PDA

View Full Version : Sears 17" DP on Sale! $180

Russ Filtz
10-12-2007, 7:30 AM
Not sure if these are any good, but the price might work for someone! On sale til tomorrow, 10/13. List $530 - on sale for $180!

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00922901000P?vName=Tools&cName=Bench+Power+Tools&sName=Drill+Presses&sid=I0084400010000100312&aff=Y

Matt Meiser
10-12-2007, 7:59 AM
WOW!!! This sounds too good to be true, but maybe they are clearing them out? You can pick up locally too--both Sears stores near me have them available for pickup. Had this sale happened when I was buy a DP, I'd probably have this one instead of the Steel City. I actually looked at it, but even at the sale price at the time ($479 I think) it wasn't enough less to stay on my list.

Ron Hedrick
10-12-2007, 8:14 AM
Thank you Russ!! I have already ordered mine online and will pick it up on my way home from work. Will this be considered a gloat?

Al Willits
10-12-2007, 8:17 AM
Considering I've been looking for a floor DP, I called Beasty about it and she said "what are ya waiting for, order it and we'll pick it up tonight"
Beatsy must have missed her drugs or something...:D

Thanks I'll order one right after this post.

Al

Andrew Chavchich
10-12-2007, 8:48 AM
Russ,
thank you very much.
Took me 2.5 sec to make a decision before ordering one.
Does anyone need mine old junky beaten up DP?:)

Alex Berkovsky
10-12-2007, 8:50 AM
Russ,
Thanks for the heads-up. Just placed an order. I don't even have the space in the garage anymore - may have to go in the basement.

Chuck Lenz
10-12-2007, 9:02 AM
At that price I just couldn't resist it. I just ordered one for pickup. I know what I'll be doing today. Thanks Russ.

Rob Diz
10-12-2007, 9:37 AM
Is it feasible to put a 17 DP on a mobile base?

I have a small shop, but I recently realized that the quill travel on my 10 dp just wasn't enough.

I don't really have room for this DP, so I would have to put it on a mobile base.

thoughts?

Matt Meiser
10-12-2007, 9:40 AM
Rob, it can be done, but I would worry about such a top heavy tool when moving it around. Even a bandsaw on a mobile base can get tippy in my experience.

Scott Coffelt
10-12-2007, 9:51 AM
I have mine on a mobile base. I got one of the smaller bases and then bolted a piece of 3/4 ply too it and then attached the DP onto the plywood. I make sure it is not raised when I am using the DP and have had no issues. When I move it, I just make sure to take it slow. The base is one of the shop fox type, it has four wheels, not the 3 wheel kind.

Greg Pavlov
10-12-2007, 10:05 AM
Thanks, Russ, perfect timing for me!

Chuck Lenz
10-12-2007, 10:06 AM
I recently put a drill press on a adjustable size mobile base. I put the raiseing mechanism towards the front of the machine, the problem is that the motor hangs off the back of the drill press makeing it a bit back heavy. When I raise the front to move the press around it's about ready to tip over. If I was to put it on another mobile base I would recomend a mobile base that doesn't lift, one that has a swivel in the front and wheel locks in the back like some HTC bases. Even then a guy would have to be very careful when wheeling it around. I only use the base to pull the press away from the wall about a foot, I don't go far with it.

Russ Filtz
10-12-2007, 10:09 AM
I think Sears needs to give me a commission! Glad to help. Hope all the orders go through. I got this off of the fatwallet shopping site. They've been known to ransack stores and cause things to go out of stock in record times!

Gil Liu
10-12-2007, 10:30 AM
I got one too.

Gil

JayStPeter
10-12-2007, 10:59 AM
I ordered one earlier this morning after a buddy sent me an email about it. It's not supposed to be in the store for 23 days ... so hopefully I'll actually get it. Man, that website was painful to order from. I guess all the SMCers are clogging it up with DP orders.;)
There are 3 of us here at work with orders in.

Jay

Trent Flemming
10-12-2007, 11:02 AM
Hi Russ,

Sears just called to tell me mine is ready for pickup. It may not be a Powermatic, but the price and timing where perfect. Thanks man you rock!

Trent

John Karam
10-12-2007, 11:39 AM
Anyone know how this compares to the Jet DP model# 354166 quality-wise? I was planning on getting that one, its $400 though.

Lou Morrissette
10-12-2007, 12:01 PM
Realy tempting but a few questions for anybody who has actualy seen this thing. Does it have a crank-up table or is it loosen and drop like the old Delta I have? I can't tell from the photo. Is the speed changed by different pullies? Has anybody used a keyless chuck on a drill press and how well does it hold?
TIA

Lou

Tim Mummert
10-12-2007, 12:02 PM
Thanks Russ!

Mine won't be in for three weeks.....the price you pay for living in the sticks.

Dan Lee
10-12-2007, 12:07 PM
Thanks for that.
I didn't buy one but my nephew did last weekend. I told him about this thread and he just got off the phone with Sears and they credited him $300.

BOB OLINGER
10-12-2007, 12:12 PM
Russ,

A big personal thanks. I tried to order online but had a little difficulty with the website. So, I called the closest store, but they had $479 on same. So, back to the website - I finally got it figured out, my order is in for store pick-up (the store is currently out). But, I have my written Sears confirmation so should be set. This is an unbelievable price.

Bob O.

Ron Griffiths
10-12-2007, 1:15 PM
I just ordered mine. Have Delta 20 on order but is will be going on a year soon and this is too good to pass up.

Mike McCann
10-12-2007, 1:23 PM
Just got mine home. Thanks. Boy are they heavy!!!

JayStPeter
10-12-2007, 1:24 PM
Realy tempting but a few questions for anybody who has actualy seen this thing. Does it have a crank-up table or is it loosen and drop like the old Delta I have? I can't tell from the photo. Is the speed changed by different pullies? Has anybody used a keyless chuck on a drill press and how well does it hold?
TIA

Lou

I've seen it and had it on my list of possibilities for a while. I played with it in the store and it seemed pretty nice. I honestly can't remember the table mechanism, so I assume it's a crank up as I would probably remember otherwise. Speed changes are via belts on pullies. I thought it was pricey for what it is and have never seen it at a price I was tempted by before.
IIRC, the height adjust mechanism is pretty nice and the lever is an easily repositionable single handle instead of a three handle thing like most. I thought that was a good idea to keep fences from making me remove the handles when they got in the way.

Bill Karow
10-12-2007, 1:44 PM
I haven't posted here in a while, as I've been ridiculously busy wrangling my 8 month old son. So I show up today and find this incredible bargain. Thanks! Mine is on order as we speak.

This place rocks. I should know better than to stay away :D

As soon as I can spare a few minutes, I'm going to need to start a thread seeking advice on how (and when) to involve kids in woodworking! If Chase is going to be smelling sawdust, he might as well learn how to make it as soon as he's big enough.

Nathan Conner
10-12-2007, 1:50 PM
Yeah, thanks a lot, man! Too good a deal to pass up, and the little 9" Ryobi I have has been sucking wind for years.

Great deal! (Let's hope it shows up!)

Rob Bodenschatz
10-12-2007, 2:02 PM
Put me on the list.

