PDA

View Full Version : Why did this happen? Perplexed

Larry Bratton
10-12-2007, 9:10 PM
Today, I had reason to cut a piece of 1/8" acrylic (24x36). I created 3 vertical lines first, that ran the full height of the piece-24". Then I created a horizontal line that ran the full length of the piece-36".

When I ran the job, the laser cut the first vertical line as normal, started at the top then cut all the way to the bottom. Then it advanced to the second vertical line at the top of the line. It then proceeds to cut about an inch or maybe two down the line, then stops and advances to the top of the next vertical line, cuts down about the same distance.. So, this goes on back and forth, until it reaches the horizontal line, it then proceeds to cut it all the way to the end. Then it returned to the vertical lines where it left off and continues with the same procedure to finish these lines.

Apparently this is not the first time it has done this either. I described this to my wife, who helps me some in the shop and helps me watch it when cutting, said she saw it do this yesterday on another piece. Since it cut OK she didn't make an issue of it.

Any ideas?:confused:

Joe Pelonio
10-12-2007, 10:11 PM
Whose artwork is it? This happens often when someone sends me a file created on a CAD program, where the lines are segmented with unconnected points.

Larry Bratton
10-12-2007, 11:08 PM
Whose artwork is it? This happens often when someone sends me a file created on a CAD program, where the lines are segmented with unconnected points.
Mine. Wasn't anything more than 4 lines created in Corel X3.

Rodne Gold
10-12-2007, 11:39 PM
Perhaps you have some sort of optimization turned on or not turned on in your driver , and thats causing it do to this? Endswap or cluster or something?

Larry Bratton
10-13-2007, 5:28 PM
Perhaps you have some sort of optimization turned on or not turned on in your driver , and thats causing it do to this? Endswap or cluster or something?
Rodne:
Not to my knowledge. It looks like it does this when I have intersecting lines. I even tried welding the lines and making one curve-still does it. I can work around it, of course, but what is the logic? My learned techs at Epilog may know the answer. Their is an option in the driver that turns on "Vector Sorting". I'll try a test with that unchecked. I have not a clue as to what that means, but I'm sure I will be enlightened shortly.