PDA

View Full Version : Transtint

Randy Denby
10-13-2007, 10:21 AM
I am getting ready to spray some "Transtint" brand dye onto some soft maple. What do ya'll recommend mixing transtint with? Alcohol ? If so, what brand is a good one? This is my first time with dye...so be gentle :)
Thanks

Jamie Buxton
10-13-2007, 10:44 AM
I've sprayed Transtint using generic denatured alcohol from Home Depot. It worked fine. I used an HVLP.

Tim Sproul
10-13-2007, 12:24 PM
My experience mirrors Jamie's. Denatured alcohol works fine - Kleanstrip is the brand I find at any store I've looked here in the SF Bay area.

IME, spraying alcohol dye requires more attention to get even coloration compared to water....water you can saturate and clean up any drips but alcohol will evaporate very rapidly and leave the dye where you sprayed it. As a side note....be sure you're wearing a respirator rated for organic solvents....denatured alcohol has 5% toxic solvents that you want to limit your exposure to. The 95% that is ethanol isn't a big problem.....:-).

Jamie Buxton
10-13-2007, 1:26 PM
One more thought.... With the spray, you'll deposit dye color particles on the wood. They don't bond strongly to the wood. You can wipe them off with your hand, so you must clearcoat over them. I spray a waterborne clearcoat, and I've found that the dye particles migrate somewhat into the clearcoat. Sand after the second clearcoat, and you'll see that the dust is somewhat dye-colored. If you're spraying the clearcoat, this isn't a problem, but just a surprise. I'm not sure what would happen if you brushed the clearcoat on, but I'd be sure to test it before I did it on a real piece.

Steve Schoene
10-13-2007, 4:57 PM
Just be aware that the Klean Strip SLX brand at Home Depot and Lowes is about 50% methanol so ensure that you ventilate well. There are still some brands out with small amounts of methane as the denaturant. Sunnyside, at TrueValue hardware stores appears to be one. You can find this out by looking at the MSDS that is on line for just about all brands.

Steve Schoene
10-13-2007, 6:14 PM
Dye has molecular level "particles". It's true they have no binder but most penetrate into the wood cells and don't rub off. (A little of the excess that has dried on the surface may rub off but that's not usually not much.) However, what you may be seeing when the first coat picks up color is the result of using a dye that dissolves in many solvents. TransTint for example can be mixed with alcohol, water, or oil. Consequently, the top coat solvent can redissolve some of the dye. A water only dye can be sealed more easily since the alcohol in shellac, or the oil based solvent in a varnish won't redissolve the dye so readily. Transtint's versatility may be best used as a toner since it will mix into many top coat finishes.

Randy Denby
10-13-2007, 7:37 PM
Wow...Thanks so much guys!! I'll post pics when done, that is, if it turns out ok :)....dont want to embarrass myself.

Jamie Buxton
10-13-2007, 8:43 PM
Dye has molecular level "particles". It's true they have no binder but most penetrate into the wood cells and don't rub off.

That was my expectation too. That's why I was surprised that it does rub off. Like I said, this isn't a problem, just a surprise.