PDA

View Full Version : Mesquite hf pot

Paul Engle
10-11-2007, 6:59 PM
This piece of mesquite was graceously sent to me by Judy K. The intent was for chips for my smoker, but ... by the time all was said and done , I did save the chips from it, but this was hiding inside and there was no way it was gonna flavor a ham or a chicken or anything else:eek: . It is mesquite from a spalted log 7 " dia by about 9 " long, finished size is 6 1/2" x 6 1/2" tung oil.I tried to save the bark on the rim but no such luck. The other one is birch and is 9 wide x 5 " high ,I manage to save the bark and it is wipe on poly 4 or 5 coats .Thanks Judy , the gals the office loved the worm holes, the wanted me to leave it there and put dry flowers in but you know how that goes ...:D

Jude Kingery
10-11-2007, 8:43 PM
Hey Paul! Glad you enjoyed it and nice job with the Mesquite! It's fun to turn; you put a beautiful finish on it as well. Hopefully you didn't get any grubs on your face shield, but sometimes people do like the worm holes, I've found that to be true as well. Very nicely done! Now it's time for a steak with the shavings! So pleased you enjoyed it! Jude

Bernie Weishapl
10-11-2007, 9:26 PM
Paul those are beauties. I really like the mesquite with the worm holes. I love turning mesquite and buy it quite often off the big bay. Mesquite makes some awesome natural edge bowls. If I had one wood to turn it would be mesquite. Well done Paul.

Christopher K. Hartley
10-12-2007, 8:45 AM
Paul, you do realize that we are lobbying in the Texas legislature for a new law that only bowl cutoffs can be used for smoking Texas barbecue. violators would be assessed a $100,0000.00 fine to be donated to the Art of Wood turning.:eek: :D Well it was a thought anyway...By the way, very nice job!:)

Paul Engle
10-12-2007, 9:51 AM
I knew it ... Christopher, you have a point tho , mesquite is got to be the best for smoking meat. Thanks for looking. When I hit the lottery I'm gonna come down there and buy a whole truck load ...

Jim Kountz
10-12-2007, 6:25 PM
Love the bowl, what an unusual piece of wood that is, Good job!

Tom Sherman
10-13-2007, 9:54 PM
Very nice Paul, excellent job on both pieces.