PDA

View Full Version : Chicago WoodWorking Show

Heather Thompson
10-13-2007, 6:18 PM
I just got back from the WoodWorking show at the Odeum in Villa Park, what a waste of time. The only redeeming aspect of the show were the local clubs that were in attendance. The overall feeling was of a flea market, very disappointed and will not return next year. At least I got to park on the street a did not have to pay 6.00 for parking... :(

Mike Circo
10-15-2007, 10:04 AM
I kind of knew the show was in trouble when I got the mailer only 4 days before the show, it was sloppily done on cheap paper (rather than shiny stock like before) and the vendor list was a quarter of a page.

They screwed it up royally. $9 to get in, $7 to park (a major rip-off), then crowded and sloppy arrangements. Slowly people stopped going, which pinched them for money, causing them to make the show smaller, which led to fewer people. etc.etc.etc.

Now unless there is a major upgrade, that show is dead to me.

On the plus side... There is another show in Feburary in Schaumburg. Run by a different group, including Wood Magazine. It looks much better.

Heather Thompson
10-15-2007, 10:12 AM
I kind of knew the show was in trouble when I got the mailer only 4 days before the show, it was sloppily done on cheap paper (rather than shiny stock like before) and the vendor list was a quarter of a page.

They screwed it up royally. $9 to get in, $7 to park (a major rip-off), then crowded and sloppy arrangements. Slowly people stopped going, which pinched them for money, causing them to make the show smaller, which led to fewer people. etc.etc.etc.

Now unless there is a major upgrade, that show is dead to me.

On the plus side... There is another show in Feburary in Schaumburg. Run by a different group, including Wood Magazine. It looks much better.

Mike,

Do you have any details on the show in Feburary, maybe a website. My birthday is in Feburary and HWMBO likes to tag along with me when I go to the shows. Great opportunity to point out nice additions to the shop.

Heather :D

Mike Circo
10-15-2007, 11:04 AM
Heather,

I'm definately going. Some good seminars available.

For your use...

http://www.woodworksevents.com/

Mike

Heather Thompson
10-15-2007, 11:41 AM
Heather,

I'm definately going. Some good seminars available.

For your use...

http://www.woodworksevents.com/

Mike

Mike,

Thank you for the information, now this looks like a REAL wood working event. Guess I am going to have to block out all three days for this, the seminars and workshops look to be great, probably be coming home ever day with sawdust in unspeakable places. What seminars will you be looking at, or is it to early to decide? Thank you again for the information.

Heather

Dave Fifield
10-15-2007, 6:55 PM
AFAICT, a company called Straight Line Productions purchased The Woodworking Shows on September 4th and have been struggling to get their act together for the current season of shows. I say we should give them a chance to re-work the format and pricing etc. before dismissing them entirely.