PDA

View Full Version : Biscuit Joiner Preference?

Dan Barr
10-14-2007, 11:35 AM
Porter Cable 557 or the Dewalt DW682K.

Any feedback? I think both are pretty good, just looking for a few opinions.

Thanks,

Dan

Gary Keedwell
10-14-2007, 11:41 AM

Thanks,

Dan
I might be showing my age, but many years ago I was given a PC and the fence was not parallel with the blade. brought it back and purchased a Dewalt because of the rack and pinion adjustment. I think PC fixed that problem, right?
Gary

Phil Thien
10-14-2007, 11:45 AM
I actually like the Makita. It also has a R&P fence.

David Weaver
10-14-2007, 12:32 PM
I haven't used the PC, but I do have the DW cutter and it works well - very well for a cheapie biscuit cutter.

Someone I know keeps telling me that I don't know how one is supposed to work until I try a lamello, though. Hopefully, I won't. Don't need those kinds of wants for how often I use the tool.

Paul Girouard
10-14-2007, 12:35 PM
I like my DW , the PC is heavier and has that smaller biscuits option. I've used both, and others , but perfer the DW over all the others I've used , including the Lemello top ten. Which at the time , and I think now , does not have as good / easliy adjustable fence system.

But of the two mentioned I like the DeWalt.

Chris Rosenberger
10-14-2007, 12:43 PM
I have started out with a Freud, got a Dewalt & really liked it. A friend talked me into getting a PC 557. I never liked it as well as the Dewalt. So I sold the Freud & the PC & bought a second Dewalt to take out on job sites.

Paul Hendrickson
10-14-2007, 12:46 PM
My PC is one of my very favorite tools. I have used it a lot, and it has always worked flawlessly. One of my regrets is that I did not buy one for my wife's grandfather while he was still alive. It would have helped him tremendously.

I think you will be happy with either choice.

Recently there was a lengthy discussion of tool regrets, and biscuit joiner's kept popping up. I think that those that use them love them, and those that don't, regret buying them. Might go read that thread before buying. Might help sort out the need.

Stan Welborn
10-14-2007, 1:06 PM
I have the Dewalt., Works like a champ. But truthfully, no more than I use one, I think most any would work fine.

Jim Becker
10-14-2007, 1:52 PM
I use a biscuit jointer so infrequently that I'm perfectly happy with my Freud JS102. If I needed more versatility, I'd likely buy the PC that can also handle the very small biscuits. That all said, pocket screws have pretty much obviated the need for biscuits in my projects.

frank shic
10-14-2007, 4:11 PM
dan, i had a PC557 version 3 which worked well enough for me until i saw the festool domino. i immediately sold it off for near retail price on ebay in anticipation of buying a festool domino in the future to do furniture. the dominos are just so much stronger than the biscuits. what are you planning on using the biscuit jointer for? if you want to do cabinets, there are easier ways (staple and screw) to assemble them.

Dan Barr
10-14-2007, 4:40 PM
I'll be using it to reinforce butt joints on a desk. im putting a 2" x 1 1/8' rail on the edges of the oak plywood tops. i'll biscuit joint between.

v/r

dan

frank shic
10-14-2007, 4:50 PM
dan, do you really need biscuits for solid wood edging? unless you're worried about alignment and want to minimize the amount of sanding afterwards, gluing and clamping should be all that's needed. on a recent desk project, i used pocket screws for securing 3/4" thick maple edging to a plywood top.

Dan Barr
10-14-2007, 4:54 PM
Im no glue expert, but, can i really get by with just glue on a 2" wide rail? because it is a little heavier, i figured the biscuits would make it durable beyond what i need. maybe its just overkill. what do you think?

v/r

dan

frank shic
10-14-2007, 5:02 PM
if you're using standard 4/4 stock or 3/4" thick material, i don't see why you should have any problem with gluing a 2" wide. pocket screws would definitely give you additional security.

Dan Barr
10-14-2007, 5:34 PM
Thanks.

the rail (edge is 2" x 1 1/8", so a little bigger than 4/4 stock. i'll start off with 5/4 stock and joint/plane to 1 1/8". this will give the desk a more robust look and feel. I agree that the pocket screws will add the stregth i need. should i cap/cover them being that they will be on the underside?

v/r

dan

Jeff Booth
10-14-2007, 9:21 PM
I've got a DW, I use it a lot, I am sold on the idea but not the tool. The DW I have is not parallel and there is slop in the slide mechanism. When I first got it I was not as bothered as I am now, I was so awestruck by biscuit joinery that I lived with the inadequecy of the tool, but now I want better fit and finish. Also the DW is ungodly loud. Yes the fence is pretty good, but I understand the PC fence is nice too.

The other thing that I dislike the the 2 1/8" minimum width (problem with all standard biscuit joiners) . I can't tell you how many times I would have like to have used it to join rails that were narrower. That alone would push me to the PC ......... if there was not the Domino out there on the market. There is a Domino in my future. But that is a lot more $ than anything save the deluxe Lamello. I would take a hard look at the PC if not for the Festool.

FWW did a review of several a few years back (if I recall their DW was out of parallel as well), maybe it is worth digging up.

Jeff

Gary Keedwell
10-14-2007, 9:50 PM
[quote=Jeff Booth;675227]I've got a DW, I use it a lot, I am sold on the idea but not the tool. The DW I have is not parallel and there is slop in the slide mechanism. When I first got it I was not as bothered as I am now, I was so awestruck by biscuit joinery that I lived with the inadequecy of the tool, but now I want better fit and finish. Also the DW is ungodly loud. Yes the fence is pretty good, but I understand the PC fence is nice too.
You say it is not parallel but it is a good fence...don't understand. What is not parallel?
GK

frank shic
10-14-2007, 9:55 PM
shouldn't be a problem. please post pics when you finish, dan!