Anyone want to buy a Delta Benchtop drill press?

Deck Reagan
10-12-2007, 2:10 PM
I ordered one as well. I find it very odd that the 12" bench top is on SALE for $179 and the 15" is on SALE for $329. And then you have this 17" on SALE for $179!

I won't argure.

Deck

Kris Koenig
10-12-2007, 2:12 PM
Yeah, thanks a lot, man! Too good a deal to pass up, and the little 9" Ryobi I have has been sucking wind for years.

Great deal! (Let's hope it shows up!)

Yeah, I will be stepping up from my little Ryobi, too. I didn't even have to argue too hard to the Financial Committee.

So, what to do with the Ryobi now? Seems like I saw someone turn it into a sharpening station. Hmmm.

Kris

Nathan Conner
10-12-2007, 2:15 PM
I think mine will turn into a $20 Craigslist special.

Or maybe I'll spray it with saltwater and make an "antiqued" yard ornament out of it?

mark page
10-12-2007, 2:17 PM
Sounds like a heck of a black friday sale without waiting in lines or the stampede!!!!!

Mike Spanbauer
10-12-2007, 2:43 PM
Ordered one for pickup, saw this at slickdeals. However, I've also heard that someone found out via the phone that this is a pricing mistake and the web messed up. It's supposed to be $50 off and be $479.

Regardless, I'll be picking mine up this afternoon :)

Now, where to put this beauty :)

mike

John Karam
10-12-2007, 2:59 PM
SO I just went to sears and talked to a guy there. They had it on sale for $479 but I mentioned the sears.com price to him. He told me it was a mistake and that yesterday the registers were corrected to say the true price of $479 (previously had said $180). However, since the price was still up on the website he said he would honor it (This is because HE works on commission), all it took was manager approval. He also mentioned that the error could be fixed at any moment.

It is now sitting in my garage waiting until my shop is finished being built.

THANKS FOR THE HEADS UP! I really appreciate it

Robert Mayer
10-12-2007, 3:06 PM
I ordered mine about 4 hours ago and still have not got a confirmation. I called the 800 # and they said they were waiting for the CC approval, which is a bunch of crap.

So here I sit and wait for my approval to pick up...

Rick Levine
10-12-2007, 3:10 PM
A friend of mine went to the store and was told that it was an error on the website but he had a printout of the add and they had to honor it. Be sure to print out a copy of the page just for proof.

Robert Mayer
10-12-2007, 3:13 PM
A friend of mine went to the store and was told that it was an error on the website but he had a printout of the add and they had to honor it. Be sure to print out a copy of the page just for proof.

You would think it wouldnt take them all day to correct such a huge error. Im trying to call their 800 # and its not wanting to work now. ARGH!

Mike McCann
10-12-2007, 3:20 PM
The store I went and picked mine up at had on the floor the sale listed as reg 549 sale price 179 so it is not just the computers it is on the sales floor also.

Bob Malone
10-12-2007, 3:27 PM
Thank you RUSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been considering a new DP since my older Delta gave up the ghost. The options were varied but I had seriously looked at the SC - then your tip came through. The guy at Sears was stunned when I quoted the model and price because the till price said $479 and he could not believe my words until he went on line and saw the price. Got one with my name on it waiting for pickup!

This one tip has paid for my internet subscription for many years!!!!

Again thanks so much and have a great weekend!

Bob

John Hain
10-12-2007, 3:30 PM
Just ordered one as well. Going to pick it up soon.

Ralph Wiggum
10-12-2007, 3:31 PM
I went by my local Sears, they had the display priced at $179, and the dates on the sale said it ran through the 20th. I had the clerk check stock, and she told me they were out of them, but would order it. When I told her to order one for me the price came up as $499. So she had to do a over ride to sell it to me at the $179 price. Not supposed to be in until the end of November, sure hope I actually get it.

Robert Mayer
10-12-2007, 3:36 PM
I just got off the phone (again) with sears. They said it usually takes 24 hours for an order to go through and ill have to wait longer. BS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Al Willits
10-12-2007, 3:47 PM
""""""""
I ordered mine about 4 hours ago and still have not got a confirmation. I called the 800 # and they said they were waiting for the CC approval, which is a bunch of crap.

So here I sit and wait for my approval to pick up...
"""""""""

Same here, I called and its (the order) has been sent to the store I picked for pick up, I haven't got my email conformation yet, but the gal on the 800 cust serv number says its a done deal....sure hope so.

Al

Lou Morrissette
10-12-2007, 4:00 PM
I ordered one for pickup about two hours ago. No pickup email yet. I did get an order confirmation and order number so I figure I'm ok.

Lou

BOB OLINGER
10-12-2007, 4:45 PM
I got my confirmation no., but haven't received my pick-up email. I printed a copy of offer and confirmation. Since it's not in at the closest Sears store, I called one accross town. The salesman in the hardware department said he had one in stock, would sell it at the $479 but not at $199, saying there was evidently a computer error and he couldn't sell that low. So, I trust they will honor their website ad and the written confirmation - or there is going to be several disturbed SMC's.

bob o.

Lou Morrissette
10-12-2007, 4:59 PM
No email yet. I checked the site to make a copy of the adv and a screen came up to say the item is no longer available. I guess the deal is over.:mad:

Dave Lehnert
10-12-2007, 5:02 PM
Before everyone gets worked up I am sure this was a mistake and if some stores honor it than go for it But I would not push the issue to the point of getting so upset. I have worked in retail a long time and have seen a few people (employees) get fired for such a mistake. Is a good deal worth someone losing their job they may have had for 20 years?? Like I said if they honor it at the point of sale, GREAT!!!

George Carion
10-12-2007, 5:02 PM
Looks like this was a mistake and the drill press has been removed from the Sears web site. I shoulda jumped on it earlier!

Greg Muller
10-12-2007, 5:06 PM
Wow, couldn't pass it up. My local store has it in stock, and I just ordered one for pick up.

Anyone want to buy a good benchtop unit around the Kansas City area?:D

Anthony Anderson
10-12-2007, 5:17 PM
Just returned from my local Sears store. It is a misprint. Oddly though, they knew about the misprint this morning, and they still had the sale price displayed at $179. I went to the sales desk and told the salesman that I wanted one, he told me it was a pricing error. I ordered online and haven't received the pick up order yet.

Now another odd thing, about how I was treated in the same store yesterday. I went to return a ratcheting copper tubing/pipe cutter that I had bought for a project on July 9th. The tool was unused, and the package was unopened and perfect as the day I purchased it, IOW they could put it on the shelf again and resell it. I DID have my reciept also. I was 4 days past the return policy deadline. AFter trying to talk sense into the cashier, I asked to speak to the store manager. The assistant store manager told me they cannot give me a refund..."company policy". Okay no problem, a store credit is fine, I say. "NO...I cannot do that either, it is 4 days past the return date and the register/computer will not let her issue a return of any kind, company policy", she tells me. I go through the whole, "I have been a good customer for many years..." nope that didn't help either. I asked why she would make a customer dissatisfied when I was being completely upfront, I had my reciept, I have been a long time customer of Sears, and that it would make sense, as the item was unused and unopened, to do a manual/manager over ride and just issue a store credit/gift card. "No I cannot do that IT IS COMPANY POLICY" I ask then to speak to the store manager, "I am the store manager". I finally get it out of her that she is not in fact the store manager, and I am informed that I will have to come back tomorrow (today) and speak to the store manager. I return today to speak to the manager, to return the item and pick up my drill press. I returned the item, as the cahier today knew more about how to issue an in store credit than the assistant manager that argued with me yesterday. The moral, if the company policy, is to strictly follow company policy, and forget about the customer or their satisfaction, then shouldn't they be made to honor the deal on the drill press? I didn't pursue the matter though, I was pretty much fed up. I was very polite with the salespeople that I spoke to, but it is very frustrating. Good Luck to all, hope you get your drill press.

