PDA

View Full Version : What material for shop ceiling?

David Axmann
10-11-2007, 3:19 PM
I am in the middle of "finishing" my 20 x 20 detached workshop. I've wired everything, insulated the walls and am halfway through putting up the OSB walls. I am trying to figure out a good material to put on the 8 1/2 ft. ceiling. My original plan was to use more OSB but I'm not too excited about that as I'm working on my own.

I know there has to be some type of material out there that is reasonably lightweight, easy to cut for ceiling electrical boxes, will hold up insulation (probably blown cellulose) and is reasonable inexpensive. Any suggestions?

Warren Clemans
10-11-2007, 3:30 PM
I assume you've ruled out sheetrock for some reason? I did my shop ceiling single-handed. Just rented a lift from Home Despot. Didn't cost much and made the job go really fast. I like sheetrock because it's about as cheap as OSB but doesn't stink like OSB, doesn't burn like OSB, and is easy to paint.

Jim Becker
10-11-2007, 3:33 PM
Drywall. "Relatively" inexpensive. An alternative would be homasote, although it's not as stiff as 'rock.

David Axmann
10-11-2007, 3:36 PM
I used OSB for the walls because it is so cheap. The small gaps left between OSB sheets are ok but I would feel like I had to tape and mud the sheetrock which is more than I wanted to put into it. The same goes for the ceiling. Plus, the workshop is already full of tools and stuff so wheeling around a drywall lift would be pretty tough.

I'm thinking of some sort of plastic material that comes in sheet size but I don't have a clue if something like that exists.

Jim Becker
10-11-2007, 3:39 PM
You don't have to tape and mud the drywall "formally" if you don't want to. Just as you might with the homasote, you could finish things off with flat wooden strapping or even cloth tape. Both, once painted, would look quite nice.

David G Baker
10-11-2007, 4:09 PM
Probably not going to be approved by the safety police, some folks in Michigan use rigid foam board, foil coated rigid foam, Celotex, Styrofoam sheets, and metal siding. The foam board and Celotex should be covered for fire safety but frequently is not.

Sean Troy
10-11-2007, 4:53 PM
I assume you've ruled out sheetrock for some reason? I did my shop ceiling single-handed. Just rented a lift from Home Despot. Didn't cost much and made the job go really fast. I like sheetrock because it's about as cheap as OSB but doesn't stink like OSB, doesn't burn like OSB, and is easy to paint.

Sheetrock here in KY. is twice the cost of OSB and then add the cost and time of taping, mudding and sanding. OSB hands down is my choice. You can use a lift for it if your alone.

glenn bradley
10-11-2007, 4:58 PM
What's above the joists? Suspended ceiling might be an option? I've done a couple of these and they go up quite quickly plus you can recess your lights into the frames.

Jim O'Dell
10-11-2007, 5:13 PM
If you have the bucks, you could do glassliner in 4x8 sheets. But cutting the holes out would leave you itching REAL BAD!! But it's a nice bright white pebbled finish. I used OSB on mine, but I used the Glassliner material as reflectors and recessed the flourescent lights up into the ceiling joists, and they are every other bay. So my OSB pieces are only 2 feet wide which made it easier to handle by myself. 4X8 sheets definately need 2 people, even using a deadman. I used my ladder, and a deadman on the other end. Jim.

Sean Troy
10-11-2007, 6:07 PM
If you have the bucks, you could do glassliner in 4x8 sheets. But cutting the holes out would leave you itching REAL BAD!! But it's a nice bright white pebbled finish. I used OSB on mine, but I used the Glassliner material as reflectors and recessed the flourescent lights up into the ceiling joists, and they are every other bay. So my OSB pieces are only 2 feet wide which made it easier to handle by myself. 4X8 sheets definately need 2 people, even using a deadman. I used my ladder, and a deadman on the other end. Jim.

I used a ladder and my wife on the other end ! LOL

Josiah Bartlett
10-11-2007, 6:14 PM
Why not cut the OSB in half so you only have 4x4 sheets to put up?

I like having a material on my ceiling with obvious joints so I can tell where the rafters are- that way I can use long cauls wedged between them and my work for clamps. Mine is homasote put up by the PO. Whatever you do, use something white. Your lighting will be much better.

