PDA

View Full Version : Ohio turners

terry miller
10-12-2007, 2:41 PM
Ok so I know that I have seen people on here from Ohio. I just accepted a job in Wilmington, Oh and wanted to see how many turning neighbors I was going to have.

Tom Keen
10-12-2007, 2:57 PM
Wilmington..oh my. They passed a ordinance in in Clinton County banning the use of power tools unless you are a contractor with a building permit. Noise, dust, children falling into power saws etc etc. Most of wood workers moved out of town, a few stuck it out and switched to making pottery or weaving chair seats.

Hope its a great job!

:) Tom
about 30 miles north

terry miller
10-12-2007, 4:42 PM
Tom you are joking correct. I have not decided were I want to live yet anyhow but if that is the case it wont be Clinton county.

Ron Coleman
10-12-2007, 6:31 PM
Plenty of woodturners in the area Terry.

I'm in Columbus and the local club is

http://www.centralohiowoodturners.org/pageHome/home.php

Southwest Ohio is covered by

http://www.ovwg.org/

Ron

Tom Keen
10-12-2007, 9:11 PM
just joking..didnt mean to worry you :) They like wood in Clinton County.. you will find lots of support in the Cinci and Dayton wood turning clubs. We have 70 acres of woods and can help you get going with a nice supply of cherry and walnut.

Best,
Tom

Jon Lanier
10-13-2007, 1:02 AM
Terry,

I'm in Xenia, Ohio, about 20-25 minutes away. I'm an old newbie with turning. Wanting to add turning to my kids repertoire of wood experiences.

tim mathis
10-14-2007, 8:55 PM
hi terry,
welcome to ohio you are going to love it here.
tim in centerville, ohio

Chris Rolke
10-15-2007, 7:00 AM
i am down by cincinnati (actually in loveland 20 miles northeast of cincinnati)

ovwg meets over off of i-75 so it would be a minor haul

columbus has a turing group as well so you would be able to go to either

Sam Starr
10-15-2007, 8:46 AM
im in the north east we get a little snow here but that makes for a great day in the wood shop:D

terry miller
10-15-2007, 9:52 AM
Thanks for the input guys it will probably be a while before I get to enjoy hobbies with the move and honey do's. I am fairly familiar with Ohio I grew up in the Mt. Vernon area and still have alot of family in that area. It will be nice to finally return home after being away with the Navy for so long.