PDA

View Full Version : Jointer Upgrade

gary Zimmel
10-13-2007, 9:59 PM
Got my new head for my 8" General Canada jointer a couple of days ago. Had new bearings put on and was able to get it installed today.
All it took to get it level with the outfeed table was a couple of .004" shims. Total time for the swap was about 3 hours which made me happy.
After every thing was adjusted again it was time to test her out.
I can't believe how smooth and quiet this head is. It is well worth the $$ for this upgrade.

Thanks David for getting it to me so quick...

Eddie Darby
10-13-2007, 10:45 PM
Nice pics and nice work!:D

How's the cut look?

Gary Keedwell
10-14-2007, 12:42 AM
Wow. you are lucky. 8" jointer with carbide insert head is my retirement dream.:)
Gary

Greg Pavlov
10-14-2007, 8:25 AM
I can't believe how smooth and quiet this head is. It is well worth the $$ for this upgrade.

Thanks David for getting it to me so quick...

This is good to know. I was surprised when I came across this recently (the sidebar):
http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/FWNPDF/011180067.pdf

Dixon Peer
10-14-2007, 9:29 AM
Wow. you are lucky. 8" jointer with carbide insert head is my retirement dream.:)
Gary

How about a Tersa knife head. So easy to change tooling; it takes about a minute and a half for me to change four knives.

Gary Keedwell
10-14-2007, 10:39 AM
This is good to know. I was surprised when I came across this recently (the sidebar):
http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/FWNPDF/011180067.pdf
Well, his comment on the quality of finish with carbide inserts is in stark contrast to the many testimonials of late. I think opinions are in direct relationship with expectations. A jointer's job is to make wood flat. You want a good finish, you run it through a drum sander or use your ROS.
Most reviews say you have to view the wood in the proper angle to the light to see the machine marks. Most marks cannot be felt with finger tips and are easily sanded out.
As HSS will initially give nice "finishes" it will not hold up to the daily rigors of hardwoods and exotics.
As a machinist in my other life, I am happy that the wood industry is finally embracing what the machining industry has known for over 30 years.:)
Gary K.

Greg Pavlov
10-14-2007, 6:49 PM
Well, his comment on the quality of finish with carbide inserts is in stark contrast to the many testimonials of late. ...
Gary K.
To tell the truth, what most appeals to me about these replacements is the reduction in noise. I am setting up in the basement of my (50-yr old) new house, with 81" clearance from floor to joists, and I am becoming more and more allergic to really loud noise as I get older, and my wife's never been fond of it, so anything that cuts it down to any extent is gold to me.

What is "HSS?"

Gary Keedwell
10-14-2007, 7:00 PM
To tell the truth, what most appeals to me about these replacements is the reduction in noise. I am setting up in the basement of my (50-yr old) new house, with 81" clearance from floor to joists, and I am becoming more and more allergic to really loud noise as I get older, and my wife's never been fond of it, so anything that cuts it down to any extent is gold to me.

What is "HSS?"
HSS = High Speed Steel...... Basically meaning it will cut at high speeds without getting too hot. Overheating will result in a dull edge which happens in a high carbon tool bit.
GK