Chuck Lenz
10-12-2007, 5:20 PM
I picked mine up a couple hours ago, and now it's all put together. I ordered it online and chose to pick it up myself. Instead of calling a salesman at the store, I called merchandise pickup in the warehouse after I ordered it to make sure they had one on stock as soon as the store opened. He found one and I was there in 30 minutes. When I put it together I noticed the switch box was broke, only one screw holding it on, and 2 set screws were missing for the quill handle. I called the guy back in recieveing and he said he would order me a new switch box and set screws, and they should be delivered to my door aproximatly by this comeing wednesday. I went to the local hardware store and bought 2 set screws just to get me by till then. Other than that I'm happy as a lark. From what I can tell it's very close to the Steel City drill press , plus it has a laser and the quil handle is a nicer setup. It's a nice upgrade from the AMT 13" drill press I have which I'll probably keep for a spindle sander because it oscilates.

Mickey Finn
10-12-2007, 5:28 PM
ARGGGGHHHH!!!!!!!

Read this post this AM, stewed about it all day long, finally had an adult beverage or two after work and said "WTH, go for it... I really don't need a DP, but heck, $180 for a mega DP, I can't go wrong!"

True 'nuff, but I just was reminded that I'll go wrong every time for waiting too long to pull the trigger. Rats. Shoulda had a Bloody Mary this morning instead of coffee. :D

That said, I'll bet there's a few folks in Sears' internet dept that caught holy h.ell for that one...

Keep an eye out for the Bandsaw mistake-sale and let me know, OK? :D

David G Baker
10-12-2007, 5:34 PM
I went looking for the drill press and could not locate it on the Sears site, the site posted by Russ or Sears Ebay site. Can someone direct me to the area of Sears where I can order the DP.

Robert Mayer
10-12-2007, 5:36 PM
Mistake or not, its complete B******* that it took them ALL DAY to fix the "pricing error". Bait and switch my friends.

Im going over there tommorrow and see what I can work out. If not im not going to buy from them again. Its stupid that it took them all day to at least have the decency to cancel my order.

Cary Falk
10-12-2007, 5:37 PM
I have not recieved my e-mail yet after ordering it at 8am. I went to the store and they said they can't do anything till i get the confirmation e-mail. They would not honor the price on the internet even though it was still up at the time I went in. A big YOU SUCK to everyone who got theirs. I was at the Clackmas store in Portland, OR for anyone that was curious.

Darren Ford
10-12-2007, 5:40 PM
I don't want to beat a dead horse, but I am on day 39 of a nightmare with Sears.

Robert, like you, I had an online order delayed (gladiator garage cabinets) because they had to manually verify the CC. That was on Sept 3rd. On Sept 5th, my card was charged $1098 12 times. My CC company suspected fraud and placed my account on hold. Every single day I was promised a credit. 2 weeks of calls to Sears customer service and 2 trips to the store finally got me a canceled order and another promise of credit. I still called every day to make sure the order was canceled and my credit was being processed. Each day I was told the same thing, that the note to cancel was in place, but it took 24 hours for the status to change and the credit to process.

One week after that I was charged again, this makes the 13th time. That was Sept 20th. To this day I still don't have a credit, and I have now been told by 2 supervisors that due to a computer glitch they cannot process credits, I will get mine when I get it, and not to call back.

Throughout this ordeal I have never once received any email or callback from them when promised. You guys are playing with fire when you order from Sears.com. This problem with their system, and their entire customer service infrastructure is much bigger than any of us. I'm telling you, its virtually impossible. Thank goodness my CC company is on my side so far.

Yuchol Kim
10-12-2007, 5:54 PM
I get an error message. ;~(

Heather Thompson
10-12-2007, 6:07 PM
Just ordered one, no confirmation yet, but have my order confirmation number in hand. Will be putting this up for sale once I receive the tool, I have a nice drill press already, if I can make some cash for other tools all the better.

Heather

Ryan Lipski
10-12-2007, 6:14 PM
Woo hoo! Got mine! Thanks!

Robert Mayer
10-12-2007, 6:26 PM
I don't want to beat a dead horse, but I am on day 39 of a nightmare with Sears.

Robert, like you, I had an online order delayed (gladiator garage cabinets) because they had to manually verify the CC. That was on Sept 3rd. On Sept 5th, my card was charged $1098 12 times. My CC company suspected fraud and placed my account on hold. Every single day I was promised a credit. 2 weeks of calls to Sears customer service and 2 trips to the store finally got me a canceled order and another promise of credit. I still called every day to make sure the order was canceled and my credit was being processed. Each day I was told the same thing, that the note to cancel was in place, but it took 24 hours for the status to change and the credit to process.

One week after that I was charged again, this makes the 13th time. That was Sept 20th. To this day I still don't have a credit, and I have now been told by 2 supervisors that due to a computer glitch they cannot process credits, I will get mine when I get it, and not to call back.

Throughout this ordeal I have never once received any email or callback from them when promised. You guys are playing with fire when you order from Sears.com. This problem with their system, and their entire customer service infrastructure is much bigger than any of us. I'm telling you, its virtually impossible. Thank goodness my CC company is on my side so far.

Jeez man, thats insane. Your lucky your credit card company is on the up & up. Now you have me scared!

Rob Bodenschatz
10-12-2007, 6:26 PM
Just got mine home. Never received the confirmation email but called the store to make sure they had it. They did & I went & got it. Still in the box so I don't know yet if all the pieces are there. Hopefully they are & I just got a great deal.

Robert Mayer
10-12-2007, 7:08 PM
I found this today and plan on writing up a letter. Probably will end up in the dumpster, but ill try.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/nb_10153_12608_NB_Customer+Relations?adCell=A4

I would think in this day and age with big competition from lowes and home depot they would try harder. A little bit of service on this would make them future sales from me for life. And to think I have been defending many of their tools on this website and woodnet for a long time.

Larry Crim
10-12-2007, 7:32 PM
Thanks russ I got mine, when I went to the store they actually had a tag on the DP for 179 but when they rang it up it came up 479.00 they called the mgr to correct and he said it was a interner mistake and tried to not honor it lucky for me I printed everything out and brought it to him, after about 1 hour they finially honored it and I left with it and its home and put together already.
Thanks again russ

Al Willits
10-12-2007, 8:10 PM
I doubt its bait and switch, chances are like has been said, its just a misprint, not gonna get to worked up if it falls though, but we'll see.

