PDA

View Full Version : Delta LA200 Mini Question / Recommendation

michael gallagher
10-12-2007, 12:58 AM
All-

I have lurked around here for a while, picking up some good scoop and suggestions, and now I have a question (after you read my rant) for our experts here. I’ve been looking to get a smaller lathe for various reasons and, after “kicking the tires” at my local Rocker store across the street from work, I think this little Delta LA200 is for me. Unfortunately, they want $299.99 for it as demonstrated on their website:

http://tinyurl.com/2uf6ry (http://tinyurl.com/2uf6ry)

Going to my trusty Amazon shopping center (my wife gets perturbed because I tend to only shop at Amazon or eBay, but that’s another story), they have it for the low, low price of $159.99:

http://tinyurl.com/2udcl3 (http://tinyurl.com/2udcl3)

What am I missing here that causes a $140 difference on the same item – almost the price of 2 lathes on Amazon - not counting differences in shipping prices? Call this post more of a rant, so here’s my real question.....are their any recommendations for this Delta lathe, or the comparable size JET lathe that is about $100 or so higher than the Delta? Would you recommend one over the other, or should I be looking at something different in terms of quality of the tool, etc. I like the idea of $160, but want to be sure it is a piece of equipment that will last.

Many thanks-

Michael
Pearland, TX

Marvin Hasenak
10-12-2007, 1:19 AM
Go for the Amazon price, for some unknown reason whoever is selling them through Amazon has the better price. I have the same lathe, and I love it for what I use it for. I mostly making game calls and pens, have not had any problems. I also have a Jet mini, but I like the Delta more. The belt is a lot easier to change on the Delta than the Jet, on and off switch is in a safer position, tailstock operates a lot smoother than the Jet.

My 2 cents is the Jet has more owners therefore receives more compliments, but like I said I have both and in my opinion the Delta is a better machine.

Marvin

Richard Magbanua
10-12-2007, 1:33 AM
Michael,
FYI, the Rikon Lathe is on sale at Woodcraft until the end of this month for $200 (reg $250). It has 12" swing and a 16" bed. Check it out before you get the Delta. Whichever one you get, let us know how you like it!

Tom Hamilton
10-12-2007, 8:06 AM
Hi Mike and welcome to the Creek!

I bought the Delta LA 200 last month during the $123 special so you are right prices are all over the board.

My experience is limited but so far I'm pleased. Fit and finish is good, ways are clean and smooth and the belt change is easy with two access doors.

Come by and see it this weekend if you're out and about.

See you Sunday at Church,

Tom

Bernie Weishapl
10-12-2007, 10:13 AM
Mike I would get the LA 200 at Amazon if that is the best price. I would also look at Woodcraft as has been suggested for the Rikon for a few dollars more you get a 12" swing instead of a 10" one. I had the LA-200 and gave it to my nephew so he could get started in turning. I really liked it but went and bought the Rikon. It is as good as the LA-200. Either lathe would serve you well.

Gene Kennedy
10-12-2007, 12:02 PM
"What am I missing here that causes a $140 difference on the same item – almost the price of 2 lathes on Amazon - not counting differences in shipping prices?"

When I decided to buy a lathe I was also surprised at the difference in pricing between the retail outlets and the Amazon prices. I was actually hesitant to buy the ones in the $125 to $150 price range out of fear they were selling returned or discontinued models or so called "scratch & dent" items as new. I did buy one of the Delta midis on Amazon, and have been extremely pleased.

It turns out that the online company that I got my lathe from is able to sell them so cheap because by taking advantage of low overhead and by selling high volume - not by selling inferior products.

Steven Wilson
10-12-2007, 3:49 PM
I had that lathe, nice machine. The price from Amazon is good. The Jet wouldn't be worth an extra $150. I got mine from Sears at a great price a few years ago - so you never know where you can find one at a good price.

Don't worry, the Talon chuck, Tormek, and a bunch of tools you'll acquire will cost a lot more than that lathe will.

Philip Duffy
10-12-2007, 3:54 PM
LOVE mine, and its only 3 weeks old. Check the Craig's List in your area. That is where I found mine, and there is another there today. You will not be disappointed. Philip

michael gallagher
10-13-2007, 10:14 AM
All-

Thanks for the information, and I will let you know what happens.

Regards,

Michael
Houston