PDA

View Full Version : New CNC Forum

Keith Outten
10-13-2007, 9:05 PM
We just created our new CNC Forum in an effort to provide for a growing number of our Members who own and operate CNC routers and other CNC machines. This Forum is for open discussion on any make, model or manufacturer of CNC equipment plus tips and tricks of the trade.

Leo Voisine
11-14-2007, 10:21 PM
Thank you,

I really do appreciate this new forum. I am sure it will grow and be quite productive

Mark Noll
07-19-2008, 6:35 PM
Thanks for adding the new topic.

Your forum is great. I am looking to purchase a CNC router soon and could use some advice.

Mark Neeley
04-11-2009, 5:48 PM
Hello and thank you for this forum,

I purchased two machines with the software to run them, but it is not too user friendly (dos/windows). I have engraved some lines of text. I am wanting to do some dimensional milling, like grape bunches, dimensional lettering and relief cuts.

I have been looking on the internet for infomation on changing these two machines to either mach3 or emc2 but they have a pretty good learning curve too. I would like a more friendly windows work invironment if it is possible, that does not cost an arm and a leg.

I use CorelDraw8 and x3, I purchased winpcsign as it had a driver for the 9000 but I have not been able to get it working.

Will I have to change anything else to get it up in running in a 21st century windows environment.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks, : ) Mark

Neeley Graphics
Signs & Designs
Bellbrook, Ohio

James Jaragosky
04-11-2009, 6:31 PM
Hello and thank you for this forum,

I purchased two machines with the software to run them, but it is not too user friendly (dos/windows). I have engraved some lines of text. I am wanting to do some dimensional milling, like grape bunches, dimensional lettering and relief cuts.

I have been looking on the internet for infomation on changing these two machines to either mach3 or emc2 but they have a pretty good learning curve too. I would like a more friendly windows work invironment if it is possible, that does not cost an arm and a leg.

I use CorelDraw8 and x3, I purchased winpcsign as it had a driver for the 9000 but I have not been able to get it working.

Will I have to change anything else to get it up in running in a 21st century windows environment.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks, : ) Mark

Neeley Graphics
Signs & Designs
Bellbrook, Ohio

Sorry to say I am unable to give you any advice; as I am new to the field myself.
But Welcome to SMC.
Jim J.

Tom Galzin
05-12-2009, 6:49 PM
Mark,

I have experience intrgrating a new CNC to a machine. You are exactly right that it has a big learning curve. Maybe try Mach Motion. They will be able to smooth the process a lot. He's a little spendy compared to the "parts" cost, but when you consider the fustration and time, it might be a bargin.

Good Luck!

Angus Hines
05-12-2009, 11:44 PM
NEW????.....LOL.....:D

Welcome all to the Creek !

Ted Filley
05-23-2009, 10:33 AM
Thanks Keith for this new forum. I'm usually on the turners forum but thought I'd jump in here. I've been programming and training 5-axis machining since 1994. I manage a pattern and mold shop with several large 5-axis cnc routers. One 5'x10'x36"z and my baby a 10'x20'x6'z.
I just purchased ArtCam Pro and want to put a small cnc in my home shop. I'm interested in cnc shark. Any input would be welcome.

Thanks again, Ted

Keith Outten
05-23-2009, 8:02 PM
Ted,

Welcome to our CNC Forum, it isn't the most active forum here at SawMill Creek but I predict that it will continue to grow. In time, as more people join us I hope this forum will be a powerhouse of information. I have watched our laser engraving forum grow to one of our most active here.

You obviously have a lot of experience in the CNC field, thanks for joining us here.

james mcgrew
05-23-2009, 9:45 PM
ted, welcome and i do have one question, wouldn't purchasing a rocklear shark after working with the type of routers you have, kinda be like buying a radio controled truck to run around in your driveway after having driven semis on the interstate?

again welcome!!

jim

James Jaragosky
05-24-2009, 12:46 AM
ted, welcome and i do have one question, wouldn't purchasing a rocklear shark after working with the type of routers you have, kinda be like buying a radio controled truck to run around in your driveway after having driven semis on the interstate?

again welcome!!

jim
More like running a smart car in the indy 500.:D

Dave Garcia
06-10-2009, 11:26 PM
Thanks Keith for this new forum. I'm usually on the turners forum but thought I'd jump in here. I've been programming and training 5-axis machining since 1994. I manage a pattern and mold shop with several large 5-axis cnc routers. One 5'x10'x36"z and my baby a 10'x20'x6'z.
I just purchased ArtCam Pro and want to put a small cnc in my home shop. I'm interested in cnc shark. Any input would be welcome.

Thanks again, Ted

Ted,

If it's a small CNC (from 1/2" wide to 14" wide, length is unlimited) machine with it's own software package that works on both a PC with Windows or a Mac with OSX, then check out the CarveWright machine. They have a very good pattern shop, provide excellent before and after customer service and support and you can get the entire package for just a little over $2000. And if you speak with Jason at The Little Red Wood Shop, you might even be able to get free shipping (he's an authorized dealer) if you buy from him.

Oh, and one other thing. CarveWright will give you a free trial copy of their Designer Software (down loadable from their web site) to play with for 30 days. the only thing you can not do with it is "upload" a project onto their computer card. But at least this will give you a chance to see if this is what you are looking for.

CarveWright also has a "users" forum, although it certainly is NOT as good and or as well laid out as Sawmill Creek.

I've had my CarveWright for over a year and am totally satisfied with it. Unfortunately I had absolutely no computer graphics background, other than using Photoshop, when I bought my machine which has caused me to probably spend more time learning the software than someone with at least some exposure to a good computer graphics program.

Good luck, and welcome to this very welcomed new section of the forum!

Dave Garcia :)
The Wood Block, Ltd

-----------------------------

Hawaiian rule: To be rich, make more or desire less!

Carl Vastola
09-30-2009, 8:47 AM
I come with a lot of experience in the CNC World with CNC repair, sales, programming, and integration. I work a lot on the big boy machines and have helped with updating the controlls on the older machines. I live in Three Oaks, Michigan. I am self employed and work on all kinds of Woodworking machines. I have been doing this for 25 years. I work in Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, and Ohio.I help people with there electrical and electronic problems. I sell the Cam Solution line of CNC Machines. These are Heavy Duty machines rainging from $68.000 to $159.000. Tabel size is 4'X8' to 5'X20' If anybody need any help or advice out there, I would love to help.