Called the store about 1 3/4 hours ago to check on how its going, got somebody who I doubt English was even a second language and after about 45 minutes he finally got my name, conformation number and that I was trying to buy a drill press, not a TV, not a sofa or not a microwave and something else but I just couldn't understand what he was saying.
He could find nothing and promised to call right back and hung up.

Haven't heard anything yet, if the DP falls though, I'll live, this though will be a letter to sears informing them after 40+ years of buying their products I will learn to live without them, I live in America and expect people to communicate in English, especially if they're in customer service, and to honor their word, right back is not hours later....

Not real happy with sears right now, maybe tomm will be a brighter day

Al...he might have been from Oklahoma too, you know how funny them southerns talk...:)

John Hain
10-12-2007, 9:33 PM
I'm guessing for those of us who haven't received their confirmation email yet, that Sears is going to just "forget" the order was ever placed. You'll have a confirmation number but nothing else.

I'm guessing I'll call customer service tomorrow and they'll say the order has been canceled.

(and no, there were never plans to inform us the order was canceled.)

Long ago, I swore I would never buy a Craftsman power tool again. This actually might have been a chance for them to get my business back. Now it looks like it'll be just another reason to avoid Sears/Craftsman.

glenn bradley
10-12-2007, 9:36 PM
My boss's boss got one. lucky dog.

Lou Morrissette
10-12-2007, 9:56 PM
Still waiting for my email. Has anybody actualy been told that their order has been cancelled?

Lou

Robert Conner
10-12-2007, 10:05 PM
Well according to my Master Charge web site the charge has been made and is pending. Usually it takes a day or to to post to an account.
I have a paid receipt with a Delivery date of Nov 1.
We'll see what happens now. Although it seems to me that once I have paid in person , have the receipt and order confirmation the item should be mine as paid for??
Robert

Greg Muller
10-12-2007, 10:21 PM
according to my order status, I am still awaiting email confirmation, but when I selected the item# to look the drilll press over again, it showed the following:

Looking for something at Sears.com?

The product you are looking for is no longer available.
Go to the Sears.com (http://www.sears.com/shc/s/TopCategoriesDisplay?storeId=10153&catalogId=12605) home page or use the category links above to shop.
You may have received this message for several reasons:

You have bookmarked our site. Thanks for coming back!
Your session has timed out. To continue your visit, please proceed back to Sears.com (http://www.sears.com/shc/s/TopCategoriesDisplay?storeId=10153&catalogId=12605).
If you are a registered user, you will be asked to re-login to access the personalized features of the site.
You tried to reach a page that no longer exists. This may be due to a caching glitch in our system.
If you reached this page from another Sears.com page, click to go back (javascript:history.back(1)). As always, thank you for shopping at Sears.

I guess they found the error and pulled it, but we are still waiting to see if they will honor pending orders like ours. Good Luck!!

Scott Welliver
10-12-2007, 10:26 PM
I got one. Went to the local store this morning, where they had it on display but they had cleverly laid a bunch of table saw blades over the price sheet. Not detered, I moved the blades and sure enough, the price sheet had the sale price of $179 at the bottom.

I called someone over to ask about stock, he said the $179 wasn't for that drill press and pointed out that the TOP HALF of the price sheet said "15-inch drill press". I pointed out that the BOTTOM HALF of the price sheet said "17-inch drill press" right next to the $179 sale price and the model number. Then I pulled the web printout from my pocket and showed him that the stock numbers matched. That seemed to clinch the deal and we headed for the register.

He checked stock and they had ONE LEFT. I said "I'll take it." He tried to ring it up, but it kept coming up at $479. He called over a manager to override it. She didn't blink, just swiped her card and the deal was done.

Got it home and set it up. A few cheesy plastic knobs, but it seems to be pretty good where it counts. Runs very smoothly, no discernable runout on the quill. It even has "frickin' laser beams".... :-)

A big step up from the 13" Harbor Freight I have been using, and it wasn't any more expensive. Actually, the Harbor Freight 13" is $185.

Great deal -- thanks for the heads up!

...Scott

Greg Pavlov
10-12-2007, 11:03 PM
I put in the order for pickup, it was in stock at two of our
area stores but I am out of town `til next week. I tried
to check on the order tonight and got this message:

We're unable to identify this order. Either the order number or email address is invalid.

Orders placed on sears.com have unique numbers, and in some cases letters too (example: seax-000000000-seaz).
Please review your order number and enter all numbers, and letters if applicable.

Mike Spanbauer
10-12-2007, 11:38 PM
called on mine... still has email pending on it

Customer service said it has been cancelled. He had some really lame excuses on the phone, but I simply asked him.... "And when did you plan to inform me or email me?".... no response

S'ok. Sears has never been on my shopping list for any tools other than hand tools, these types of things just prove that my shopping needs are being met where they ought to, not Sears.

/shrug

mike

Bill Karow
10-13-2007, 12:03 AM
Just got the following email from Sears. I'm disappointed I didn't cash in on the deal, but I'll get over it.
--------------------
Dear Customer,

Thank you for your order with sears.com.

Unfortunately, your order for the 17 in. Drill Press (Item #00922901000)
with sears.com has been cancelled due to an error with the advertised
sale price. The cancellation of your order is in accordance with our
liability restrictions listed within our terms and conditions on our
site. Your account as been credited in the amount of $179.99. The
correct sale price for this item is $479.99. If you still wish to
purchase this item for the correct sales price, please contact us
directly at 1-800-349-4358 for personal assistance in placing a new
order. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Sears Customer Care
order@customerservice.sears.com (https://login.lyra.lunarpages.com:2096/3rdparty/squirrelmail/src/compose.php?send_to=order%40customerservice.sears. com)
1-800-349-4358

Andrew Chavchich
10-13-2007, 12:16 AM
Here is my story.
Approximately 1000am I went to see what's going on
on one of my favorite places on the internet SMC.
Saw that super deal, ordered right away. Never got confirmation.
The Sears is close to my work but I drove my wife's car today, so I went home took my pickup truck , checked e-mail and drove back to that Sears.

When I came to Sears and took a look at that DP I realized that they made a mistake. That was their biggest DP and actual selling price was close to $500.

I decided if they mention that it was a mistake I would back up.

Instead a saleperson tried to make fun of me ( I speak English much worse then I write:), lied a couple of times, pointed to me that there he cannot find
such advertisement on their web site any more.

That pissed me off a little and I asked for a manager,
pushed hard and got that damn DP.

I the last moment I even felt bad about that but then recalled how many times I bought junk from them, all their little dirty tricks and decided to keep it.
To calm my consciousness down I gave $10 tip to the guy who helped to load the press in the truck and went home.:)

Darren Ford
10-13-2007, 12:16 AM
Robert, I called that # for national customer service, and followed to the letter the instructions a helpful rep had given me on what prompts to press zero to get to a non-frontline department that was staffed by people who not only care, but can get things done. Short story is -- neither turned out to be true. The first person transferred me to another who promised to transfer me to the right person and hung up. Called back got a third person who transferred me back to the same people at Sears.com that I had already been talking to for a month.

