide. For example, the wider plane blades used on the #7 planes cannot be used in the tool guide, but could be used from the top of the machine. I am looking at the Veritas sharpening system from Lee Valley that uses a similar system of abrasive disks and isn't limited to 2" blades. However, the Veritas is over $400 compared to $200 for the WS, so you'll have to decide if sharpening capability greater than 2" is worth double the cost. I think that the WS3000 offers the best bang for your buck, and can only hope they offer a WS4000 soon (does anybody know anything about future WS products?).

Michael Panis
10-15-2007, 6:23 AM
The WorkSharp came out after I had already bought the (expensive) Veritas system, otherwise I might have bought the WS. One difference between the two is that you slide the blade side to side when using the Veritas. While I've never used the WorkSharp, it appears that you simply touch the blade down to the abbrasive.
This brings me to my question for WS users: I would imagine the abrasive might get nicked or might wear unevenly. Since you don't move the blade from side to side, I would imagine any unevenness on the abbrasive would transfer to the blade, buch like a nick in a planer blade transfers to the workpiece.
Has this been a problem for anyone??

Rick Schubert
10-15-2007, 10:53 AM
Good point, Michael and I don't mind the other questions that have been raised. They certainly apply.

Thanks everyone for the responses so far!

Rick

Ken Glass
10-15-2007, 4:53 PM
One thing to remember is you can use any 6" sanding disk and are not confined to using the Worksharp grits. So if you have a supplier that is say cheaper, or you like better use their disks instead. They must be PSA and not H&L. I have found several sources for 6" disks in many grits form 80 to 3600. I used all the grits from 400 to 3600 because I wanted a mirror finish on my plane irons and chisels. It helps to use all the grits as suggested, to better keep the heat off the chisel. When you follow the directions given, your results will be amazing.

Lori Kleinberg
10-15-2007, 5:01 PM
I am also considering the work sharp system. I think this would be a great christmas present :D It always takes me forever :eek: to sharpen my chisels because I never get the same exact angle:o

Craig Stueve
10-15-2007, 8:38 PM
I have found several sources for 6" disks in many grits form 80 to 3600.

Ken, would you like to give up your sources?

Craig

Shane Sura
10-15-2007, 8:57 PM
I am almost convinced. I am only concerned because I have one plane blade that is right at 2 inches and one that is > 2 inches. That being said they are not sharp now so I can't imagine it being worse than it already is. I, like many others, have struggled a lot with sharpening. I just can't get my technique (or patience) down. Thanks for all the posts now if I could only find a % off coupon for one of the many online retailers.

Shane

Ron Hedrick
10-16-2007, 8:29 AM
Does anyone know the differences between the WS 3000 and the WS 2000? For a hundred dollars less is there a big difference?

Bill Ragland
10-16-2007, 9:07 AM
Does anyone know the differences between the WS 3000 and the WS 2000? For a hundred dollars less is there a big difference?

I believe the 2000 runs at 1750 RPM while the 3000 it 580 RPM. Also I think there are more accessories with the 3000. The 2000 chisel port is also smaller, less than 2" and I believe it is fixed at 25 degrees, no adjustment for other angles. WorkSharp has a website where you can compare the two machines.

Bill Ragland

Ken Glass
10-16-2007, 4:11 PM
Craig,
There are so many I have used over the years, it would be best to just Google- 6" sanding disc's 400,600,1000, 3600 grit Etc. The 3600 grit are the hardest to find. I have been finding a lot on eBay recently. I also found some an Amazon.com Just about any manufacturer can supply 6". I just punch the hole in the center if it doesn't come with one.

glenn bradley
10-16-2007, 5:07 PM

Having seen them side by side on more than one occasion, IMHO if you're not going with the 3000, just keep doing what your doing now. The 2000 is way too limited. My dad has the 3000 and it is sweet.

As to folks looking for really fine 'papers', 3M micro-abrasive-film is available from 'tools for working wood' and you can cut your own circles.

Shane Sura
10-16-2007, 7:25 PM
Ok I decided to pull the trigger. I purchased mine today (even got 15% off) and it should arrive by the weekend. I will post out as to how well it handles > 2 inch blades.

Shane

Craig Stueve
10-16-2007, 7:30 PM
Thanks Ken.

I thought that you might have found one paticularly good source for the discs.

Craig

Larry Anderson
10-16-2007, 7:57 PM
Shane ,
Who did you buy from for 15% off?

Larry

Shane Sura
10-18-2007, 10:54 PM
Ok I got the WS3k today. Got it set up in a snap and got down to sharpening. Of course, due to my nature, I started on the worst plane I had. So far the machine works great and I did end up sharpening a chisel enough to shave hairs. I will caution everyone that though the manual says it is set up to cut straight from the factory I found that not to be the case. But it is very easy to adjust so once found I fixed it easily.

Overall I did not have enough time with it to give an accurate opinion but so far I am impressed.

Shane