PDA

View Full Version : Completed sideboard

James Phillips
10-11-2007, 5:25 PM
Here are some pics of a sideboard I just finished. Please comment good and bad (I can take it). It is a slightly modified version of the Garrett Hack Huntboard design. I inlaid the bading around the top and use a little more birch in mine than he did in his. The cherry needs a little more time to "redden". Thanks for looking

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b371/jphillips97/IMG_2122.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b371/jphillips97/IMG_2123.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b371/jphillips97/IMG_2124.jpg

Don C Peterson
10-11-2007, 5:35 PM
Very nice. Is the top beveled on the bottom or is that just shadows from the flash?

Glenn Clabo
10-11-2007, 5:39 PM
Love it! Proportion...legs...doors...draws...cool.

And because you asked...and because I'm a little anal :o about glued up tops...I would have been a little more "clear" with the top. The tree growth extremes throughout are a little dis-concerning for me.

But...once again...I love it for the overall. And please take my comments as my hang ups.

James Phillips
10-11-2007, 5:40 PM
Very nice. Is the top beveled on the bottom or is that just shadows from the flash?

It is indeed beveled on the bottom.

James Phillips
10-11-2007, 5:41 PM
Love it! Proportion...legs...doors...draws...cool.

And because you asked...and because I'm a little anal :o about glued up tops...I would have been a little more "clear" with the top. The tree growth extremes throughout are a little dis-concerning for me.

But...once again...I love it for the overall. And please take my comments as my hang ups.

That I wrestled with, because I know many people like glue ups to me more clear. I had more cherry to choose from, but I decided I liked the variation. If I were bulding for a customer I would have kept it clear. Thanks for the comments.

Jim Becker
10-11-2007, 7:27 PM
I absolutely love it, James!! I've always like the style and you did a bang-up job on this piece. Nice!

joe pezza
10-11-2007, 8:00 PM
Very nice work. Class and understated elegance. clean lines.
I was really surprised to see the inlay after viewing the 1st pic, but I really think it adds something to the piece.

Congrats on your work!

joe p

Jim Newman
10-11-2007, 9:50 PM
Beautiful proportioning and nice contrast in grain/pattern/curl/wave in wood! Is most of it curly cherry for sides, legs, etc.? Great clean lines, congrats!

James Phillips
10-11-2007, 9:57 PM
Beautiful proportioning and nice contrast in grain/pattern/curl/wave in wood! Is most of it curly cherry for sides, legs, etc.? Great clean lines, congrats!

Since the cherry has not aged yet it is hard to tell, but the flat sawn wood with wide curl is Flames birch and the quartersawn wood is indeed cherry. The door panels and the center panel on the sides are the birch.

Bryan Berguson
10-11-2007, 10:01 PM
I love it! Beautiful piece of craftmanship! Were you inspired by the one in Fine Woodworking several issues ago?

Bryan

Matt P
10-11-2007, 10:15 PM
Really great. I like the arc on the bottom edge - it's graceful.

Can you explain what type of hinges you used? Any installation pointers?

Mark Carlson
10-11-2007, 10:18 PM
Its beautiful now and it will get more so with age. Good job.

~mark

Hank Knight
10-11-2007, 10:50 PM
James,

That is a top notch job! Congratulations. It's beautiful. I'm still at the beginning stage of mine, but I plan to make some progress on it this weekend. Yours is an inspiration.

Hank

frank shic
10-11-2007, 11:56 PM
james, nice looking sideboard! are the edges of the raised panels in the doors intentionally sanded over to subdue the effect?

Irvin Cooper
10-12-2007, 12:03 AM
Beautiful work! Elegant in every way.

Irv

James Phillips
10-12-2007, 6:33 AM
james, nice looking sideboard! are the edges of the raised panels in the doors intentionally sanded over to subdue the effect?

Yes. I do my raised panels on the Tablesax and the edge to me just looked a little harsh (for lack of a better word). I built an extra and smoothed the edges and like the look, the rest is history...