Sears, the organization, is broken. I have a garage full of tools from them, a house full of appliances, etc. And I can tell you, I saw it almost the day of the merger with Kmart, they went down. And it was no death spiral, it was almost instant. From the lowest sales person to the highest level I have dealt with, nobody can do anything, and few care. I have had one problem after another over the past year, and unbelievably, its usually not a warranty issue (although that has happened), 99% of my problems have been not being able to buy an item that I walk into the store with cash or CC ready to buy. You would think selling in-stock items would be easy for them. But its not. Not anymore.

Oh, one more thing. The multiple charges to the CC card issue, it wasn't just me. I was told by several reps that happened to a lot (A LOT) of people. One had just got off the phone with a man who had been charged 26 times. Basically they just repeated the charges until the CC company cut them off. Apparently they created a group of people just to work thru and manually credit us, and they were 7 days behind.

Heather Thompson
10-13-2007, 3:19 AM
10:35P E-mail from Sears

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your order with sears.com.

Unfortunately, your order for the 17 in. Drill Press (Item # 00922901000) with sears.com has been cancelled due to an error with the advertised sale price. The cancellation of your order is in accordance with our liability restrictions listed within our terms and conditions on our site. Your account as been credited in the amount of $179.99. The correct sale price for this item is $479.99. If you still wish to purchase this item for the correct sales price, please contact us directly at 1-800-349-4358 for personal assistance in placing a new order. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Sears Customer Care
order@customerservice.sears.com
1-800-349-4358

:(

Scott Hubl
10-13-2007, 6:13 AM
To those that actually got one at the Mistaken price, Congrats to you, you got a good Deal.

To those that did not, remember it was a Mistake.

If you yourself put a tool up for sale at $10.00 but Meant to type $110.00 would you honor it?

OR would you explain that you accidently mistyped the price?

You can rest assured that SOMEONE will be Fired over this Mistake.

They were probably too scared to mention there Mistake in the first place, knowing once discovered they would be going home to explain how they lost there job to their family.

We all have had our "gloats" at one time or another over a great deal tool purchase, and not everyone else was able to cash in on the deal.

These Mistakes happen all the time at different companies, thats how real Gloats are made.

I have had my share, and I have MISSED out on quite a few also.

Will I NEVER shop there again? Yes I will, and I mean any company not just Sears.

Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

Luck of the draw.

The lucky ones on the DEAL jumped right away and got one before the Mistake was caught.

Amazon has "cancelled" a few orders on me over the years for the same reason , I still shop there.

To whine you will never shop there again because of this just sounds like a child that hasn't gotten their way, and is pouting being a brat over it.

It is your right to not shop there ever again , but it's silly just because YOU did not end up getting a Deal that was a genuine Mistake to begin with.

It happens, get over it and move on.

And hope you are one of the few that actually catch the next "deal" that comes along from whatever company that makes a Mistake.

Or does actually have an outstanding DEAL.
JMHO

Justin McCurdy
10-13-2007, 7:56 AM
I was debating driving 40 miles to get the deal, but decided against it when I remembered Sears would not sell me a floor model oven when mine went down on Thanksgiving morning and I had 20 people coming over for dinner. The manager would not even come out of his hole of an office to speak to me. I used to stop by weekly to check out tool clearances, but now it is more like once every 6 months. Amazing what 1 bad experience can do.

Al Willits
10-13-2007, 8:05 AM
""""""""""
To those that actually got one at the Mistaken price, Congrats to you, you got a good Deal.

To those that did not, remember it was a Mistake.
"""""""""

I have no probs with that, its the pi$$ poor cust service I've been getting, that's what agravating me, I'm just jealous of those who got the DP.:)

Sears cust service has left a bad taste in my mouth, greatful I have most of the tools I need that sears sells, and I can go other places for any that's needed.
I will send Sears a email about my thoughts on all this, fwiw.

Been shopping there for over 40 years and have always gotten great service, appears from the run around I've been getting over this, that's not the case any more....to bad I liked Sears.

Al

glenn bradley
10-13-2007, 9:20 AM
Is it feasible to put a 17 DP on a mobile base?

I have a small shop, but I recently realized that the quill travel on my 10 dp just wasn't enough.

I don't really have room for this DP, so I would have to put it on a mobile base.

thoughts?

This works great. Very stable: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=57448

glenn bradley
10-13-2007, 9:31 AM
Before everyone gets worked up I am sure this was a mistake and if some stores honor it than go for it But I would not push the issue to the point of getting so upset. I have worked in retail a long time and have seen a few people (employees) get fired for such a mistake. Is a good deal worth someone losing their job they may have had for 20 years?? Like I said if they honor it at the point of sale, GREAT!!!

I agree with Dave and am sorry for those that may have gotten to the post too late or waffled till the mistake was corrected. For those of you that got lucky; congrats! Good for you. For the rest of us; no one wears sour grapes well so take 'em off.

I missed a few similar deals on amazon and it is painfully irritating. One jointer deal was particularly painful as I missed out because I was too busy researching a fantastic bargain instead of getting in on it. Again, congratulations to those that struck while the iron was hot.

Lou Morrissette
10-13-2007, 9:50 AM
I got my "Dear Lou" email this morning explaining the order was cancelled due to an advertising mistake. That's ok. Win some, loose some. An hour later , I got another email confirming that my order was ready for pickup.:confused: I called the store and was told that the order was open and that my DP was on the second truck to be unloaded maybe on monday.:confused: WTH?
Stay tuned for the next episode.

Lou

Greg Pavlov
10-13-2007, 10:08 AM
Mine reappeared as ready for pickup and then shortly thereafter I
got a cancellation email. Look closely at the ready for pickup screen
and see if there's a blurb like "Pending email confirmation" anywhere
on it.

I agree with Scott Hubl.

David Weaver
10-13-2007, 10:11 AM
Didn't take long for one to show up on craigslist here.

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/tls/447623821.html

Wonder if this might be a creeker. I'm not on the wife's A-list lately because of the tool spending, but I almost got one, anyway. Only reason I didn't is because my local store was out of stock by the time I read this post.

Chuck Lenz
10-13-2007, 10:22 AM
Didn't take long for one to show up on craigslist here.

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/tls/447623821.html

Wonder if this might be a creeker. I'm not on the wife's A-list lately because of the tool spending, but I almost got one, anyway. Only reason I didn't is because my local store was out of stock by the time I read this post.
Thats a picture of the 20 inch drill press that has a larger table and base. The 17 inch does not weigh 200+ pounds, It's just under 200 pounds.

David Weaver
10-13-2007, 10:33 AM
I think everyone should start e-mailing offers of $179 to the guy.

I don't think I would buy a drill press from Craftsman for $400. I have some craftsman tools, but they're gradually going by the wayside - unless I find out a tool is made by someone like SCTW.

Rick Thom
10-13-2007, 10:58 AM
I bought an older, Canadian-made Delta 900 series DP a few months ago which will be similar size and weight to the Sears. Having a small shop, mobility is a necessity. Although few manufacturers want to discuss mobility options for something like a DP, the DP brochure recommended floor mount first choice but if you need mobile base, size it min 3" larger (all around) than the cast base, bolt it to 3/4"plywood and install it in the mobile base.
I found the Shop Fox D2057 to be the best of those I saw....low, stable, manuverable, fairly priced. There may be other brands around that are the same. I find many of the bases have stamped steel components that flex and I certainly don't want this piece off balance.

