PDA

View Full Version : First pen

Don Farr
02-05-2004, 7:13 PM
OK everyone, please be gentle. This is my first pen. The photo is awful, but it turned out OK..... I guess I should keep this one but all of the ones in the future will go to the freedom pens project.

Tyler Howell
02-05-2004, 7:18 PM
Real Nice Don, Proud to have you working on the Freedom Pen Project ;)

Julie Wright
02-05-2004, 7:33 PM
Very nice Don

Bill Chapman
02-05-2004, 8:03 PM
Don
Looks great is that Cocobola wood?

Stephen Lybeck
02-05-2004, 8:25 PM
OK everyone, please be gentle. This is my first pen. The photo is awful, but it turned out OK..... I guess I should keep this one but all of the ones in the future will go to the freedom pens project.
Don, The pen looks good. Is this your very first pen? If it is you should keep it.
Stephen Lybeck

Jerry Stringer
02-05-2004, 10:09 PM

Whaddya mean . . OK???? :confused:

It looks pretty good to me! I really like the swell in the bottom.

Jerry

Don Farr
02-06-2004, 2:23 AM
Yes, this is my very first attempt EVER at pen turning and yes the wood is Cocobola. Thanks so very much for the compliments. That means a lot to me. I found it much easier than bowl turning, if you get a little "catch" the blank just stops and spins on the mandrel. I really think I am going to enjoy this.
Tomorrow I am going to order a good supply of kits and get with the program.

Joel Shapiro
02-06-2004, 8:15 AM
Very nice pen, Don. Keep it, you'll be glad you did.

Joel

Scott Greaves
02-06-2004, 3:17 PM
Don!

That's a great pen! I can't believe it is your first one! I wish my first one looked even half that nice! :D

One thing that is hard to teach is symmetry and fluid lines. I would say you have that down! Good eye for shape. The flare really accentuates the pen, yet it isn't so large as to get in the way. Excellent!

Scott

Greg Heppeard
02-08-2004, 4:46 PM
Great job...I think I blew my first couple of pens out pretty bad...I'm just starting to turn myself. I did keep the first one of mine that came out in one piece. lol

John Miliunas
02-08-2004, 5:04 PM
Very well done, Don! I especially like the nice shape on the business end of the pen. Keep it up, you're doing GREAT! :cool:

Kent Cori
02-08-2004, 7:40 PM
Don,

The first one is always the hardest. After that, you don't feel the pain when you give 'em away. :cool:

Seriously, keep your first one and make a bunch more for the troops. I'm having a ball with this Fredom Pens thing. :D