PDA

View Full Version : I call this my Portidor. Portable cigar box.

Bill Wyko
10-12-2007, 3:28 PM
This little box is for carrying my cigars if needed. It's made from figured walnut, maple, teak and spanish cedar. I built it on my hinge crafter one afternoon for a quick project. Please feel free to comment. Thanks.

glenn bradley
10-12-2007, 3:33 PM
That looks like it was fun. What a great conversation piece . . AND it holds cigars to boot.

Richard Alexander
10-12-2007, 5:08 PM
Nice piece of work there. I just picked up an issue of Woodsmith today that had a question about Spanish Cedar and cigars. I guess the oil can be an issue when finishing.

Bill Wyko
10-12-2007, 5:25 PM
No oil and no finish on the Cedar. I sprayed it with laquer. But I am building a fairly large humidor right now that I was considering finishing the outside with tung oil and minwax. What did they say in regaurds to the oil if you don't mind my asking?

Gary Herrmann
10-12-2007, 5:47 PM
Thats cool, Bill. I keep thinking about one of those hinge jigs.

Bill Wyko
10-12-2007, 6:23 PM
They are neat but watch your fingers on the router table. Avoid pull cuts. I nipped the tip of my finger off. Fortunately it grew back. It wasn't the routers fault, it was mine. I would not use a spiral bit either. It causes a erratic chatter and can be difficult to have a smooth feed. As far as the jig goes, it's a breeze to use. Little tip though, constantly remove debris from the drill bit or it can swell and break the hinge.

Jim Becker
10-12-2007, 9:57 PM
Very nice, Bill...I'm not into the "sport", but do appreciate the excellent woodwork!

Richard Alexander
10-13-2007, 7:23 PM
No oil and no finish on the Cedar. I sprayed it with laquer. But I am building a fairly large humidor right now that I was considering finishing the outside with tung oil and minwax. What did they say in regaurds to the oil if you don't mind my asking?

They mention that it ages well with no finish. They also recommend using tung oil or linseed oil for the outside. These apparently mix well with the natural oil. They don't recommend any finish that seals the wood since it also would seal in the scent.

A couple of other things that may be of interest to you... Use laquer-coated brass or stainless steel hardware since they won't be affected by the natural oils. You can use acetone to clean the oils from the wood to allow for a good glue up or to remove excess oil that may reappear later.
(from Woodsmith Vol. 29/ No. 173.)

Be sure to share a picture when you get your humidor completed. I never get tired of seeing different kinds of boxes.

Richard

Scott Thornton
10-14-2007, 9:30 PM
That is really nice. You could make those and sell them, very unique cigar case.