Lou Morrissette
10-13-2007, 11:01 AM
Mine reappeared as ready for pickup and then shortly thereafter I
got a cancellation email. Look closely at the ready for pickup screen
and see if there's a blurb like "Pending email confirmation" anywhere
on it.

I agree with Scott Hubl.

I agree with Scott as well. This whole thing has been mismanaged by Sears. Their internal comunication is a horror show. My original email confirmed the order and had the"Pending email confirmation" blurb. I then received the "ready for pickup" email.
I'm just want to see how this thing plays out in the end.

Lou

Alex Berkovsky
10-13-2007, 11:43 AM
...I got another email confirming that my order was ready for pickup.:confused: I called the store and was told that the order was open and that my DP was on the second truck to be unloaded maybe on monday.:confused: WTH?
Stay tuned for the next episode.

LouLou,
I ordered the DP Friday morning around 8am and received an email shortly after stating that it's ready for pickup. Drove Saturday morning to pick it up and was told that it was out of stock. The guy looked at the print out to verify the stock number and said that they are getting a delivery on Monday. He was apologetic that the email said that it's ready to be picked up when they didn't even have it in stock. That's Sears for you.

Scott Welliver
10-13-2007, 12:00 PM
If you yourself put a tool up for sale at $10.00 but Meant to type $110.00 would you honor it?

Ok, the amounts aren't quite the same scale -- but I actually just did this last month. I had a saw I meant to list for $675, and typo'd it $475 in the online advertisement. I noticed and changed it about an hour later, but a guy had already seen it so I honored the mistake and sold it to him for $475. It hurt, but I felt obligated to honor what I offerred.

Big companies like Sears must have some liability for their "mistakes". Otherwise, they could intentionally make "mistakes" to draw people into their stores. Honoring in-store, single-quantity purchases until the mistake has been fixed is a reasonably fair compromise; people who were "drawn into the store" by the advertisement are compensated and the store is made to pay some punitive damages for their mistake.

All the way up until the thing was loaded into my truck I had the attitude that "it's a mistake, I'm probably not going to get this." But the store did the honorable thing and stood by the advertisement.

...Scott

glenn bradley
10-13-2007, 12:05 PM
I agree with Scott as well. This whole thing has been mismanaged by Sears. Their internal comunication is a horror show. My original email confirmed the order and had the"Pending email confirmation" blurb. I then received the "ready for pickup" email.
I'm just want to see how this thing plays out in the end.

Lou

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you Lou and hope you're one of the ones that gets in on this thing.

Larry Crim
10-13-2007, 12:47 PM
The mistake was made by sears, if they cought the problem and corrected it then good for them but they should honor any purchases that came before they corrected it. I got one but when I went to the store and found it they had the 179 price on the floor so I expected them to honor it and held them to it. The manager came to me after they tried to ring it up and told me there was a incorrect price on the internet, he was not aware at the time that the price was marked the same in the store. After sticking to my guns they honored it, now on the flip side If I got to the store and they had the correct price on the floor then I probably would not have made a issue over it if they did not want to honor it.
And yes I have had issues with sears in the past so I do not feel sorry for them.
Larry

David Weaver
10-13-2007, 1:19 PM
I think the idea that someone will get fired over the issue is pretty dumb if it's a simple issue of someone using a numeric keypad and hitting a #4 instead of a #1.

I hope that's not the case - and if Sears has a brain, and the individual who made the key entry mistake doesn't have a spotty record, they'll do more damage to morale and retention by doing some such thing.

I've worked for folks where every honest mistake was met with belittling and threats, and it sure is a poor way to treat people.

Charles Greenway
10-13-2007, 2:24 PM
Well, here's my story.

I called my local Sears(kinda of a Mom n Pop's deal) and the salesman said he couldn't order for some reason or another. So I ordered the DP online to pick up at a larger Mall store because I assumed I would have a better chance of catching it in stock. I printed the ad as well as the order # just to be on the safe side.

This morning I got the "item cancelled" email. Within the hour I received a 2nd email saying the item was ready for pickup. I wasn't going to follow up but my wife insisted, saying 'it was advertised and they should honor the price'. So I called the store and was told that the order was still open according to their computer and the dp was available for pick up. I asked point blank if I were to come to the store was the item definitely available and was told yes.

So, I jump in my truck and start the 65 mile trip. Half way there I received a call from the store manager that said the drill was out of stock and they could order and have me one by November 26 for the price of $479. I told her that I had called and verified the item was there and ready to go and she told me that the pickup email had just come across their desks and the person I had talked to didn't know they were out of stock. I guess the inventory he was looking at was on a different computer than the one she was using.

Anyway, I didn't get the drill press. I have no problem with that, mistakes happen and I understand. I just wish I hadn't been given the run around.

Mike Spanbauer
10-13-2007, 3:58 PM
I think I just got a new and yet again different message... is Sears just completely out of touch w/ customer service?
Yes, it would have been a great price but I know it was a pricing mistake. Therefore, I understood that I may or may not get it. No big deal, I'm okay with that :)
I received a cancellation notice from them this morning, which was expected. I'm okay with that too.
However, I received another message from the customer service side of sears that stated the following:
"Unfortunately, order requests were much greater than anticipated for the "while quantities last" item and as a result, we are unable to fulfill your order.... " Heh, BULLsnikes...
Sure, it was a pricing mistake and I don't expect them to adhere to a mistake as I understand the position and would do the same were I a retailer. However, to outright LIE to me that they ran out of limited quantities? Heh, RIGHT... as if that was the reason.
I replied to the message stating that the real answer was acceptable (pricing mistake) but lying to an intelligent and informed consumer is a dangerous thing to do...

C'est La Vie.
Mike

Al Willits
10-13-2007, 5:17 PM
Ever get the feelings sears is going down hill when it comes to customer service?

Called the store this morning, got a different person this time, they spent almost 20 mins trying to figure out if I'm getting a DP or not, they said they could keep trying or I could call the main office customer service, been though the "I'll call ya back thing" already so I called the main (?) office 800 number, 25 mins on the phone with them ended with she finally found out that the ordered was cancled about 9 last night and they sent a email to tell me that, email goes to my work comp, so I wouldn't see it till monday, I'm figuring its the "we had to cancel because of price booboo.

I still aint to happy with the store and their attitude, so sears gets a email and rises quite high on my $hit list.

Mistakes do happen, but I would have settled for them splitting the difference and I probably would have bought the DP anyway.
Ain't happening now.

O-well....:D

Al....who figures he would have hurt himself unloading the darn thing anyway.

Lance Varnado
10-13-2007, 6:37 PM
I also ordered one on the web site yesterday. I never received a confirmation email or any other corespondance from Sears. I went to the local store today with my printed confirmation but when the manager checked on it she said their systems were down and she would call me later. In the meantime, I received an email from sears saying the price was a mistake and my order had been canceled. About 30 minutes the manager called me and told me that indeed it was a mistake, but they would honor the price at the local store. I went and picked it up and brought it home, ready for assembly. Just wanted to share my experience.

