PDA

View Full Version : Quick project for favored daughter (pics)

Jerry Olexa
10-12-2007, 2:15 PM
Received a strong hint a week ago that my daughter needed bookcases and a place to house her TV in her new townhouse. She had been looking in Pottery Barn, etc when I got involved (Looking at retails versus what I could build it for)..She wanted deep (15" or better) shelves and wanted it flat black. Plywood and paint seemed the obvious choice which I hadn't worked with in 5-6 years. So, this was a quickie project built in 3-4 days. The priming and painting took longer. Black required 2-3 coats over the tinted primer. So, not a work of art or my favorite method but here it is (was). Truck picks it up today..She'll touch up missed spots in new location..

frank shic
10-12-2007, 2:35 PM
very nice, jerry! did you brush or spray on the paint?

Jerry Olexa
10-12-2007, 11:00 PM
I brushed. Difficult working with black to get even color/coating. Spraying would have been better..But time was of essence. I'd spray next time..

frank shic
10-12-2007, 11:32 PM
ugh, jerry... i've done that before!

Jason Tuinstra
10-13-2007, 9:50 AM
You're quite the dad to have those punched out so quickly. I'm sure your daughter loves them and the time frame in which she got them. I don't think P.B. fills orders that quickly. Great job.

frank shic
10-13-2007, 10:06 AM
not to mention the superiority of the materials and construction. now if i could only finish stuff as nicely as them!

Jim Becker
10-13-2007, 11:27 AM
Very nice, Jerry!!

Rich Torino
10-13-2007, 7:51 PM
they look just great Jerry.... I can't seem to turn any project around in 4 days....

Jerry Olexa
10-14-2007, 11:45 AM
Thanks for your comments. I don't usually finish a project this quickly. I had to meet the move in date and rental truck, etc. Most of my regular furniture projects take months.
I built this in the garage to handle the big sheets. I used grooves and pocket screws for the carcass etc. The only real hold up was gluing time. It came together quickly but still had to go the downstairs shop to do the precision miters, etc and brought up the compressor and nail gun.. But then, the painting. I do most of my other projects w walnut, cherry, maple, etc anf finish with oil, shellac and occassional varnish topcoat. I have no spray equipment but this project sure pointed out the need. But then that would require a spray booth. Oh well.
Thanks for your praise on the speed but to put me back in the real world, I'm now almost done with a cherry rolling tool cabinet for the shop that has been underway for over 3 months w lots of interruptions. This afternoon, I'm going over to my daughters to install dimmer switches and will see the bookcase unit in place probably already full of books. Thanks to all.

Al Killian
10-14-2007, 12:21 PM
It takes me four days just find all the materail for a job. Looks good and i'm sure she will plenty of use out of them.

Jerry Olexa
10-27-2007, 2:10 PM
My daughter sent me a couple pics of the down n dirty bookcase project now full of books. Looks better now. Covers up my sins.

Richard Wagner
10-27-2007, 3:05 PM
You have no need to apologize. They look great. Many of my well thought out and time consuming projects wouldn't hold a candle.
Be Proud.