PDA

View Full Version : which finish

Larry Ball
02-05-2004, 5:32 PM
I recently purchased a 1940's vintage door two wood panel, two long pane glass, I just finished stripping and sanding to bare wood. My next step is to replace the bead moulding around the glass. The door looks to be made of FIR or a soft wood like FIR. I would like to finish the door in a material that would bring the grain out but nothing glossy. This door will be used inside although it was meant to use as a outer entry door.
any ideas :confused:
Regards,
Larry :rolleyes:

Dennis Peacock
02-05-2004, 6:01 PM
I recently purchased a 1940's vintage door two wood panel, two long pane glass, I just finished stripping and sanding to bare wood. My next step is to replace the bead moulding around the glass. The door looks to be made of FIR or a soft wood like FIR. I would like to finish the door in a material that would bring the grain out but nothing glossy. This door will be used inside although it was meant to use as a outer entry door.
any ideas :confused:
Regards,
Larry :rolleyes:

Hey Larry,

You can use a 50/50 mix of tung oil and mineral spirits or Boiled Linseed Oil and Mineral Spirits to "pop" the grain....let either of them dry for 24 hours in a temp above 55 degrees and then coat with your favorite clear coat. Poly or Lacquer would hold up well being a door and seeing some normal use.

Chris Padilla
02-05-2004, 6:13 PM
I am in love with Velvit Oil myself (www.velvitoil.com (http://www.velvitoil.com)) and what is nice about it is that its sheen is strictly dependent on how fine a grit you sand to and how fine a grit you wet sand to--if you decide to wet sand at all. Hand-rubbed finishes or Keith Outten's famous ROS-rubbed finish work well with VO (do a search on 'hand-rubbed finish').

I put some Natural VO on straight-grained fir as a test piece and while it wasn't what LOML was looking for, it turn out nice. If I can remember (and I probably won't) I'll try and find that piece and take a few pictures of it.

Todd Burch
02-05-2004, 6:40 PM
Larry, welcome to the 'creek! And, you're from Katy too! That makes at least 3 of us!

I would go with boiled linseed oil (since that is what I have on hand!). It will enhance the patina that the wood already has. A brushed varnish top coat (2 or 3) after that would be a good topcoat. I prefer Pratt & Lambert #38. (Available from Murphy Bros, near Kirby & Bissonnet, Houston).