PDA

View Full Version : Got a metal question

Bobby Perry
10-12-2007, 11:47 AM
I know some of you have made your own turning tools. I would like to try to make me a couple of skews. What kind of stainless steel should I get? 304, 305, or m-2 or what?

Harvey M. Taylor
10-12-2007, 12:18 PM
Not stainless steel. High speed steel, preferably m2, asp2030 or asp2060.The 2060 being the best and long lasting.There are lots of others. There is one that has been frozen down to a ridiculously low degree below 32degrees. Are you confused yet? Max

Bobby Perry
10-12-2007, 1:01 PM
Yes but don't worry I get confused pretty easy :D Which would be better?

Paul Engle
10-12-2007, 1:47 PM
Any of the powdered metalurgy would be choice if $ not a problem. The ASP lines have great wearability and the edge will hold longer and they are tougher . here's a web site that will discuss the tool steel industry and give you some idea behind each type of ts.There are others, read up on the stuff and then look for a supplier in your area to buy specific ts's. You can also get a quote from them ( Diehl Steel) to compare to your locale tool dist( machine tooling not table saw sander etc) If there is an OXARC in the area they carry machine shop supplies in some locations.
http://www.diehlsteel.com/

Bobby Perry
10-12-2007, 5:35 PM
There is a place in Galveston that sells flat steel and some of the weidest pipes I have ever seen.These pipes will be 3 ft in dia with a hole 2 inches in dia. I was told they are extremely high pressure pipes. They have all kinds of steel. I will check with them Monday, and see what they got and what its going to cost for a couple of pieces.

Rex Guinn
10-12-2007, 5:38 PM
Bobby;
I just made 3 from1/2" dia. A2 tool steel, got it for free and a friend is going to heat treat it for me. will see how they work out.

Paul Engle
10-12-2007, 10:49 PM
Texas oil drilling rod ( pipe ) would make super roughing gouge , is hard and tough and grinds fairly easy. wish there was some up here in Idaho....
I got some boiler tube but is pretty small dia and might make a mini roughing gouge, if you can find some boiler plate that stuff pretty tough also think it is along the line of D2 used for die stamping ( coins etc) any mints in area and you might get some cast off's .