PDA

View Full Version : Need help with basement layout

Nino Maini
10-14-2007, 6:33 AM
As some of you have seen in my other thread about concrete sealers, I got a house with a nice basement :D

Since I'm stuck in China again for the next 6 weeks, I figure I would try and work on some layouts. After spending most of the weekend, I still have nothing I like. I now completely understand why everyone spend so much time on this. The options are endless.

Attached is my latest idea. Everything in BOLD black can not move. The items in black I already own. The items in RED I will be purchasing/building in the future.

So what does everyone think?

Jason Roehl
10-14-2007, 10:34 AM
One thing that sticks out to me (opinion) is the location of the benchtop mortiser. I'd put that over by the assembly table on the workbench. Here's why: all your rough-dimensioning tools are pretty well in one area (jointer, planer, table saw, miter and radial-arm saw), but a mortiser has more to do with final dimensioning and fitting than those tools. I'd probably even try to get the drill press next to it, too, along with the scroll saw. Where to put them? Perhaps shorten the workbench a tad, as it looks like it's about 24' long (16-20' would still be plenty), and I would think those tools could occupy some of the left end (nearest the Bilco doors). Perhaps the drill press could be at the very end, then the scroll saw and then the mortiser on the workbench with no upper cabinets above them. It looks to me like the DP and SS block/bottleneck an otherwise convenient passageway between your rough dimensioning area and the assembly area. Just because you can walk through it doesn't mean you can walk through it easily carrying parts.

Looks like you have plenty of space to work with, though--that can be as much of a problem as too little, as too much space can mean inefficient process--instead of turning around with a part to do the next operation, you have to walk across the room.

Just my $0.02.

Gary Keedwell
10-14-2007, 10:52 AM
I don't like to offer advice on layouts because everybody is different but I was impressed that your getting a Bridgeport. Nice. Also, what do you think about an 8" jointer instead of a 6" ? :)
Gary

Michael Lutz
10-14-2007, 12:35 PM
Depending on the length of stock you are working with, you may want to maximize the infeed and outfeed to the jointer and planer. I would either move the J and P to around the middle post or move the J to the left side of the TS and move the P closer to the TS.

On second thought, I think I would flip the machining and bench areas. just be sure that most of the machines in the center are mobile. Run the TS, J, P 90 degrees from their current orientation.

These are just my thoughts. You are the one who has to live with it.

Mike

Cary Swoveland
10-14-2007, 1:11 PM
It would be nice to get rid of the first and third posts from the left. Have you looked into that?

Cary

Jim Becker
10-14-2007, 1:45 PM
With all that space, it would be nice if you could figure in a dedicated finishing room or at least one larger open area that could be used for assembly and quickly reconfigured with a multi-height assembly surface, etc.

As to your layout...consider work flow first and think about what tools you can tuck away in a "tool coral" when they are not actually in use. Perhaps over toward the oil tanks.

Nino Maini
10-15-2007, 3:01 AM
thanks everyone, you all have some valid points!!

Jason: Good point of the Morister. I had the drill press in a central location for woodworking and metal working, but I can get another drill press for the metal working side :)

Gary: Ha, you will be more impressed when I tell you I already got one. My company is "upgrading" to newer machine and I got one of the machines they were going to sell. I paid 1 buck for it. Hmm, if I get a new jointer I would upgrade to a 12", they prices have come down a lot for those machines

Michael: I did not think about that layout. I need to draw it up and see how it "feels"

Cary: My house is a 2.5 story Dutch Colonial, so I'm not sure if I can do that, but worth the look

Jim: Oh, I never thought about a finishing room, thanks. this why I posted....