PDA

View Full Version : Looking into pen turning

David Spicer
02-05-2004, 9:40 PM
Well I keep seeing all of these pens being made and they look very neat. My question is what do I need to have to do this? I do have a 36" lathe and some other minor tools. Can someone give me some insites on making them and the equipment needed.

Thanks
Dave

Chris Johnson
02-05-2004, 10:27 PM
Well...first you need some REALLY long pen kits. :D

You probably have the tools. Something to cut the blanks (anything from a smalll saw and miter box up to SCMS), something to drill hole in the blanks (same scenario), a couple of types of CA glue or what ever you choose, some sanding supplies (150 grit to 12000 is nice) and some finishing supplies. It can be as mild ar wild as you like. Somewhere on here I posted a more complete list, but can't remember where. It's easy, but addictive!

Well I keep seeing all of these pens being made and they look very neat. My question is what do I need to have to do this? I do have a 36" lathe and some other minor tools. Can someone give me some insites on making them and the equipment needed.

Thanks
Dave

Jeff Skory
02-05-2004, 10:44 PM
I don't have a lathe (yet) but I also was interested in what it takes to make pens. I just ordered a DVD from Bill Baumbeck (http://www.arizonasilhouette.com). It is quite well done and he tells you everything you need to get started and goes through the process of making three different pens.

The video is over 2 hours long. Bill does not skip past any steps. You get to see the entire process. While this can be a little boring at times it helps to get a feeling for what is involved.

I definitely would recommend purchasing the video to get started. And if you enjoy it (very likely) you'll probably end up buying some books to move further along into that aspect of woodworking.

Good luck. And post some pictures once you build some pens.

Advice from a non-turner :D

Scott Greaves
02-05-2004, 10:44 PM
Hi Dave!

Penturning sure is a lot of fun!

You said you have a lathe, I'll assume you have a couple of lathe tools, such as a gouge and skew.

You would need to buy a pen mandrel. My favorite is the mandrel from Berea, the one with the drill driver. You will need to buy pen kits, bushings to go with those kits, and the correct drill bit for that kit. You need a selection of sandpaper, at least up to 600 grit. And you need a finish. I recommend either HUT Crystal Coat or Mylands Friction Polish. These are the basics.

It's nice to have a pen mill to square the faces of the blank to the brass tube. It's nice to have a set of Micro Mesh, which goes way beyond the 600 grit paper!

In a special category is glue. It's not a bad idea to have a small bottle of Gorilla Glue, one of those plunger kits of epoxy, and a couple of bottles of CA glue, thin and thick. Try them and see what you like for gluing the tubes into the blanks. The thin CA is a different matter - you will use it for all kinds of things in the process of penturning. I even use it for a finish!

Other tools that are handy are a bandsaw for cutting up the pen blanks, and a drill press for drilling the holes. Of course a grinder for sharpening your tools.

I would also like to recommend the penturning video by Bill Baumbeck of Arizona Silhouette (arizonasilhouette.com). I wish I had it when I was starting penturning!

Have fun! And ask questions when they come up!

Scott.

Dennis Peacock
02-06-2004, 1:18 AM
<b>Hey Scott Greaves!</b>

I have used the micromesh from Bill B. and I really liked the way the pens finished up with the polishing through 12000 grit. My problem is, you don't get much sanding material for the high cost of the micromesh. Is there anything any cheaper that will yield about the same results? Now, don't get me wrong here....I DO like the micromesh and it does last longer than standard sandpaper. It's just so expensive for the size you get. Any advice?

Chris Johnson
02-06-2004, 1:24 AM
Hey Dennis, I have finished over 100 pens with a single MM kit. They seem to last forever. Just knock the dust off of them on your jeans and keep on kkepin' on. When they get real dirty, just throw them in a mesh laundry bag and throw them in the washing machine. Let them hang dry, and they work like new again. They are the cheapest part of my sanding regime. I spend way more on the sanding cloth than MicroMesh. I keep a second set for when I'm washing one set.

