PDA

View Full Version : Lie-Nielsen free demo days

Dave Anderson NH
10-11-2007, 3:17 PM
FYI for you folks who live in the Philadelphia/Eastern PA, South Jersey area. Lie- Nielsen is holding one of their fabulous free demos days this Friday and Saturday at the Philladelphia Furniture Workshop run by member Alan Turner. Info on the event is available at http://philadelphiafurnitureworkshop.com/view/show/1116

I went to the event last year held in Marlboro, MA and had a great time talking with and watching the demonstrators and some of the special guests like Konrad Sauer of Sauer & Steiner. If you're in the area, and a hand tool person it shouldn't be missed. Warning though, it's hard to walk out without lightening your wallet.

Mark Stutz
10-11-2007, 9:49 PM
I'm jealous! Too far to come this time. I'll have to settle for the LFOD in Indy next weekend.

The good folks at LN have promised me that eventually they'll get around to haveing one of these out here in the heartland.

Seriously. folks, the show last year in Marlboro was great and I'd highly recommend a trip to Philly if you are anywhere close.

Mark

Tom Henry
10-11-2007, 9:55 PM
I am going on Saturday!!!!:p

Ron Conlon
10-12-2007, 8:25 AM
I'm going today (Friday). Can't wait!

Michael Pilla
10-12-2007, 7:33 PM
I was there today for a few hours and am going back tomorrow. It's a great little event and I want to thank Alan and Mario at PFW for hosting. Hopefully this will become an annual thing.

Michael

Tom Henry
10-12-2007, 7:39 PM
I was there today for a few hours and am going back tomorrow. It's a great little event and I want to thank Alan and Mario at PFW for hosting. Hopefully this will become an annual thing.

Michael
Was it crowded? I am going tomorrow.:D

Michael Pilla
10-12-2007, 7:56 PM
One of the reasons I wanted to go today is because I thought the place would be empty since it's a workday and I'd have it all to myself. Well, not by a longshot. It wasn't "crowded" but it was very well attended. I'm thinking tomorrow will be even more.

See you there Tom-

Michael

Tom Henry
10-12-2007, 7:59 PM
How was the LN discount? Any good offers?

Michael Pilla
10-12-2007, 8:07 PM
I'm not sure. Today was stalking day, tomorrow is shopping day. I know that there is free shipping for anything not on hand that you order. For stuff that's on hand I didn't ask. I guess we'll both find out tomorrow :)

Jim Becker
10-12-2007, 9:45 PM
I'm juggling with doing the things I really need to do this weekend or heading down to the event. Tough choice all around...'will have to see what the morning brings. At least I have the option as this weekend, Professor Dr. SWMBO has YMCA duty with the girls in our little rotation... :D

Raney Nelson
10-12-2007, 10:24 PM
How was the LN discount? Any good offers?

Discount was 10%, which I believe is standard for LN at all events. If they have the item with them, you have to pay sales tax... if they have to ship it, they ship free and there is no sales tax.

I had a very good time at the event today. It was great to meet Michael, and a pleasure to talk to Tom Lie-Nielsen, and Chris Schwarz. The atmosphere was great - very informal, and an excellent chance to talk to some of the presenters.

For those who are interested in new tools, LN was showing two that I haven't heard any whisper of yet:

A 72-1/2 chamfer plane (I was not familiar with this, but it can also accept beading blades - same as the ones used in the #66 - for beading chamfers. Pretty cool idea, and TLN says the beading works really really well.)

The other was a #48 match plane - the one with the flip-around fence. Really beautiful plane. Improvements on the stanley design that I caught (other than the standard upgrades to materials and tolerances) were a wooden handle (sweet!) and a one-piece blade that was machined to really tight tolerance. Essentially, there is almost no setup for this plane - it does one thing, and one thing only - tongue and groove boards on a 7/8" center - but it does it well. There is also a #49 coming (the smaller size match plane). Both should show up around the beginning of the year.

All in all, I highly recommend anyone interested in handtools to attend one of these if they come to your area.

Matt Bickford
10-12-2007, 10:46 PM
I also went today in order to avoid the crowds. Alan estimated that there were nearly 100 guests at the event around 1pm today, Friday. I got there a little before 3. The crowd got steadily smaller as it approached the 6:00 close. There were probably no more than 15 guests present between 5 and 6.

The discount was 10% of an order of $350 or more. No discount otherwise Technically, it was a 7% increase due to taxes. (Of course, I send the state any owed taxes when I buy something over the internet, so I don't know what I'm talking about.)

Tom Henry
10-13-2007, 5:54 PM
OMG...I was in heaven at this event...Thank you Alan and Mario for hosting such a great event!

Also...I was able to get out of there without spending over $100!!!!:eek:

Michael Pilla
10-13-2007, 9:21 PM
Hey Tom, glad we could all be there for your "galoot coming out" event. You have the hat now so it's official :D

http://www.michaelpilla.com/forumphotos/ln92.jpg

Corvin Alstot
10-14-2007, 3:44 PM
Warning though, it's hard to walk out without lightening your wallet.

Exactly, I am not sure anyone can leave and say they when to a LN free demo!
Lets see the last time I went it, I got a set of LN chisels, they are extremely nice but hardly free.