David Weaver
10-13-2007, 6:46 PM
Good on your local store. They may not have won you as a long term customer with such a move, but I'll bet they didn't lose you, either.

Dave Sabo
10-13-2007, 9:50 PM
Wow, just what kind of customer service were you expecting (if any) on a $179 floor drill press?

Makes me laugh when guys want the absolute lowest price, a really good quality and innovative product, AND want their hand held by a knowledgable sales person. Getting all three is a pipe dream, you might get 2 if your lucky.

JayStPeter
10-13-2007, 10:03 PM
I got a different letter and a phone call. The explanation from both was that the DP was out of stock because they oversold it ... unexpected volume. I had gotten a confirmation email that said it would be in on the 15th. Whatever, I figured there was a low chance I was going to get it when I ordered.

Al Willits
10-14-2007, 9:56 AM
Just checked this morning at work, yup, got the canceled due to a boo boo and the other email telling me their out of stock.
Nice to see they work well as a unit...:)

O-well, lucky you that got one, congrats.

Al...who's back looking for a drum sander now...:)

Lou Morrissette
10-14-2007, 4:24 PM
Called Sears this morning and was told my DP was in. Just got back and the beast is in the shop! Thanks Russ;)

Lou

Randall Davis
10-14-2007, 5:11 PM
I got one. Went to the local store this morning, where they had it on display but they had cleverly laid a bunch of table saw blades over the price sheet. Not detered, I moved the blades and sure enough, the price sheet had the sale price of $179 at the bottom.

I called someone over to ask about stock, he said the $179 wasn't for that drill press and pointed out that the TOP HALF of the price sheet said "15-inch drill press". I pointed out that the BOTTOM HALF of the price sheet said "17-inch drill press" right next to the $179 sale price and the model number. Then I pulled the web printout from my pocket and showed him that the stock numbers matched. That seemed to clinch the deal and we headed for the register.

He checked stock and they had ONE LEFT. I said "I'll take it." He tried to ring it up, but it kept coming up at $479. He called over a manager to override it. She didn't blink, just swiped her card and the deal was done.

Got it home and set it up. A few cheesy plastic knobs, but it seems to be pretty good where it counts. Runs very smoothly, no discernable runout on the quill. It even has "frickin' laser beams".... :-)

A big step up from the 13" Harbor Freight I have been using, and it wasn't any more expensive. Actually, the Harbor Freight 13" is $185.

Great deal -- thanks for the heads up!

...Scott

could i get a copy of the internet printout?

Scott Welliver
10-14-2007, 7:25 PM
could i get a copy of the internet printout?
There are a couple copies posted in another thread:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=67060

Anthony Anderson
10-14-2007, 11:52 PM
I have received four emails so far. One actually said that may CC did not authorized the transaction, this is not true, never had a problem with this card, so according to Sears this is the first time. Two more emails stated the pricing error. And another email stated "Unfortunately, due to either the demand for the item(s) that you ordered or the method of your payment; we were unable to process your order. Consequently, we will be canceling your order for the item(s) listed below." It is no big deal really. Mistakes happen. But I wish they would get their story straight, make sure that they don't blame the consumer or their "method of payment", and then release one email to everyone stating the error and leave it at that. Four emails with three different reasons is a little silly and redundant.

Russ Filtz
10-15-2007, 7:38 AM
Kudos to everyone that managed to get one! I didn't try as I have a 16" JET (I think, can't remember the size!).

I figured this might be a price error or closeout, or stock would be gone in 5-min.

On the flip side, I scored a Wii at BestBuy Sunday. Only had 10 and I got the 10th ticket! (after waiting at CC earlier and they had no stock). One guy waiting sold his ticket for $100 before the store opened. He wasn't even there to get a Wii, just stumbled on it and figured why not. :p

Al Willits
10-15-2007, 8:04 AM
Got the same CC email, also got the original canceled because of errors email back from my email, in regarding their customer service.
When the B&M shops complain about on line taking their business, they might want to look at why, perfect case here.
As confused as they seem to be, I don't see me walking though their doors anytime soon.
Well.... unless their another tool that's $300 off...:)

Al

Matt Meiser
10-15-2007, 9:00 AM
You guys don't really think someone at Sears is sitting at their computer typing up these emails, do you? I'd be willing to bet all are automated, sent from separate, poorly integrated systems. As Sears has tried to clean up this mess, they've probably done quick fixes in each of their systems to cancel orders, prevent new orders, and prevent orders-in-process from being charged to credit cards. Each of those would probably cause emails to get kicked out to the customer (emails the customer would usually want to see so they know what is happening with their order.)

Darren Ford
10-15-2007, 9:38 AM
Actually Matt, most of these problems come from the rollout of a brand new software system that was supposed to do everything, including integrate Kmart & Sears. It has been a disaster since it was put into production over the labor day weekend (Sept 1-3). This is according to several CS reps I have talked to (some still deny any problems but some will tell you its been a nightmare for them as well).

I would like to amend my comments and say that some of the problems originally occurred because of the awful new software, the core problem is still that nobody at Sears knows what that are doing, or really cares.

Anthony Anderson
10-15-2007, 9:59 AM
No Matt, I don't think that someone is sitting somewhere and typing emails. But this uncoordinated effort, on the part of Sears, of wrong, misleading, or emails that just plain lie, do them no justice whatsoever. I do understand that the emails are sent via computer automation. But at some point human interaction and decisions have to be made as how to handle the situation. Humans, at some point, had to decide how to solve the problem and write the script of the email(s), or decide what pre-created emails to send in response. There is obviously a breakdown in that communication line somewhere. The hands and feet of the organization cannot communicate effectively with one another, or the brain.

You guys don't really think someone at Sears is sitting at their computer typing up these emails, do you? I'd be willing to bet all are automated, sent from separate, poorly integrated systems. As Sears has tried to clean up this mess, they've probably done quick fixes in each of their systems to cancel orders, prevent new orders, and prevent orders-in-process from being charged to credit cards. Each of those would probably cause emails to get kicked out to the customer (emails the customer would usually want to see so they know what is happening with their order.)

JayStPeter
10-15-2007, 10:33 AM
There was some indication by the person I spoke to that the individual store was responsible for dealing with the orders if it was ordered for pickup at a store, which mine was. It sounded like individual regional warehouses were responsible for delivery orders. So we are all probably dealing with different people. In my case, the store was notified by the warehouse that they didn't have stock to fill the order. So, they cancelled it.
You would think that online ordering could keep track of stock and pretty easily put an "out of stock" message on the web. Significantly smaller companies do it. A simple thing like that would've saved them a lot of effort cancelling all these orders. Not that they wouldn't have had to cancel some based on the pricing mistake, but not nearly as many.
There were people on slickdeals.net buying them in quantity to resell on ebay. Even people who didn't even know what a drill press is used for.

