PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone go to the Chicago Woodworking Show at The Odeum?

Ken Shoemaker
10-13-2007, 7:20 PM
I was wondering if anyone went to the show and what ya' thought? Thinking about going up there tomorrrow if it was worth seeing. I haven't been in a couple years, and when I did it seemed like a big flea market? I guess I'm wondering if there are any deals or cool stuff I should be looking for???

Heather Thompson
10-13-2007, 7:50 PM
I was wondering if anyone went to the show and what ya' thought? Thinking about going up there tomorrrow if it was worth seeing. I haven't been in a couple years, and when I did it seemed like a big flea market? I guess I'm wondering if there are any deals or cool stuff I should be looking for???

I laughed when I read your description of a few years ago, a big flea market. If you read my post eight down from yours you will see why, I beat you to the flea market line. Don't waste your time or gas to get there, the worst I have EVER been to, will not go next year for sure.

Russ Massery
10-14-2007, 7:49 AM
Ditto, The biggest waste of time ever. They could of put the whole show in one side of the hall. The smallest and worst show in the ten plus years I've been going there. I won't going anymore.

Ken Shoemaker
10-14-2007, 8:53 AM
Thanks guys... I guess I'll just head spend som good time in the shop instead of wasting time.

Russ, Nice to hear from you again.

Christof Grohs
10-14-2007, 9:07 AM
I agree with all of the above. This was my first time going to The Show and last time, an absolute waste of time and $15. The show website said Michael Fortune was teaching a bending class friday. Michael was nowhere to be found? Just a minor detail but the published info was from last year....they never even took the time to get the site updated with new class information:mad:

Rick Jeschke
10-14-2007, 3:30 PM
Went to the show this morning. All I can say is that I was very disappointed with the amount/quality of vendors. I do have to gloat a little though cause I picked up the 14" Steel City BS I have been looking at for a while. Bought the floor model for 10% off and got the $75 rebate. Out the door for $554 :D . Didn't think that was too bad. Other than that, it was a total waste.

Mike Heidrick
10-14-2007, 5:34 PM
I drove to the St. Louis Gateway show in Feb. Thought about going to Odeum but passed. I guess I do not go to the WWS looking for quality revolutionary vendors. AWFS is where that happens (or so I read - I have never been there). The internet spoils all the fun as I start reading about products the second I want to and do not have to wait for a show. The WWS is a good place to go see router bits in action and multiple fence or miter gauges in action. I also got try out the Veritas handplanes and Tucker vise at the last show earlier in the year. Still pretty fun. St louis allows us the chance to see the sister in law and other family friends.

Odeum charge for parking? Gateway center did not which was nice. When I pay to get in the shows I always want to get my entrance fee worth. Great deal on the SC Bandsaw - that would have made it worth it.

Michael Fross
10-15-2007, 7:10 PM
I agree with everyone. A very weak show. I always look forward to the Lie-Nielsen booth, but even they were not there this year.

So unless you are dying to talk to guy who is always there selling those aluminum welding supplies, you didn't miss anything.

The only bright side is I got to meet and hang out with fellow creeker Russ Massey. That was a blast.

I'm sure I'll end up there next year regardless at how poor this show was regardless what I told myself this year after the show.... :)

Michael

Jerry Olexa
10-15-2007, 8:30 PM
Agree. I have not attended the last 2 years due to the poor quality, representation there. You made a good decision to stay away...