Jim Becker
10-11-2007, 7:05 PM
For $35-50 you can rent a lift and not have to strain even on half-sheets if you use OSB, drywall, homasote, whatever. It sure does let you concentrate on getting the fasteners in the right place, too, rather than figuring out how you're going to keep from wrenching your back!

Jim O'Dell
10-11-2007, 9:16 PM

If I'd tried that, I would be a dead man! :D Jim.

Matt Meiser
10-11-2007, 9:22 PM
I did mine with white steel, like is used on pole barns. They make a non-warranted version for indoor use. Theoretically it is more accoustically reflective, but I haven't noticed it to be a problem. We did the whole ceiling (30x32, 12' up) in less than a day.

Jim Becker
10-11-2007, 9:38 PM
I did mine with white steel, like is used on pole barns. They make a non-warranted version for indoor use. Theoretically it is more accoustically reflective, but I haven't noticed it to be a problem. We did the whole ceiling (30x32, 12' up) in less than a day.

I thought I remember someone doing that! Thanks for bringing it up again, Matt. It's an interesting idea.

Jim Newman
10-11-2007, 9:54 PM
I did drywall and painted it white for maximum light reflection and sound deadening. I rented a lift and did it myself. I also put insulation in between the joist to deaden sound transmission into my family room above it. I was also advised to put 4 or 6 mil plastic up over unsulation and behind drywall to keep sawdust out. It has worked great for me.

Leigh Betsch
10-11-2007, 10:11 PM
I have a converted milking barn (100ft sq heated and air conditioned, another 3000ft sq waiting for me to convert)) white metal pole barn tin on the ceiling and white FRP (fiberglass reinforced panel) on the walls. Looks very nice and it is bright. In my last shop I had untaped sheet rock ceiling and white pegboard on all the walls. Made hanging things easy. I told everyone that it was paneling and I drilled all the holes myself with a hand drill.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-11-2007, 10:17 PM
I put drywall on the ceiling in my shop because it was cheaper. I wished now I'd paid the difference and use plywood like I did on the walls!

Jim Becker
10-12-2007, 9:27 AM
I put drywall on the ceiling in my shop because it was cheaper. I wished now I'd paid the difference and use plywood like I did on the walls!

Why do you feel you should have used the plywood?

John Bush
10-12-2007, 9:40 AM
In my old shop I used "damaged" 4 X 8 sheets of 1/4" white melamine that I got very inexpensively. I covered the seams with strips I ripped from 2 X 4's and the ceiling was done. Reflected light well and no further finishing needed. JCB.

Prashun Patel
10-12-2007, 11:37 AM
If you drywall, it might be a fire code violation not to tape and mud.

I vote for drop ceiling. The airspace above combined with good acoustic panels will deaden sound way better than drywall. Also, it makes running cables/lights/extensions easier.

John Ricci
10-12-2007, 1:12 PM
7/16" OSB, same as the walls for this kid. It is solid and makes a surface where I can mount lighting using conduit (10' ceiling) instead of running all the wires overhead which allows for changes when needed. I also have the option of hanging heavier things like an air cleaner without special fasteners like toggle bolts wherever I can't hit one of the trusses. Oh yeah, it was dirt cheap compared to drywall and way more durable to boot. My .02Cdn.

J.R.

Kyle Kraft
10-12-2007, 3:02 PM
That was me, Jim. I along with Matt am a proponent of the "pole barn" steel ceiling. Lightweight, goes up quickly and easily, don't have to tape, mud or paint it. IMHO it's the only way to go.

Cliff Rohrabacher
10-12-2007, 5:08 PM
Lathe and horse hair plaster.

Jeffrey Schronce
10-12-2007, 7:07 PM
For those citing 7/16" OSB as being cheaper than drywall, what are you paying for a 4 x 8 sheet of 7/16" OSB? When I checked pricing I found OSB to be more expensive.

Jim O'Dell
10-12-2007, 7:14 PM
I paid 4.95/sheet last Spring. Haven't priced it lately as I hate the stuff with a passion. Jim.

fRED mCnEILL
10-12-2007, 9:48 PM
Because my shop is at one end of our barn I wanted/needed fireproofing so I didn't burn up the horses in case of a fire. I also weld in my shop. So I used double sheetrock.It extends the burn time significantly.

Kevin- Marcotte
10-12-2007, 10:51 PM
I used white steel for my ceiling. Goes up easy, no taping or painting, and reflects light very well. I put a vapor barrier up before the steel and have blown in fiberglass insulation on top.