I have used the micromesh from Bill B. and I really liked the way the pens finished up with the polishing through 12000 grit. My problem is, you don't get much sanding material for the high cost of the micromesh. Is there anything any cheaper that will yield about the same results? Now, don't get me wrong here....I DO like the micromesh and it does last longer than standard sandpaper. It's just so expensive for the size you get. Any advice?

Dennis Peacock
02-06-2004, 1:40 AM
Hey Dennis, I have finished over 100 pens with a single MM kit. They seem to last forever. Just knock the dust off of them on your jeans and keep on kkepin' on. When they get real dirty, just throw them in a mesh laundry bag and throw them in the washing machine. Let them hang dry, and they work like new again. They are the cheapest part of my sanding regime. I spend way more on the sanding cloth than MicroMesh. I keep a second set for when I'm washing one set.

Hey Chris.....

I don't know how you do 100 pens with a single MM kit. I was only able to get about 20 to 25 pens out of a single kit even after washing them in the washing machine. Am I just tossing them too soon? They just seem to not polish any more after about 20 or so pens. Advice for the weary?

Julie Wright
02-06-2004, 6:12 AM
ALRIGHT!!!

Another jumping into the Pen Turning Vortex.....
You will have a lot of fun. I just started turning in Nov and can't get enought. They tell me the skys the limit in design. You should check out the pen albums at yahoo penturners, its amazing what folks come up with... Another site to check out is www.penturners.org, its a new site but there are some very beautiful pens in the albums there.

Welcome to the CLUB..... :)

Ken Salisbury
02-06-2004, 8:57 AM
Hey Scott Greaves!

Is there anything any cheaper that will yield about the same results? Now, don't get me wrong here....I DO like the micromesh and it does last longer than standard sandpaper. It's just so expensive for the size you get. Any advice?

Dennis,

Go to your local automobile paint supply house and buy 3M Gold paper (rolls). It is what I use exclusively with my lathe work. I buy up to 800 grit. Approximatrely $30.00/roll - but lasts forever !!!.

Scott Greaves
02-06-2004, 11:40 AM

Hey Dennis!

I'm pretty much with Chris on this one! My Micro Mesh goes on and on! It does help to slap it on your jeans after every use. And after twenty or thirty pens I put them in my pants pockets and wash them, and lay them out to dry. I have some that have been through four or five washings. Now, mind you, they don't look pretty like on day one, but they work. You should also realize that a used set of MM will not sand as aggressively as the new ones - they do wear - but they do still work.

Now, I have melted my Micro Mesh before! It doesn't take much - just hold it in one spot for a split-second too long, and you have a big old streak of mesh gone! And you have to get rid of the melted black goo off your pen blank! To avoid this you can sand at a slower speed - quite prudent! Or you can wet sand (and at a lower speed if you want!) to help lubricate the MM. Also quite prudent! But I am not a prudent person, so I keep my lathe on high speed, use it dry, and just keep it moving. Each level of MM is only on my pen blanks a max of about five seconds.

Think of Micro Mesh not as sandpaper - you really should do all the necessary sanding before switching to the MM - but think of it as a polishing material! Light and quick! It takes me longer to wrap the MM around the felt backer block than it does to use it! I hope this helps!

Scott.

Dennis Peacock
02-06-2004, 11:59 AM
Chris.....Advice is taken.

Ken....I'm trying to find an auto supply house here that even has the stuff.

Scott.....I hear ya and I guess my thinking about MM has been one of SANDING and not polishing. I have been really applying the pressure with the MM pieces and I do it just like Bill B. does in his video. I guess by MM use is like Kevin Gersty pointed out in my bowl sanding.....too much pressure......I'll have to order more MM and try it again....but it won't be soon.....

Thanks to all three of you for your info. I appreciate the education and pointers.

Kent Cori
02-06-2004, 2:04 PM
Dennis,

If you haven't already, check out the Micro Mesh set that Berea Hardwoods sells. It is only $10 and the sheet size works well for pens.