PDA

View Full Version : I just wanted to paint the back porch.

Mike Cutler
10-13-2007, 8:40 AM
It started out just wanting to paint the back entryway to match a few projects that were going to be located there.
The original color was this hideous shade of yellow. Then we figured that we would like to redo the floor, also a hideous shade of yellow linoleum, to better match the wall color.
Ahh, but the floors in "this olde house" are not level. They bow along the length of the floor joists, and also bow along the sill plate that sits on a natural stone foundation. This foundation used to be dry stacked stand, but 6000lbs of mortar, portland cement, and kevlar weave have rectified that problem. Back to the floor though.
A layer of linoleum, a 1/4" ply layer, one layer of 3/4" tongue and groove heart pine, and a 3/4" hardwood subfloor. ( The subfloor and heart pine were original) had to removed. The flooring was removed, all of the joists were sistered with new 2x8's along the entire length, sill plate to header plate. The plumbing and electrical had to be temporarily moved/ removed to make way for the sistered boards. A new subfloor has been glued and screwed to the sistered boards ( I hate the smell of PL-400, and liquid nails.:eek: )
Oh yeah, just for fun the bathroom floor is part of the floor that needed to be leveled, so the entire bathroom had to be removed, gutted to the studs, and will have to be redone to achieve the floor leveling. My backyard looks like something out of Red Neck Homes and Hardens. A toilet, and sink, and all the construction debris stacked up all in a pile.
Now the ceiling had to be leveled. 2x6's running from sole plate to header plate have solved that problem. ( I still hate the smell of construction adhesive). The ceiling is part of the entryway though, so now I have to rip down all the ceiling in the entry way to make it level with the ceiling that will be part of the bathroom back entryway. I'll remove the drywall also, once again, it's an ugly color of yellow/green wall paper, on top of another ugly colored yellow wall paper. The previous owners were really into yellow, ugly yellow too.

I gotta admit that it's been fun, and a very rewarding project so far. The floor doesn't bounce any longer, the back door doesn't cause thing to rattle in the bathroom when closed. I'm installing fire/rodent stops ( ballon construction house). I'll reinsulate the walls, tile the bathroom, and build a custom shower. The original bathroom had ugly yellow floors and a really hideous, plastic, Harvest Gold Bath/ Shower Ensemble.

So let this be a lesson . Hire a painter next time. ;)

Where's Jason Roehl when ya' need him? :D

Jason Roehl
10-13-2007, 9:20 AM
I don't paint Porsches... :D

Per Swenson
10-13-2007, 10:18 AM
I feel for you.

Every working day I mutter #$#@&!! SUB PROJECT B!

Per

PS

While only getting paid for project A

Jim Becker
10-13-2007, 11:08 AM
Reminds me of the little water pipe leak in the wall of our powder room not long after we moved here...a complete gutting of the room and replacement of the lower 2' of the wall later...

Some projects in old houses turn out that way! LOL