John Ricci
10-12-2007, 11:11 PM
For those citing 7/16" OSB as being cheaper than drywall, what are you paying for a 4 x 8 sheet of 7/16" OSB? When I checked pricing I found OSB to be more expensive.

I purchased my OSB in June 06 @ $9Cdn. per sheet when the suitable sheetrock was $20 per. Strangely, the same OSB was $20/sheet in 05 and is about the same price in 07...I bought at the right time I guess???

J.R.

richard poitras
10-12-2007, 11:11 PM
http://www.dow.com/styrofoam/na/thermax/products/thermax_white.htm (http://www.dow.com/styrofoam/na/thermax/products/thermax_white.htm)

Try this product lightweight, white color for the ceiling, and an insulation board .

Thermax white by Dow

Ken Fitzgerald
10-12-2007, 11:33 PM
Why do you feel you should have used the plywood?

Dummy....(that's me) has already put a ding in the drywall and if it had been plywood it would have been finished already. Did I mention that I hate mudding taping and sanding?

Stephen Pereira
10-13-2007, 9:10 AM
I agree with those who recommended white steel. Easy to clean if need be, strong, reflects light, doesn't need painting, light weight. PITA to cut holes for ceiling boxes but I use conduit for electrical services anyway. Steel in my neck of the woods is about .55/sqft.. more than sheetrock or OSB but no finishing required. If you are working by yourself nail 2x4's across wall to hold one end, hoist up to ceiling and jamb a home made "T" between floor and ceiling.. have steel sheets pre marked for joist spacing.

Heather Thompson
10-13-2007, 11:39 AM
My dad put sheetrock on his 12 foot high garage ceiling solo while being in his sixties. What he did was to build a light wooden frame 4 1/2 x 8 foot, fixed hinges to one of the long sides that matched the ceiling joists and a lip on the other long edge. He measured the distance from the wall to determine where to screw his hinged frame, lifted a sheet of rock onto his swinging frame and lifted it up and set it on a ladder as a temporary lift point. He had a 2x4 cut to length to act as his third arm, then adjusted the sheet into proper location and screwed it home. The job was finished in under a day. He built the lift from scrap and had old hinges from previous projects, total cost for lift= 0.00. It is hard for me to stand in my fathers shadow... ;)

Sean Troy
10-13-2007, 1:36 PM

7/16 OSB here is 5.45 1/2 drywaill over 10.00

John Kempkes
10-13-2007, 4:34 PM
All this talk about what is cheapest/easiest, you forget sometimes about what is best.

I did my shop ceiling in OSB and painted it white. Not real impressive.

Someday I'm going to do the walls and ceiling in pine carsiding (the stuff that is about 8" wide t&g) and stain/finish it nicely. Nothing like wood in a woodshop IMO

Bill Neely
10-13-2007, 10:56 PM
That looks interesting. Have you installed it and do you know what the cost is?

http://www.dow.com/styrofoam/na/thermax/products/thermax_white.htm (http://www.dow.com/styrofoam/na/thermax/products/thermax_white.htm)

Try this product lightweight, white color for the ceiling, and an insulation board .

Thermax white by Dow

Christof Grohs
10-14-2007, 9:20 AM
I agree with those who recommended white steel. Easy to clean if need be, strong, reflects light, doesn't need painting, light weight. PITA to cut holes for ceiling boxes but I use conduit for electrical services anyway. Steel in my neck of the woods is about .55/sqft.. more than sheetrock or OSB but no finishing required. If you are working by yourself nail 2x4's across wall to hold one end, hoist up to ceiling and jamb a home made "T" between floor and ceiling.. have steel sheets pre marked for joist spacing.

Same here, 29g fire rated steel ceiling and brick walls. Ever stop to think what would happen to your shop if your dust collector caught fire under and OSB ceiling.

John Kendall
10-14-2007, 9:42 AM
I used the suspended ceiling with 3 inch styrofoam pieces. They insulate and are very easy to install (1 person). I did my 24X32 garage/shop with it in a day and have been able to keep it heated very easily.

I did use OSB for tha walls after insulating them. I needed the protection from the cold here in Ohio. For some reason it gets really cold here despite the global warming.:D

Denny Rice
10-15-2007, 10:00 PM

LOL!!!!! My wifes back still hurts from all the drywall we hung in the shop! She told me never again.