PDA

View Full Version : Mini/Midi Lathes question(s)

Anchor Sarslow
10-12-2007, 10:44 AM
I have been reading in SMC and at other places about the small lathes. I have not heard anything outrageously bad about any of them except one is a little more inconvenient than another. SO are we mostly just comparing a few add ons against price?

Is one really that much different than another?

Is this more of a popularity contest than actual fit, finish and usefulness?

Anchor

Ben Gastfriend
10-12-2007, 11:02 AM
I own one from Penn State and am very happy with it for the things I make (pens and small bowls etc.). I think that some out there (the Jet) have a little bit more power, but they all perform the same basic tasks. The PSI one lacks some of the "chromed" details of others and I did have one problem with the live center wobbling. But all in all, they all seem pretty equal.

Nancy Laird
10-12-2007, 11:11 AM
Anchor,

Mini-lathes are just the thing for newbie turners to learn on, with small bonkers, pens, bottle stoppers, small bowls. And that addiction often leads to the "forced" acquisition of a large lathe (right, Ken?;) ).

All minis are not created equal, but they also aren't as unequal as one might think. They all have a headstock, tailstock, bed, etc. Some are variable-speed, which means that the speeds can be varied while it is spinning by means of a potentiometer knob. Others are multiple speed, but require manual moving of the belt(s) with the lathe off.

Among the manufacturers of minis are Jet, Rikon, Woodtek, Steel City, and some other brands that escape me now. The Jet VS seems to be very popular among the pen-turning crowd; however, I saw two of them burn out in one day -- one with headstock bearings, one with motor. I've seen some complaints here and on other forums about the Rikons, although they also have their cheerleaders. I personally have a 6-speed Woodtek which I like, but I have also--just this week--received a Steel City VS mini (small gloat), which hasn't even gotten dirty yet.

I'd have to say that the mini community and the entrants into it "sort of" choose their minis on the basis of popularity, recommendation, and price. They will all do the job and all seem pretty equal.

One thing you want to make sure of if and when you buy a mini - or any lathe - is that the headstock and tailstock line up exactly. If they don't, you're opening yourself up for a peck of problems.

Just my 1.98.

Nancy (70 days)

Brodie Brickey
10-12-2007, 12:03 PM
Anchor,

I've learned on the Jet Mini (non VS) and now own a PM & a Jet Mini (VS). Comparing these two minis, I don't think I'd bother with the VS. If I had it to do again, I'd get the regular Jet.

Neal Addy
10-12-2007, 12:55 PM
Pride-of-ownership probably accounts for most of the cheerleading you'll see. Nothing wrong with that if folks are happy with what they have. I'm probably guilty of that myself but I still totally agree with Nancy. They all make the wood go around.

I'm a fan of the Jet simply because it does have a long track record for good quality build. That doesn't mean there aren't lemons out there. But PSI, Woodtek, Rikon, Delta and others make perfectly good lathes.

As long as you go with one of the trusted brands you can't go too wrong. There are certain cheap lathes I WOULDN'T recommend, simply because the manufacturers know nothing about turning and their products show it. Any lathe (for example) made mostly of tin or with a low speed around 1100 RPM should be avoided.

Steven Wilson
10-12-2007, 3:41 PM
I had the Delta mini (now use a Oneway 2436) and our woodturning club has a bunch of Jet mini's. Both are fine, but the Jet's have shown that they are good out of the box and 5 years later after having been repeatedly pushed to their limits. The Jet has proven itself to be a very robust, small lathe at a decent price point from a company with decent service. Buying one is really a no brainier. Is the Jet the best mini lathe? Probably not, I would put the discontinued Oneway 1018 and the Vicmark 100 in the best category, but the Jet is the standard by which the others are judged and it’s a very well made machine.

Neal Addy
10-12-2007, 3:51 PM
Your Jet mini grew into a 2436???

If you need me I'll be out in the shop watching mine for signs of growth. :D