Bill Ragland
10-14-2007, 9:57 PM
I started out with a bargain basement Ebay unit. Not very accurate so I got the Dewalt and never been sorry. Works very well. As far as Porter Cable goes it always get the highest reviews with the exception of the Lamello (too pricey). The one difference that I see is that the PC will do face frame bisuits smallest ones for a full size joiner. That could be an assest but I find pocket holes screws much better for that application.

Dave MacArthur
10-15-2007, 1:43 AM
I bought a DW biscuit joiner back in 97. I used it a few times, and liked it. Then one day I got a simple Kreg pocket hole jig for Xmas. I have never used the biscuit joiner again. But before I got it, I lusted after it and was so happy when I first got the biscuiter, and I do love yellow... now I can't bear to sell it. It sits unused up on my shelf watching me in the shop, an old friend and psychological booster. In the past few years, I don't even feel guilty while pocketholing in front of it...

Read this thread on "Worst Tool Purchases Ever", you'll be surprised as I was at how many people bought biscuit joiners and prefer other methods. I believe the ONLY tool rating lower in the poll was some nefarious detail sander put out by PC.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=61338&highlight=worst+tool+purchase

Chris Brault
10-15-2007, 2:35 AM
I'm just an intermediate woodworker, but have the pc 557 and love it. I've never used the pocket hole joinery yet, and probably wont, just because i've gotten used to using the biscuit joiner and it's pretty easy and makes a strong joint from what i've seen. I guess i just don't understand why pocket hole joinery is so much better. I bought a cheaper craftsman biscuit joiner as my first one (especially after reading it in the "worst tools ever purchased" and realized i really liked the biscuit joinery and wanted one that had a better fence system, so got the PC. I guess that's why there is so many brands and options on the market, everybody is different.

Al Willits
10-15-2007, 8:23 AM
Newbie here, but I got the PC one because of the smaller bisquits (ff?) and I find I use them alot, helps me line up joints and in assembly, I don't think the DW has them, but I'm betting both are decent tools.
My PC was straight out of the box and works great, I'd buy another one.

I'm finding I'm using different methods of joinery even on the same project, finding some work better or are easier in particular cases.

Al

Dan Barr
10-15-2007, 8:52 AM
thanks for the posts. I'm now leaning towards the PC because it can do the smaller biscuits. I think that ability definitely tilts the scales in its favor.

I will post pics of the desk when i get it done.

Thanks,

Dan :)

Dixon Peer
10-15-2007, 10:12 AM
We started out with a Virutex about twenty years ago. I have have a DeWalt and three Lamellos, one of which is a Top. The Lamellos are superior in my opinion, particularly the Top because of its micrometer depth adjustment.

Jim Kountz
10-15-2007, 11:14 AM
The DW is a fine tool, Ive had mine for years. If I bought one and it wasnt parallel or had play in it I would have returned it in a minute. Mine is solid works very smooth and has for over 10 years now. Pocket screws are a neat little novelty but they cannot replace a biscuit joiner for tasks such as large panel glue ups where alignment is critical or installing wide casement trim and crown where it would be impossible to screw the pieces together unless you somehow did it before hand and installed in a unit which would be well...really silly.

Mick Zelaska
10-16-2007, 8:18 AM
I have a $99 Ryobi that has served me well for years. Never saw a need to upgrade until the Domino came out. I still reach for the Ryobi when I don't need the strength of a tenon.

Matt Meiser
10-16-2007, 9:10 AM
I have the PC, haven't ever used another. The Dewalt supposed had some difference that gripped the workpiece better back when I got mine (learned that after buying) but I've never noticed a problem. I used to use it for panel glue ups because that's what Norm did, but not anymore. Now it is mostly used for alignment on tricky assemblies--which means it doesn't get a lot of use.

Brad Naylor
10-16-2007, 9:28 AM
I use an old Elu, but wouldn't buy another biscuit joiner. I'd go the whole hog and get a Domino.

I haven't sprung for one just yet, but it seems to me that it will do anything a BJ will do, but a lot more besides.

Such as replacing mortice & tenon joints and pocket screws.

Rick Gooden
10-16-2007, 11:15 AM
I have the least expensive Freud and have been very pleased. It does not see much action with pocket screws and a Dowel Max.

Steven Wilson
10-16-2007, 12:03 PM
I have the PC and it works well although it's a bit heavy. I also recently picked up a Lamello (older style without a fence but perfect for 3/4" stock) for $50 and that thing is smooth. I'll still use my PC for when I need it but I look forward to using the Lamello more and more. I've gotten spoiled with a Lamello Cantex that I found for a great price a couple of years back and always am looking for good Lamello tools when they come up cheap.

Jason White
10-16-2007, 3:26 PM
I have the DeWalt. It's pretty good. Great dust-collection when hooked up to my Festool vac.

JW

Thanks,

Dan

Bill Brehme
10-16-2007, 4:18 PM
Here's a good review of all the biscuit joiners.

http://www.plansnow.com/reviewjointer.html

Just download the PDF and enjoy!!!:cool:

Dan Barr
10-16-2007, 6:26 PM
very nice.

sums it up perfectly.

Thanks,

Dan

Howard Rosenberg
10-16-2007, 7:19 PM
The second blade for the small size biscuits is very useful for face-frames and narrow stock.
The handle and the "shooting mechanism" felt more comfortable than any other type.

People who own the DeWalt love theirs.

The conclusion?
- How important is the small size of biscuits for your projects?
- Which unit feels better in your hand?

That'll tell you which one you prefer.

HTH
Howard