PDA

View Full Version : Setting Up Shop...Electrical quick question!

matt halloran
10-13-2007, 10:28 AM
We just built a new home and I'm trying to start setting up shop in our garage....

I had a 240v line run from the main panel (200A) to the garage from the basement. They used a 60A breaker for this line at the main panel.

My question is can I have a smaller sub-panel in the garage that can run 4 or 5 breakers to it for tools? I'm looking at one of these...http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=214802-76863-TM1210CCUG1K&lpage=none

will this work as long as i don't overload the 60A breaker on the main?

Thanks for your help....

David G Baker
10-13-2007, 10:53 AM
Yup. I have several sub panels similar to what you are describing. When you wire the sub panel make sure that the ground bar and neutral are not bonded in the sub panel box. I like to have breakers for almost every large appliance or tool if possible.

Jim O'Dell
10-13-2007, 11:09 AM
Just make sure you get a box that has enough spots for the circuits you will be using. If possible, and there is capacity to cover it, have your lights on the existing panel from the main and just your tools on the sub panel. Plan out how many 110 circuits you want, and how many 220 circuits you will need. Plan for the future, it's cheaper in the long run. Go ahead and wire for your plans, even if you don't connect the wiring and just cap off the boxes where it terminates. Breakers and outlets can be easily added later, wiring not so easy if you are running it in the walls. Multiply your 220 circuits by 2, and add to the number of 110 circuits in your plan. Get a box that has a few more slots than this number.
In a one man shop, you'll probably never need more than the 60 amp capability unless you plan to heat and cool it, then it might become a problem. But with no more that 1 tool running at a time, even with a medium compressor and a DC, 60 should be more than adequate. Good luck. Remember, lots of outlets spaced around the gar...er...shop! Jim.

glenn bradley
10-13-2007, 12:12 PM
I feed my sub panel with a 50a. Used 6 gauge as a feeder between the main and sub. I'm a one man shop and so would run a DC and one larger tool at the same time, max. The folks that get into trouble are the ones who run two space heaters on 50 feet of extension cord, turn on their 3HP DC and fire up the 5HP TS. Also as a side note I have a separate run for most of the lights direct from the main. That way if the breaker ever does blow on the sub, I'm not in the dark.

matt halloran
10-13-2007, 12:26 PM
Man, Thanks guys. I just love coming here because everyone is so helpful!

That puts my mind at ease. I'll be sure to post some pics of the shop...er garage as soon as I'm finished!

Thanks again for everyone's helpful suggestions, I hadn't thought about the lights on a seperate circuit to the main, but that's a great tip!

Rick Christopherson
10-13-2007, 12:38 PM
... can I have a smaller sub-panel in the garage that can run 4 or 5 breakers to it for tools? I'm looking at one of these...http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=214802-76863-TM1210CCUG1K&lpage=none
The panel that you linked to is not smaller, but larger (100 amp). But yes, you can do this regardless whether it was larger or smaller because the breaker will protect the feeder wire. You may want to write on the subpanel 60 amp with permanent marker so that it is known in the future that the 100 amp breaker in the subpanel is not the current limiting breaker.

As was mentioned, make sure you remove the bonding screw between the neutral and ground buses in the subpanel. All of your neutrals should be connected to the neutral bus, and all of your grounds connect to the separate ground bus.