James Phillips
10-12-2007, 6:34 AM
I love it! Beautiful piece of craftmanship! Were you inspired by the one in Fine Woodworking several issues ago?

Bryan

The one and the same

James Phillips
10-12-2007, 6:36 AM

Can you explain what type of hinges you used? Any installation pointers?

The hinges are called offset knife hinges. They are not the easiest hinges to install. You have to create a recess for them to sit in in both the door and the case work. This requires some skill with hand tools. The screws are small and cumbersome and it the hinges do not line up fairly well they will not feel smooth (not to mention they are $17 a pair). When installing just be paitient and go slow

Jim Becker
10-12-2007, 9:30 AM
Yes. I do my raised panels on the Tablesax ...

How do you keep that one in tune??? :D :D :D

Mike Wilkins
10-12-2007, 9:30 AM
Pooh sure seems to like it. I do too. Love that inlay on the top, although I would have used lumber with less sapwood and more even color. Still like it.

Dave Sinkus
10-12-2007, 11:15 AM
I especially like the leg taper. FWW recent issue has an article on leg tapers and I like to see what you did for your piece.

Cody Colston
10-12-2007, 1:03 PM
That's a great piece of furniture and really pleasing to my untrained eye. I'm no furniture design expert but I know what I like when I see it and I like that piece a lot.

Per your request for critique, I too think that the top could have been matched better for color and grain...or you could have left out the inlay. The color/grain combination with the inlay makes the top appear a bit busy...again in my opinion only, which doesn't count for much.

Thanks for showing the piece.

Mike Heaney
10-12-2007, 3:13 PM
Great job- could we have some more pics- especially with things opened up?

I read the FWW article when it came out and put it away for a project to tackle when I am MUCH more capable! Great to see you take this on and do such a good job. Did you keep track of your hours on this one- would be interesting to hear just how time consuming a project it was.

again, congratulations on a fine piece of work

Mike

James Phillips
10-12-2007, 3:58 PM
Great job- could we have some more pics- especially with things opened up?

I read the FWW article when it came out and put it away for a project to tackle when I am MUCH more capable! Great to see you take this on and do such a good job. Did you keep track of your hours on this one- would be interesting to hear just how time consuming a project it was.

again, congratulations on a fine piece of work

Mike

I will get some more pictures with the drawers open and try and post them tomorrow. As far as hours go (I am only guessing here) I would say it is about 40 hours or so. There is some hand tool work and the time spent milling the rough lumber. It can likely be done in much less time, but since this is a hobby I tend to work leisurely.

James Phillips
10-12-2007, 4:01 PM
I especially like the leg taper. FWW recent issue has an article on leg tapers and I like to see what you did for your piece.

I tapered my legs on my jointer. THere are a couple of techniques for this and it is safer than a taper jig, plus much easier when tapering 4 sides

Bert Johansen
10-12-2007, 6:49 PM
Love it! Impeccable craftsmanship! The undercut top gives it a lightness that is perfect for the piece. My personal issues are the inlay in the top and the dark pulls. My choice would be to go pure--eliminate the inlay and make the pulls out of cherry. This version would look very Shaker in inspiration and execution. But your piece is stunning. Congratulations!

Post another picture in a year or so and let us see how the cherry has mellowed.

Robert Mayer
10-12-2007, 7:19 PM

The only change I would make is to make that bottom arc flat or curved the opposite way. JMO though!

Jake Helmboldt
10-12-2007, 10:30 PM
How do you keep that one in tune??? :D :D :D

Heck, I want to know where you put your lips!:eek:

John Timberlake
10-13-2007, 8:33 AM
Great looking piece. Really good proportions. Love the panels in the doors.

Jason Tuinstra
10-13-2007, 9:46 AM
James, great job all the way around. As the cherry deepens and the contrast is more obvious, I'm sure it will look even better. A real nice piece.

Jerry Olexa
10-13-2007, 10:02 AM
Very nice work....Simple elegance and the cherry will darken over time. good job!!