PDA

View Full Version : Porter Cable Omnijig model 7216

Mike McCann
10-13-2007, 2:26 PM
I am looking to purchase the above omnijig. I am looking to make dovetails for draws and half dovetails. Will this do the job and then some. Also what would be a good price for this jig.

Cliff Rohrabacher
10-13-2007, 4:26 PM
I have an older one with the adjustable spacing guide and the fixed. I like it better than my Leigh D4.
The PC is bullet proof and a tad more straight forward but they are both fine . Interestingly I made a DT Key rig that I run on my slider and I like that better'n either the Leigh or the PC.

The PC would be the jig I'd recommend for small scale production runs.

they are about $400 new. Anything less is a deal so long as the previous owner didn't damage any of it.

I got a good deal on a used one that the previous owner had stripped out the threads for a hold down screw (for some reason he over torqued everything). It was an easy fix. But without the drills and taps it might have been an issue for me. So if you are buying used make sure you examine carefully.

Here is one that is currently being bid at $86 on Fleabay
110177491711http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/globalAssets/rtCurve.gifIt might go up to close to $400 by the time bidding is done.

frank shic
10-13-2007, 9:33 PM
mike, the most efficient use of the omnijig is in the construction of half-blind drawers. you can actually slap all four pieces in their and route half the joints in one pass. they show up on craigslist from time to time for around $200.

Suanne Lippman
10-14-2007, 12:11 AM
I owned one. It was marvelous for half blind; set it up and run all you want effortlessly. Okay for through.
But it was so darn bulky and heavy that I didn't use it all that much.
If you have a worktable you can dedicate to it that won't be a problem; I had to clear a space for it when I needed it and put it back on a shelf when I was done.
I bought it new about 3 years ago for $240 and sold it on eBay for $250 so I have no complaints.

I have a Leigh 18" Superjig on order.

frank shic
10-14-2007, 1:00 AM
suanne's right. the omnijig is built like a tank... and weighs like one! you can't even fit it normally in a cabinet to keep it out of SWMBO's sight!