Bill Karow
10-15-2007, 10:33 AM
12 hours after getting the first email, I got another saying the DP was in stock at my local Sears. So I went down, and it wasn't. I offered to take the floor model, but the manager politely said it's been on the floor for over a year and it most likely has worn or broken parts and no manuals. They instead rush shipped one from the warehouse that should be here next Friday, and took ANOTHER 10% off the price for my inconvenience! If it shows up for pickup next Friday as promised, I'll be pretty pleased :)

BOB OLINGER
10-15-2007, 12:16 PM
I have a confirmation number in writing; am waiting for email instructions for store pick-up which was to be 3-5 days starting last Fri. As far as pricing errors, in my opinion, that is Sears problem until they correct the error online. Confirmed orders up to the correction should be filled. Same goes with airline tickets. As a consumer/customer, how are we to know when there are errors. Are we to challenge or be skeptical of every sale/price that Sears puts out there? For what we know, they may have been attempting to clear our over inventory or discontiued models.

Lou Morrissette
10-15-2007, 1:39 PM
Some folks have said they received emails that stated that Sears had oversold that model:rolleyes:. I just received a Craftsman Club catalogue that is advertising that model on sale for Buy one for $476. , Buy two for $450. ,Buy three for $423. Doesn't sound like a shortage to me:confused:

Lou

Mike Spanbauer
10-15-2007, 1:55 PM
The only confirmation is that through all of this, Sears has/is a bunch of Tools....

Grats on those who were lucky enough, sweet score indeed.

mike

Gary Keedwell
10-15-2007, 2:30 PM
http://sitelife.woodmagazine.com/ver1.0/Content/images/store/0/2/809b3466-60eb-4c60-b29b-2d5e8ddc9a92.Medium.gif Can't believe this still has a life.
GK

Dave Lehnert
10-15-2007, 6:29 PM
Some folks have said they received emails that stated that Sears had oversold that model:rolleyes:. I just received a Craftsman Club catalogue that is advertising that model on sale for Buy one for $476. , Buy two for $450. ,Buy three for $423. Doesn't sound like a shortage to me:confused:

Lou
That catalog was printed about 2 or 3 months ago.

Robert Mayer
10-15-2007, 6:41 PM
A computer error doesnt tell you three different things on the same order. Its some idiot manager at sears trying to cover his tracks after making a pricing error. I got all these answers via email:

1. Credit card still processing.
2. Drill out of stock
3. Wrong price on website.

You can see the results after mixing a company going bad with a horrible one (kmart). I sent them a reasonable email with my complaints about their bad service and told them to do something for me. I dont expect an email back because they will just delete it.

Jim Watson
10-15-2007, 8:51 PM
A big thanks for the heads up on the 'offer' Russ. I saw your post on Sat., the 13th. Printed out the add someone was nice enough to post and went down to our little mom and pop sears store. They made a phone call and said someone goofed on the pricing BUT since I had a copy of the ad, I could buy one at that advertised price. Paid for it then and there and was told it will be in the latter part of November...here's hoping. Thanks again Russ,
Jim

Richard Magbanua
10-15-2007, 9:21 PM
Dave Sabo,
I agree! I think it's ridiculous how many have tried to get this drill press and complain, complain, complain, when they find out it was a mistake! Get real, Sears is a big company that sells thousands of products. The responses many of you got by phone or email were probably canned responses for the hundred or so other mistakes made this month. So it's not great customer service. Get over it. It was a mistake. Ya ain't gettin' the drill press for $180.

Anthony Anderson
10-15-2007, 9:26 PM
Okay, not to criticize anyone here. But the mom and pop Sears stores are not that profitable, in fact, and my guess is they will eat the loss. Where will one draw the line to get a good deal? I am wondering if the mom and pop Sears stores are still independently owned, they used to be. So you are taking some regular folks and ripping them one, just to get a "good deal". Search your conscious, and decide what kind of person you are. If you need to take advantage of people to pursue the craft, then you maybe you should wait awhile until you can truly enjoy the tools that you can honestly buy. I do not intend this to upset, or offend, you or anyone else, but you are clearly taking advantage of people trying to make a living. It does feel nice to get a good deal on tools, but I won't do it dishonestly. Sincere Regards, Bill

A big thanks for the heads up on the 'offer' Russ. I saw your post on Sat., the 13th. Printed out the add someone was nice enough to post and went down to our little mom and pop sears store. They made a phone call and said someone goofed on the pricing BUT since I had a copy of the ad, I could buy one at that advertised price. Paid for it then and there and was told it will be in the latter part of November...here's hoping. Thanks again Russ,
Jim

Ern Gumban
10-15-2007, 9:27 PM
http://sitelife.woodmagazine.com/ver1.0/Content/images/store/0/2/809b3466-60eb-4c60-b29b-2d5e8ddc9a92.Medium.gif Can't believe this still has a life.
GK

It just keeps going and going and going...
Pathetic. Yes I'm new here, but these temper tantrums are ridiculous.

Nancy Laird
10-15-2007, 9:43 PM
GK

Me either!!

Nancy (67 days)

Jim Watson
10-17-2007, 10:18 PM
I do understand what your saying about the Mom & Pop store and them possibly having to eat the error. I know the owner of this store - have known them since they came into our little town. I asked him point blank before I purchased the drill press if he was taking it in the shorts and he said no. Told me it was a Sears Corp. error and would not cost him anything.
Jim

Dave Lehnert
10-18-2007, 12:11 AM
"A big thanks for the heads up on the 'offer' Russ. I saw your post on Sat., the 13th. Printed out the add someone was nice enough to post and went down to our little mom and pop sears store. "

Good to hear that the store owner will not take the loss. One thing I see that made the problem even bigger for Sears. They corrected the problem on their web site but someone posted a “Copy” of the ad here on Sawmill creek. So even when Sears corrected the mistake, the original ad was still being passed around. How is a retailer to correct something like that? I am sure in the copyright the Sears ad should have not been copied and posted here on SMC

Danny Thompson
10-18-2007, 9:27 AM
Dave,

On the other hand, how much other business does Sears get from free marketing on this site--all the positive press about the zip code saw, for example.

Apparantly some people got the lower price based on the printed ad alone, but that wasn't universal. I know the copy of the ad didn't get me anywhere at one store, which didn't have the $179 posted. I only got the $179 price at the store that had a sign up that read $179, $350 off.

Clearly, if the price was truly an error, they needed a way to get every store to pull the price and post a sign in their stores saying the price was an error, and apologizing for the error. If it had been a web error only, then this wouldn't be necessary, but since the price was also printed on signs in the stores . . .

Deck Reagan
10-19-2007, 10:56 PM
One week ago today, when all this commotion started I slipped down to the local Sears franchise and showed them the internet price on the drill. The scratched there head, mentioned it's probably a Sears error and said well, your gain, contratulations on a great deal.

I thought I would get a call back days later saying no go. Tuesday of this week my credit card finally showed a debit for the $192.

Today I got a call from sears saying my drill came in and please come pick it up. I casually slipped in...signed the pickup notice and got the hell out of there.

I now have a saweet drill assembled in my garage.

Thanks for the tip boys!

I can't wait for the next great tool deal!

PS. I also ordered the PM2000! Yes, I have already spent my free $50 Gift Certif.

Sincerely,
Deck