PDA

View Full Version : Sad day for the shop

Marc Casebolt
10-11-2007, 3:16 PM
Hello all,
I have been in business for two years making custom furniture with my son. We started out slowly, but recently have been doing better with orders coming in, and the referals have picked up. I am very proud of the work we have done, and we have learned a lot about design and construction of fine furniture.
Recently however I was hit with a double whammy.
An illness in the familly (not me) has caused a loss of income and benifits, and my son has decided that this is no longer what he wants to spend his life doing.
So.... I have decided to sell the entire shop from the 16" jointer to the beer in the fridge. I have posted it for sale in the classifieds down stairs, so you can look at that if you want more info.
This is not an easy thing to do because it has been a dream of mine for years, but the family comes first, and I need a steady realiable income with benifits.
I believe that this business would have succeeded given more time and had my son stuck with it. The orders are out there, and when you can find them you can make a decent income. I have, however, run out of time. As for my son, we have had many conversations about this (as I'm sure you can imagine), and have come to the agreement that it's better to be honest about how he feels, than to continue with something that he no longer loves to do. Bummer.
So much for the long sad story.
I would add that I do believe that if you are willing to work hard, you can make a small shop work. There is great satisfaction in delivering a finished piece to your customer and see them oooh & ahhh over it. Designing an origional peice is challenging and rewarding. Since everything you make is a prototype, the challenges of construction are many, and getting through them is a lot of work and fun.
Here's what I have planned for the future. I am going to try to work totally neander. That's right, no power tools at all. Been there, done that. I'll re-configure the garage shop (small space), and reclaim woodworking as a hobby. I'm actually looking forward to it now. No more late nights and week ends unless I feel like it.
Sorry about the rambling on,

Marc

Kyle Kraft
10-11-2007, 3:20 PM
Marc,
Sorry about your situation. I hope you can find a suitable alternative income. It stinks to have a dream die.

Jim Becker
10-11-2007, 3:35 PM
Sad to hear that, Marc, but I do understand. Sometimes you have to make tough decisions that are right for those you care about, even when they interrupt a dream. Best wishes to you!

Nancy Laird
10-11-2007, 3:38 PM
Wow, Marc, that really is a bummer.:( I hope you're able to find a buyer for the whole kit and kaboodle rather than selling off piecemeal.

Nancy (71 days)

scott spencer
10-11-2007, 5:15 PM
Sorry to hear about the trials Marc. Hope everything works out favorably.

John W. Willis
10-11-2007, 5:54 PM
Marc,
I won't pretend to "know how you feel". I do know that things happen for a reason and some times it won't be made clear why for a long time. I feel sure that at some point you will realize, 'that was why" and it will be a good thing.

Richard Magbanua
10-12-2007, 1:16 AM
Marc,
I admire your character and heart. I pray that your family heals and your art continues.

Dan Barr
10-12-2007, 2:05 AM
Marc,

I'm hurting for you. its my same dream to one day open a shop of my own. I felt as though the possibility of my own success was being diminished somehow by your loss. got me too.

I'm very sorry to hear of your loss. I do admire your courage to forego the loss for the family. it takes a real man to put first things first.

good luck, you may be able to open it up again one day.

Dan

Al Barale
10-12-2007, 5:14 AM
Sorry to hear that you have to stop doing something that you really enjoy. Hope it all works out for you Marc.

harry strasil
10-12-2007, 7:37 AM
Marc, I sympathize with you, and know exactly how you feel. I have had my own business since I was 21, built up my clientele, my reputation and my tooling slowly over the years. Then I became disabled and unable to continue, bang. I was the third generation of my family to continue the Blacksmithing trade, I expanded into the welding and machine work areas of the trade to diversify and broaden my capabilities as Smithing alone was declining. My only son who may or maynot have been the 4th generation was killed when he was 17. The decision to dispose of the tools was one of the hardest decisions of my life. I have a mostly neander wood shop in my basement that I enjoyed to unwind from the daily rigors of a demanding daily schedule. I plan to keep a few of the shop tools and put them in half of my garage as a play pen of sorts, and the wood shop keeps me from going crazy.

I wish you the best of luck in your new endeavors and it is my sincerest hope that you make a success of whatever you change to.

Remember, "Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm", try not to look back to often as it will get to you rather quickly, Just look ahead and find new frontiers to explore.

Respectfully

Jr.